Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 AM

924 posts, read 748,648 times

Advertisements

I am just curious if anyone else is in this situation, or knows someone who is.

My pulmonary doctor has me on the generic version of Advair, and this has worked really well for managing my asthma.

However, my prescription has recently come up for a refill, and the pharmacy is unable to order the medication. The guy whom I spoke to wasn't sure what the issue was, only that it could be several things related to the Covid-19 pandemic. So his suggestion was to call my doctor, and see if there's another medication she can recommend.

Problem is, most of the asthma medications which would effective are WAY too expensive, and there isn't a generic version for them. I still have some generic Advair left, and I'm also on something from my primary care doctor. But still, it's a frustrating situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 12:02 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,049,862 times
Have your tried another pharmacy? I’ve had the situation where one couldn’t get it and another had plenty. It’s worth a call around

Old 05-23-2020, 12:28 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,991,147 times
I'm taking either Proair or Albuterol since January and had some issues getting it filled. Mail-order pharmacy associated with my Part D insurance saying Proair not on my approved list and making me get my doctor to send new RX for Albuterol then telling me that's not on the list either and wanting $50 for one inhaler. Previous month I got it at my local pharmacy (same insurance) for $30. Way to be confusing right?

So I skipped the insurance racket and used goodrx coupon at local pharmacy and got 3 months supply for $50-something.
Real racket going on.

I do not know if Albuterol is at all what you need vs. Advair generic
But check goodrx and see if your local pharmacies carry your RX.
And check with your doctor and ask if they know where you can get it.
If you cannot get it ask your doctor what to do.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post

My pulmonary doctor has me on the generic version of Advair, and this has worked really well for managing my asthma.

However, my prescription has recently come up for a refill, and the pharmacy is unable to order the medication. The guy whom I spoke to wasn't sure what the issue was, only that it could be several things related to the Covid-19 pandemic. So his suggestion was to call my doctor, and see if there's another medication she can recommend.

Problem is, most of the asthma medications which would effective are WAY too expensive, and there isn't a generic version for them. I still have some generic Advair left, and I'm also on something from my primary care doctor. But still, it's a frustrating situation.
Those puffers are expensive, I don't buy them.
I have a nebulizer that works great.
Nebulizers are not expensive, I think the machine is only $25.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:24 PM

924 posts, read 748,648 times
Fortunately, I've got plenty of Albuterol....I use the liquid solution for the nebulizer, got a prescription for it back in September, and haven't needed to use much of it since.

I definitely do have to call my lung doctor's office, and let her know what the pharmacist had to say, and see what she thinks is best to do. I also do get some prescriptions filled at another pharmacy, so I might try and see if they can get ahold of the generic Advair. (although with their automated phone system, it's really tough to get ahold of the actual pharmacy staff)

Old 05-24-2020, 06:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,652,056 times
Quote:
Fortunately, I've got plenty of Albuterol....I use the liquid solution for the nebulizer, got a prescription for it back in September, and haven't needed to use much of it since.

I definitely do have to call my lung doctor's office, and let her know what the pharmacist had to say, and see what she thinks is best to do. I also do get some prescriptions filled at another pharmacy, so I might try and see if they can get ahold of the generic Advair. (although with their automated phone system, it's really tough to get ahold of the actual pharmacy staff)
A friend who is challenged with asthma that came on in her later life, is using her inhalers much less since she's taking the powerful antioxidant I've talked about so much in Alt Med and Supplements. I will be updating some info in the Supplements area soon. Good to work on reducing asthma condition, then possibly the less need for the inhaler and the cost and availability concerns.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,053,948 times
Quote:

I suffered from severe asthma my entire life. It was bad enough to be hospitalized many times when I was a kid. I started taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 every day 10 years ago, and my asthma completely went away. I went off the vitamin D, and sure enough it slowly came back. I have no symptoms at all and no longer have to use an inhaler for 10+years. I am willing to bet it will work for you too. It only costs $20 a year and has many other health benefits unlike an inhaler.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I suffered from severe asthma my entire life. It was bad enough to be hospitalized many times when I was a kid. I started taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 every day 10 years ago, and my asthma completely went away. I went off the vitamin D, and sure enough it slowly came back. I have no symptoms at all and no longer have to use an inhaler for 10+years. I am willing to bet it will work for you too. It only costs $20 a year and has many other health benefits unlike an inhaler.
That's wonderful Katie, to be off steroids is major. They are so damaging overall.

Rep back at you.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Got to thinking about this issue and did some research. There is plenty out there about how optimal Vit D could help people rid themselves of inhalers.

https://www.cochrane.org/news/high-q...asthma-attacks

Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Got to thinking about this issue and did some research. There is plenty out there about how optimal Vit D could help people rid themselves of inhalers.

https://www.cochrane.org/news/high-q...asthma-attacks
So did you read the link you just posted?

If so could you point out where in the review the authors mention anything about asthma sufferers being able to “rid themselves of inhalers”?

Vitamin D is not now and has never been an “alternative “ to proper medical management if asthma and none of these ruminations are of any help to the OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness