Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:33 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,769,836 times

Advertisements

Not posting in mental health because I don't really consider this a mental health problem. I'm not depressed or anxious; I've just always suffered from chronic insomnia. I have the kind of brain that keeps going and doesn't "turn off" without some kind of trigger or help. (And, no, I don't have ADHD, either.) As a child and young person, I would sit up for hours reading books, but now that I'm older, I need my zzzzzz's! Having not only recently read about dementia risk increasing with benzodiazepine use (this is about the only thing that's worked well for me; a very small dose) and also now having watched multiple You Tubes about my hero Jordan Peterson's recent hellish experience withdrawing from them (thanks, quarantine binge watching), I'm now seeking alternatives. You're welcome to suggest natural homeopathic remedies, but I can assure you I've probably tried them all over the years without any success, including lots of fresh air and exercise. I'm fine with a prescription drug, even with an off-label use of one that's effective for this purpose, but would prefer not to use a "schedule" drug or obviously one that's potentially addictive.

Go!

Last edited by otterhere; 07-04-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 02:44 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,665,142 times
Do a search - LOTS of threads on insomnia

Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM

20,017 posts, read 8,908,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Do a search - LOTS of threads on insomnia
Isn't asking other people for help doing research?

Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM

"Already lots of other threads on this topic" could apply to virtually any thread on City Data, but point taken. That said, old threads wouldn't tell me if there were anything new on the horizon, and they also tend to lean heavily on natural remedies, from what I've already read (which I've already said don't work for me).

Old 07-04-2020, 03:29 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,979,287 times
For years I took a very small dose (0.5 mg) of Ativan, a benzodiazepine. I slept very well while using it, but about a year ago, my then-doctor (long story) made me taper off of it. She said benzodiazepines can hasten the onset of dementia. I got off the Ativan with no problems, except for insomnia.

My new doctor agreed with the former one regarding discontinuing the Ativan. When I told her about the insomnia, she prescribed Trazodone (50 mg). It's not a benzodiazepine; it's an old-school antidepressant that's prescribed more these days for sleep rather than depression.

She told me at first to take a half a tablet, and I did, but it did nothing for me. Then I tried a full tablet, and I have to say, for the past few months it's worked very well for me. I sleep well, all night long.

In addition, I've completely stopped taking naps during the day. I used to be a world-class napper, but I've found that if I nap during the day, I have a terrible time falling asleep at night.

Also I started setting my alarm clock so that I get up early -- well, early for me ... 7:30 a.m. So I'm really tired when bedtime comes around.

So the combination of Trazodone, no naps, and early rising has really worked well for me to defeat insomnia.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
For years I took a very small dose (0.5 mg) of Ativan, a benzodiazepine. I slept very well while using it, but about a year ago, my then-doctor (long story) made me taper off of it. She said benzodiazepines can hasten the onset of dementia. I got off the Ativan with no problems, except for insomnia.

My new doctor agreed with the former one regarding discontinuing the Ativan. When I told her about the insomnia, she prescribed Trazodone (50 mg). It's not a benzodiazepine; it's an old-school antidepressant that's prescribed more these days for sleep rather than depression.

She told me at first to take a half a tablet, and I did, but it did nothing for me. Then I tried a full tablet, and I have to say, for the past few months it's worked very well for me. I sleep well, all night long.

In addition, I've completely stopped taking naps during the day. I used to be a world-class napper, but I've found that if I nap during the day, I have a terrible time falling asleep at night.

Also I started setting my alarm clock so that I get up early -- well, early for me ... 7:30 a.m. So I'm really tired when bedtime comes around.

So the combination of Trazodone, no naps, and early rising has really worked well for me to defeat insomnia.
No troublesome side effects from the trazadone? Also, did you go directly from one to the other or wean off the benzo first?

Last edited by otterhere; 07-04-2020 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-04-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No troublesome side effects from the trazadone?
Nothing other than weight gain. But then I've been staying at home chowing down on junk food for the past couple of months, so that could be the culprit too.

Edited to add: I take the Trazodone at about 5:00 p.m., and go to bed at around 10:30. I'm not at all groggy from the medication when I wake up.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Nothing other than weight gain. But then I've been staying at home chowing down on junk food for the past couple of months, so that could be the culprit too.

Edited to add: I take the Trazodone at about 5:00 p.m., and go to bed at around 10:30. I'm not at all groggy from the medication when I wake up.
I certainly don't need weight gain as a side effect (for the same reason).

So after taking a benzo every night for years, you just stopped and started taking another class of drug? I thought you were supposed to slowly wean yourself off those.

One natural remedy I haven't tried yet is valerian root. Anyone?

Last edited by otterhere; 07-04-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 PM

21,474 posts, read 8,665,544 times
Quote:
I've tried it, and it is relaxing, but the effect is pretty mild, and it didn't help me sleep.

Quote:
No troublesome side effects from the trazadone? Also, did you go directly from one to the other or wean off the benzo first?
I'm not WellShoneMoon, but I've taken trazodone and would like to share my experience.

It worked really well as a sleep aid and helped somewhat with my depression, too. But after several years of taking it nightly, I started noticing weird neurological symptoms. My balance was off, and I would get brief dizzy spells. The spells only lasted a moment or two, but it was unnerving.

I also started noticing muscle twitches in my hands, upper legs and arms and torso. After I took several falls and sprained my ankle twice, I got off the drug. The dizzy spells went away, but even after more than 10 years trazodone-free, I still have the occasional muscle twitch.

I still have insomnia, but now my routine is completely different. I use 3-4 mg. melatonin nightly along with 25 mg. of CBD tincture and a 15 mg. indica capsule. That's been working well and without any unpleasant side effects.

Two cautions: There are a lot of low-quality CBD products out there from scamsters who are taking advantage of the craze. Some of these products contain little or no actual CBD. This might be the reason some people try it but think it doesn't do anything. I'd never buy CBD from Amazon or at a gas station or drug store. I get mine directly from a manufacturer in Colorado who ships nationwide and gets high ratings for the quality of the product.

Another thing to remember, if you are considering cannabis, is that as a newbie you need to be very, very conservative with the dosage because you have no tolerance to the effects of THC. No more than 1.5 to 5 mgs. at first, then wait a couple of hours to see how it affects you. Also, use indica strains only as sativas can be energizing and even cause anxiety and paranoia if you're not an experienced user.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I certainly don't need weight gain as a side effect (for the same reason).

So after taking a benzo every night for years, you just stopped and started taking another class of drug? I thought you were supposed to slowly wean yourself off those.

No I didn’t just stop. I tapered, it took me a few weeks to get off the Ativan.

I have tried valerian, but experienced next-day grogginess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness