Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 03:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Quit alcohol first. One year later, quit sugar.

Both had major impacts on health, general well being.

Quitting sugar was more difficult.
Were there no other lifestyle changes made during that period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
This "war on sugar" is no different than the war on fat from years ago. I absolutely do not see any correlation between sugar consumption and aging. At my worst diet wise I still had youthful skin. It's genetics. I consume sugar every day even now and my skin is still great. My mom looks youthful and my grandmother did as well.

That being said, anything in excess can lead to problems. Sweet is one of the tense sensations and one can enjoy it in moderation. And no, the sugar itself has no magical properties that cause addiction. You don't get true withdrawal symptoms either from reducing your intake. You CAN train yourself to eat moderate amounts. I don't want to deprive myself of the enjoyment of sweet foods.

I will continue to eat my glazed chicken, my (small) daily candy bar, fresh fruit from my backyard.

The key thing is that I eat less overall, don't displace healthy food with things like doughnuts, etc. Sugary snacks are "treats" to me and I don't drink soda or fruit juice. What has helped me age-wise is drinking basically nothing but water. More water can really help with wrinkles, actually.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
Abstinence saves lives!

Old 01-25-2020, 05:47 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
I try to cut out added and fake sugars. When I'm off sugar, I feel better and look better. It's great for my skin and my overall health.

I'm one of those "addicted to sugar" people. But I'm an addict is general (recovering alcoholic). Once I have a little sugar I just crave more and more and more. I cannot moderate my sugar intake, so I simply cut it out. This addiction is truly a food addiction - I can overeat on anything. Burgers, fries, pretzels, nuts, peanut butter, etc....

I do still eat fruit, but I have to be careful of that as well. I just crashed from overeating fruit salad a few weeks ago - it was eye opening! I agree that sugar is sugar - regardless of the source.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
From what I've read, alcohol IS sugar . When I'm drinking, I have no desire for sweets of any kind. Quit drinking then wanted to bake pies.

Avoiding processed foods will be the biggest help, I think.

But I find it hard to care anymore. It's all too wearisome and various deprivations have yielded nothing positive in my case.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
All women worry about aging, right? But what would you give up?

Make 2020 the Year of Less Sugar
Tara Parker-Pope
“Sugar turns on the aging programs in your body,” Dr. Lustig says. “The more sugar you eat, the faster you age.”
https://globalpossibilities.org/make...of-less-sugar/

What about men?

Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
. . . there is nothing empty about these calories. A growing body of scientific evidence is showing that fructose can trigger processes that lead to liver toxicity and a host of other chronic diseases

A growing body of epidemiological and mechanistic evidence argues that excessive sugar consumption affects human health beyond simply adding calories.

Importantly, sugar induces all of the diseases associated with metabolic syndrome.

1. hypertension (fructose increases uric acid, which raises blood pressure)
2. high triglycerides and insulin resistance through synthesis of fat in the liver
3. diabetes from increased liver glucose production combined with insulin resistance
4. the aging process, caused by damage to lipids, proteins and DNA through non-enzymatic binding of fructose to these molecules.

It can also be argued that fructose exerts toxic effects on the liver that are similar to those of alcohol.

This is no surprise, because alcohol is derived from the fermentation of sugar. Some early studies have also linked sugar consumption to human cancer and cognitive decline.

"The Toxic Truth About Sugar"

https://rdcu.be/b0LyO

Nature magazine
February 2, 2012

*First published in 1869, Nature is the world's leading multidisciplinary science journal. Nature publishes the finest peer-reviewed research that drives ground-breaking discovery, and is read by thought-leaders and decision-makers around the world. The quality and prestige associated with Nature is unsurpassed.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 AM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
From what I've read, alcohol IS sugar . When I'm drinking, I have no desire for sweets of any kind. Quit drinking then wanted to bake pies.
This was my experience as well.

During my drinking days, I never consumed sweets (didn't want any).

When I quit drinking, I developed a strong desire to consume sugar, and I did.

A year later, I quit sugar completely.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
. . . there is nothing empty about these calories. A growing body of scientific evidence is showing that fructose can trigger processes that lead to liver toxicity and a host of other chronic diseases

A growing body of epidemiological and mechanistic evidence argues that excessive sugar consumption affects human health beyond simply adding calories.

Importantly, sugar induces all of the diseases associated with metabolic syndrome.

2. high triglycerides and insulin resistance through synthesis of fat in the liver
3. diabetes from increased liver glucose production combined with insulin resistance
4. the aging process, caused by damage to lipids, proteins and DNA through non-enzymatic binding of fructose to these molecules.

It can also be argued that fructose exerts toxic effects on the liver that are similar to those of alcohol.

This is no surprise, because alcohol is derived from the fermentation of sugar. Some early studies have also linked sugar consumption to human cancer and cognitive decline.

Nature magazine
February 2, 2012

*First published in 1869, Nature is the world's leading multidisciplinary science journal. Nature publishes the finest peer-reviewed research that drives ground-breaking discovery, and is read by thought-leaders and decision-makers around the world. The quality and prestige associated with Nature is unsurpassed.
That article is not about nutrition but rather social engineering.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:28 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

Nature magazine
February 2, 2012

FYI Lustig has been discredited by many other scientists in the field. What many people miss out on when looking at sugar/fructose consumption is context and dosage. No where in the paper you linked did it talk about context and dosage. Dozens of research has shown that up to 100grams of sugar/fructose a day has no toxic effects on healthy individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness