U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:55 AM

31,261 posts, read 48,413,302 times

Advertisements

My son was recently biopsied and diagnosed w/an adenocarcenoma in abdominal area that is not operable. He will have chemotherapy after out of hospital.
His prior set of doctors apparently didn’t see a health risk in his losing 40 lbs over the past year or so
Now new doctors in new hospital system are working diligently to help him recover his strength so that he can begin chemo in 2020.
He has bad time in hospital bed blipping down toward the food of bed unless his knees are raised

What are good options to use at home when he is on a regular mattress to avoid slipping down?
Hopefully he will be more mobile/stronger by time he goes home and can sit in chair/couch vs spending so much time in bed...

I thought POOL NOODLE—large one or maybe several taped together—might be easy to use/remove

Any other suggestion>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:06 AM

19,565 posts, read 8,812,287 times
How about renting a hospital bed with a trapeze for him until he regains some strength? Some insurance policies will pay for this.

Or get a wedge pillow or an elevated leg pillow for use under his knees (search on amazon)

Do you have a recliner he can use? Does dual duty as both a chair to sit in and a bed to sleep in. Makes it easy for him to change his position w/out anyone's help.

I don't think pool noodles would help all that much - not firm enough.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

5,438 posts, read 8,815,573 times
Or try "bed risers" under the bed legs at foot of bed. (The opposite of those of us with reflux use to raise the head of the bed while keeping the sleeping surface "straight".

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bed+lifts...efix=bed+lifts

Or if just raising his knees works, and only sleeps on his back, then maybe a "body pillow" under his knees.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=body+pill...ix=body+pillow

Old Today, 12:06 PM

31,261 posts, read 48,413,302 times
Ok
I don’t think he will be So weak when they send him home he will need hospital bed—

Old Today, 12:39 PM

6,959 posts, read 3,253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ok
I don’t think he will be So weak when they send him home he will need hospital bed—
I think you are misunderstanding that a device that carries various positions :higher vertical on leg area or use of elevation is necessarily equal to a sick person.

A bed with these features can utilize the goal of proper positioning for the recovering person.

I personally recall the use of bean bag beds keeping the patient rested...no bed sores and low to the ground.

Old Today, 05:52 PM

98 posts, read 10,966 times
Sitting up on a bed needs different positioning than sitting up on a hard surface, or on a chair with a proper back and seat cushion. I would definitely recommend putting something under his knees while he's sitting up. This will help prevent back strain. Yogibo makes some awesome products, you're likely to find one of their stores at your nearby shopping mall. I have a small roll: https://www.yogibo.com/mini-roll-neck-pillow/

When I had knee surgery I used it under my knees when I slept. I also use it sometimes as a lumbar pillow when my back goes out. And one of my family members uses his in the car, to support his arm when he drives long distances. His car's armrest is too low for him to lean against it otherwise.

Best $20 I've spent in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or