U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM

6,031 posts, read 2,669,779 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the colonoscopy post, I am curious.

I had my last one at 50, and decided no more. False positives and other reasons.

Anyone else?

ETA, I do get colonoscopies. Had polyps. Each cancer is different...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM

3,687 posts, read 1,537,342 times
Yes. I have never gotten one and I am not going to.

I have heavily researched the issue and come to the conclusion that they are not worth it for me. I am getting thermal tests and stocking up on vitamin D.

I think here is even more evidence that mammography can be harmful than colonoscopy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4582264/

Old 07-08-2020, 12:50 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,357,732 times
Age 73, I still get one every year, because why not?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:57 PM

13,497 posts, read 5,729,667 times
I still get them, but they aren't 100% accurate, that's for sure. But no medical test can be 100% accurate.

I still think women should get them and if they don't, they should consider an alternative of thermography, which doesn't involve radiation.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 2,599,800 times
I stopped because they are just too painful. I think there is a new method that is patient controlled which i might consider.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:11 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,883,149 times
One of my sisters caught it so early with her annual mammogram, she didn't need to have her breast removed or need chemo....if she hadn't had the mammogram, she would have needed both, or eventually died from it like two of my other sisters who never got mammograms.

With four sisters and two aunts with breast cancer, why would I not?

Old 07-08-2020, 03:06 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,601,028 times
If I still had breasts, I'd have mammograms, uncomfortable or not.

At 53, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer. My routine mammogram found it. Twenty years later I'm still fine. I had a double mastectomy with no chemo nor radiation. I'd always had lumpy/fibrocystic breasts so I'd been getting thermograms as well for years with no other issues. Then my number came up. But because of my built-in lumpiness, I felt the best course of action was to remove the culprits as I viewed them as ticking timebombs from that point forward. I've never regretted my decision.

Just saying . . .

Old 07-08-2020, 03:30 PM

3,687 posts, read 1,537,342 times
I am considering doing this..

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...mmogram-122815

Old 07-08-2020, 04:12 PM

12,609 posts, read 6,173,660 times
Do we really need a repeat of the previous thread with different details? Gotta suspect your motivation. OP you KNOW it will just start another useless debate. Those who will do it and why, those who won't do it and why (and who they are is pretty predictable), those who will bend over backwards and dredge up every statistic on complications to justify their POV despite the fact that their situation won't be directly applicable to anyone else's. Anyone who is truly so ignorant about mammograms that they're hoping to learn something from this thread won't. They'll hear a bunch of anecdotes, opinions, possibly a list of carefully selected links to fearmonger stories.

FWIW I did get mammograms. No indications that I was any more prone to cancer than anyone else. My first ever mammogram found cancer (so much for radiation causing or smashing spreading anything) and another one years later found it again. Same type, different spot. Because of the first diagnosis, the second was found early enough to preclude needing further treatment. Now that I've gotten rid of the primary problem(s) I won't be wanting this test in future (guess that means I've quit?). I happen to be pleased as punch that the test enabled me to stick around longer than if I hadn't had them. End of story.

Knock yourselves out folks, I'm out.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-08-2020 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 04:29 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,129,049 times
Well I only ever had one, at age 39, and 6 months later a very visible tumor developed, which happened to have a few hidden friends, and I had a double mastectomy. And I still tell all my friends to get their annual mammograms and colonoscopies.

There’s nothing like knowing you could have easily died from something you survived, if you had waited longer to act on it. The fear of what could have happened if the visible tumor had not shown itself when it did, still haunts me years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness