Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 04:32 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

I had mine special fitted . Three d printers help make the nose piece more conforming.
No sense in wearing one if your constantly removing it with your non sterile hands or having it slide. Learn the correct way and get one that conforms.

I can wear mine better inside . It's when it's raining outside that my mask is ruined.

If your nostrils are exposed, covid thanks you. You just opened an easy entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 04:32 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
We're required to wear them at the supermarket where I work. Cleaning carts, bagging groceries, helping customers to their cars, clean-up in aisle 7, stocking shelves, all of that - while wearing a mask. We can wear the store's own design of cloth mask, or any solid-color mask cloth or otherwise. But we have to wear it. If we're on break, in the breakroom, but we're not eating, we have to keep the mask on as long as there are other people in the breakroom at the same time.

Considering how many thousands of people we've been in close physical contact with since February when this broke out down here (Florida), we've done pretty good. So far in our store - only one person has been diagnosed with COVID-19. One. A second one is suspected but that person left because they weren't feeling well and as far as I know they haven't returned.

What this says to me is that the masks are doing what they're supposed to do: minimize risk.

So we just remind ourselves of that when we deal with the sweat, the zits (omg it's SO bad for your skin to wear these things all day), the smell of our own breath when we forget it's a BAD idea to eat garlic bread on our break...

and when we have a chance, with no customers too close by, we pull the top of the mask out an inch to catch some fresh air.

Well said

Dr's, pharmacists, nurses, techs, therapists, EMTs and others who come in contact with COVID patients all day, sometimes 18 hours, or more

So QUIT COMPLAINING and wear your damn mask!!!!!

If you are worried about maskne, read this:

https://www.health.com/condition/ski...acne-mechanica

Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I wore a mask all day every day at work for many years, never had a problem with it.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:09 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I dont know but i dont think it is healthy either because you are breathing back in your own co2 aka mouth waist eww , My dr does not think they are healthy to wear either but until you have an alternative what are you going to do ?
The average lung volume is six liters- that's the equivalent of three two-liter soda bottles. The amount of breath retained by any mask is but a tiny, tiny fraction of that- completely insignificant in comparison. Breathing through a mask presents zero health risk. Your 'mouth waste' is essentially nil. If your doctor said that, he is an idiot and you need to get a new one. Remember, there are doctors out there who graduated at the bottom of their class, just barely above failing...yours sounds like one of them.

I have been diagnosed with COPD. My job often requires me to wear a mask for hours at a time in up to 130* temperatures, to protect me from dust due to sanding of cedar wood and painting with high-pressure spray-guns. The masks I have to wear are far more restrictive than the surgical and other type masks that people need to wear for CoViD, only slightly less than an N95 mask. These masks present no issues beyond 'inconvenience' despite my COPD.

People just need to wear the friggin' masks, there are no valid excuses not to.

If everyone wore masks, we would be in a lot better shape...as evidenced by the rising infections and deaths due to people *not* doing so. The Trumpster and his sidekick Pence (frelling idiots) are doing this country a great disservice by their words and actions contrary to the advice presented by scientific and medical experts. I voted for Trump/Pence, but their behavior in this crisis is inexcusable, and is directly resulting in the deaths of people who might have otherwise survived had they stepped up and displayed the leadership necessary in this event.

On the other side of that same coin, the Dem governor of my state, for whom I did not vote, has displayed excellent leadership in this crisis by taking a hard line, shutting down the state early and thereby saving thousands of lives in what is arguably one of the 'grayest' states in the country.

People who refuse to wear masks, and [alleged] 'leaders' who refuse to take a lesson from the deadly effects of the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic, are perpetuating and re-creating a similar deadly effect. We have been here before, and to ignore the lessons of history is completely and inexcusably stupid.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
To Zymer: I think the worst part about wearing a mask, at least for me, is that my breath is very WARM - and I'm doing physical work sometimes in the hot sun, in Florida, in the summertime. I'm already uncomfortable, wearing a polyester uniform shirt and long black pants, socks and leather (shineable) shoes, because that's what we're required to wear.

Now add a mask to it and you've got major discomfort, sweat drenching the inside of the mask, and having to wear it for 4-8 hours per day (depending on the shift).

The upside to all this physical activity, is that it's actually easier to breathe through that mask, than if I wasn't physically active. Breathing heavy is the trick to not feeling like you're being suffocated by that thing covering your mouth and nose. So physical activity makes you breathe heavier, therefore making the fresh air pull in and your exhaled breath push out of the mask more efficiently.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
To Zymer: I think the worst part about wearing a mask, at least for me, is that my breath is very WARM - and I'm doing physical work sometimes in the hot sun, in Florida, in the summertime. I'm already uncomfortable, wearing a polyester uniform shirt and long black pants, socks and leather (shineable) shoes, because that's what we're required to wear.

Now add a mask to it and you've got major discomfort, sweat drenching the inside of the mask, and having to wear it for 4-8 hours per day (depending on the shift).

The upside to all this physical activity, is that it's actually easier to breathe through that mask, than if I wasn't physically active. Breathing heavy is the trick to not feeling like you're being suffocated by that thing covering your mouth and nose. So physical activity makes you breathe heavier, therefore making the fresh air pull in and your exhaled breath push out of the mask more efficiently.
I find the opposite. I can barely deal with it when I'm sedentary, but if I start to breath heavily if feels like I'm suffocating. And lots of us work are finding we can't wear lab glasses with a mask because they fog up. They gave us face shields and lots of people are wearing those without a mask. I cheat and uncover my nose while wearing the mask. I'm not worried - I'm 99% certain that I already had covid. And I probably exposed a lot of people at work too.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:49 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
As someone with an asthmatic condition, I wouldn't want to wear one 8 hrs, 3+ days a week. I thank God that these days, I don't have to be out working anywhere & I hope it stays that way!

If I was anyone who had to go to work, I'd buy myself a desk fan to keep some air ventilation flowing & to be cooler as well as get an air purifier OR at least 2-3 plants to increase the quality of the air around my workspace.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 PM

90 posts, read 99,505 times
I’m lucky enough to be issued a rigid N-95, which gives me space to breathe. I find the surgical masks incredibly hard to breathe in, and they fog up my glasses.

Cloth masks help a little, but they don’t block enough to be worth wearing imo. I have zero doubt in my mind that I would have coronavirus by now if I had been wearing a cloth mask in the field these past few months. I’ve walked through halls of 20+ coronavirus patients, and transported countless others, and I still don’t have it.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 PM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
In my line of work, we sometimes have to work with hazardous chemicals. It's not a daily thing, but we've had a few projects where everyone on the job wears respirators as long as they are in the cleanup area. Those things are a lot more uncomfortable than masks. Masks do some good if they just block whatever spray of droplets you might be inhaling/exhaling (even if some air is getting in around the edges). Respirators literally block out all the air except what's coming in through the filter. Breathing in them is hard, and you have to get medical clearance to wear one. Masks seem so much easier to deal with in comparison.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:48 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
The new 'tan lines' of 2020: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...her-1721009143.

I have to wear surgical masks all day. Sometimes I have to wear the N95s which I do find difficult with glasses and goggles that fog up. Some companies require medical checkups for wearing even the N95s. They want to make sure people do not pass out because their oxygen levels go too low. They also want to make sure that you can use the N95s with the proper fit; so there is also a 'fit test'. No facial hair is allowed or otherwise, they will not even test you to give you that stamp of approval.

Where is all of the talk about facial hair and masks? Facial hair nullifies any of the benefits of wearing a mask because you do not get a proper seal. Of course, there are avid beard/mustache lovers that would never touch one little hair. But I have not heard the protest. Or have I heard of health professionals fighting to have people shave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness