Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1954 and never caught the measles. Just lucky.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was born in 1954 and never caught the measles. Just lucky.
Yes, lucky, plus the vaccine came out when you were 9 years old. Rates dropped like a stone after the introduction of the vaccine. You may have been vaccinated, too.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:05 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
[quote=parentologist;56752854]Here's how to stay healthy once you have the measles. Take an effective antiviral medication that prevents you from getting viral encephalitis or viral pneumonia. Take an immune memory restorer that prevents measles from erasing your immune system"s ability to recognize prior infections. In fact, probably a good idea for the entire family to take these every day to support healthy immune function. I/QUOTE]

There is no anti-viral medication for measles and no such thing as an "immune memory restorer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I think what the poster was saying is look at the facts. Instead of *acting* like measles killed 90% of the population every year. Which some posters do with repetitious fear mongering.
The ones who do die from measles do not count, eh? How about the ones who get encephalitis and are permanently intellectually impaired? The ones with hearing loss?

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-30-2019 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 11:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The ones who do die from measles do not count, eh? How about the ones who get encephalitis and are permanently intellectually impaired? The ones with hearing loss?
Keep on topic please.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:16 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Unfortunately, I've never had the measles.

I asked the husband because he is 12 years older than I am & as he was born in 1956; he got to get the Measles. He was kept home & got a lot of soup & grilled cheese sandwiches. He got a rash & got better.

Dad got to get the measles too. His mom fussed over him, he got a rash & got better.

I'm literally jealous. Not because I want to be fussed over & eat a ton of grilled-cheese but because only having had the actual measles can protect you from all the new strains that 'that which cannot be discussed' has allowed to proliferate.

And these new strains DO seem to be a bit more dangerous; yet only the people who got to get the measles seem to be unfazed by it.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:16 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Interesting that the two medical professionals on here BOTH are old enough to have had measles as children. Not DEAD decades later. What disabilities do THEY themselves have today? This is true for the MAJORITY of those of we elderly now who had all those childhood diseases. How many people died from our latest measles outbreak of 1,300? NONE.

All living beings, animal or human, will die at some point. MEDICINE cannot and will not prevent DEATH, as much as THEY think they can.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Interesting that the two medical professionals on here BOTH are old enough to have had measles as children. Not DEAD decades later. What disabilities do THEY themselves have today? This is true for the MAJORITY of those of we elderly now who had all those childhood diseases. How many people died from our latest measles outbreak of 1,300? NONE.

All living beings, animal or human, will die at some point. MEDICINE cannot and will not prevent DEATH, as much as THEY think they can.
Who are the medical professionals who are posting?

Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:

Exactly who is saying that medicine can ultimately prevent death?

But we can definitely prevent certain kinds of misery and damage. And we should.

I for one am pretty glad the that the Black Death and smallpox have never been on the list of health problems that I have to be concerned with. Avoid fleas and get a shot, and poof - they're off my worry list.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-30-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I have a hearing loss from some VPD, either measles or mumps, per an audiologist.

The US was lucky, we did not have any deaths. I think it's likely there will be some cases of SSPE. It's more common in younger children who get measles. Universally fatal.
https://www.healio.com/infectious-di...nated-children
"More recent estimates showed that SSPE occurred in one in 5,560 children infected with measles before 1 year of age in England and Wales, and one in 1,700 children infected before 5 years of age in Germany. . . Additional investigations revealed that seven children were exposed to measles in California during a resurgence between 1988 and 1991, when more than 9,500 cases were reported in children younger than 5 years of age. During this time, the rate of SSPE was estimated to be one in 1,367 among children infected with measles before 5 years of age, and one in 609 infants infected before 1 year of age."

Old 11-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Unfortunately, I've never had the measles.

I asked the husband because he is 12 years older than I am & as he was born in 1956; he got to get the Measles. He was kept home & got a lot of soup & grilled cheese sandwiches. He got a rash & got better.

Dad got to get the measles too. His mom fussed over him, he got a rash & got better.

I'm literally jealous. Not because I want to be fussed over & eat a ton of grilled-cheese but because only having had the actual measles can protect you from all the new strains that 'that which cannot be discussed' has allowed to proliferate.

And these new strains DO seem to be a bit more dangerous; yet only the people who got to get the measles seem to be unfazed by it.
I do not remember anything about the three weeks I was down with measles. (That is from my first grade report card.) I think I was too sick. What are these "new strains that 'that which cannot be discussed' has allowed to proliferate"? The measles v****** protects against all strains, due to the nature of the measles virus. OTOH, all viruses mutate over time. V********** actually slows mutation because the fewer people there are to infect, the less mutating can go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness