Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 06:30 PM

7,238 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

I think it is. Obviously there is a gut microbiome and obviously it might have more to do with our health than known before but the sudden scientific research (and products) that comes to nothing?

There isn't a day I go by that another study doesn't comes up that says something but provides no actionable way to do anything about it. For instance at one point they said people with certain bacteria were fatter than others but still yet, they are not able to do anything with that information.

Sometimes I hear completely outlandish studies come (usually with gut microbiome) out and I cannot believe that people do not question them. One I saw that said if you don't get a lot of fiber to feed your bacteria in your large intestine, you bacteria will eat your large intestine lining -- seriously. For millions of years humans just ate largely meat but people who live in starvation like conditions are not getting fiber? They seem to still have an intestine. These studies imho seem to be with the purpose to back up generally accepted things. Like yogurt, fiber, whole grains. Or to back up product manufactuers.

This whole 'wing' of research seems rife with people who seem willing to report just about anything but never have to produce anything with it? Seems like a great way to get research money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 03:57 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I think it is. ....This whole 'wing' of research seems rife with people who seem willing to report just about anything but never have to produce anything with it? Seems like a great way to get research money.
We can agree on this one.....Much more likely that having a disease changes the bowel flora rather than changes in the bowel flora causes a disease.

To begin with, they don't even have a good handle on what a "normal" bowel flora is, so how do they know the diseased pts have an "abnormal" one?...and again, no evidence changing the bowel flora helps treat the disease. Read the "Results" sections of the papers. If they were students, you'd give them a "fail."

Given that the bowel has been evolving for 3 billion yrs, I'd trust Mother Nature to have it down pat by now. There's a reason 90% of our lymphoid tissue is lining the colon.

Fads come & go in research, dictated mainly by funding-- If your research finds no problem, then you get no more money.... Even if you're studying eye color in the Sumerian Sand Fly, just say it's responsible for Global Warming or Cancer (even better- BOTH) and you're assured of endless govt research money. No need to ever look for a real job again.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:27 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
I think it is. Obviously there is a gut microbiome and obviously it might have more to do with our health than known before but the sudden scientific research (and products) that comes to nothing?

There isn't a day I go by that another study doesn't comes up that says something but provides no actionable way to do anything about it. For instance at one point they said people with certain bacteria were fatter than others but still yet, they are not able to do anything with that information.

Sometimes I hear completely outlandish studies come (usually with gut microbiome) out and I cannot believe that people do not question them. One I saw that said if you don't get a lot of fiber to feed your bacteria in your large intestine, you bacteria will eat your large intestine lining -- seriously. For millions of years humans just ate largely meat but people who live in starvation like conditions are not getting fiber? They seem to still have an intestine. These studies imho seem to be with the purpose to back up generally accepted things. Like yogurt, fiber, whole grains. Or to back up product manufactuers.

This whole 'wing' of research seems rife with people who seem willing to report just about anything but never have to produce anything with it? Seems like a great way to get research money.
Research is cumulative and collaborative; something tangible is not going to be produced with every bit of published research. The goal of most medical research is pharmaceutical development. No one wants to fund research that has no promise of leading to a big return on investment. Pharma needs something that can be developed and is eligible for patent, which typically requires a lot of cumulative research.

Product marketing. Manufacturers take advantage of research by loosely interpreting it and producing products that many people will buy. It leads to trends like so-called superfoods, OTC probiotics and more. There is propaganda everywhere one looks; marketing tactics designed to look like miracle cures citing limited research. A quick fix is what many people are looking for but will never find.

It's well-established in the 21st century that diet and lifestyle factors lead to chronic illnesses, and that they can be improved and often even reversed by changing diet and lifestyle. It's up to the individual to figure out what works best because everyone is different. This is not profitable for pharma.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 AM

7,238 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Research is cumulative and collaborative; something tangible is not going to be produced with every bit of published research. .
Not asking for every bit but it is has been a good 10 years now and I see no concrete evidence of anything. Just the "promise" that if you vaguely eat more yogurt you will be healthy. This leads me to believe that even if they are right about any of their conclusions... the fact that we have been utterly unable to influence bacteria to achieve results renders it all meaningless...

Old 07-10-2020, 10:19 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
There is a lot not understood about the colonization of the colon by bacteria, and also what constitutes a healthy balance between "good and bad". There are peer reviewed papers that do describe how changes can affect the outcome of some conditions e.g Ulcerative Colitis but these have been few and far between, and the results are too variable to draw any firm conclusions. It just shows the individuality of the human organism....what works in one, may not in another. It all comes down to being "in touch" with your body, and knowing what works/worked for you with diet.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:23 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Not asking for every bit but it is has been a good 10 years now and I see no concrete evidence of anything. Just the "promise" that if you vaguely eat more yogurt you will be healthy. This leads me to believe that even if they are right about any of their conclusions... the fact that we have been utterly unable to influence bacteria to achieve results renders it all meaningless...
Then don't eat yogurt - problem solved!

Is there anything that's isn't a scam, when it comes to medical science?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:35 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:

You are talking about product marketing. What legitimate research found that you will be healthy from just eating more yogurt? Dairy is not good for many people, with some estimates at 70% of the world's population. Some populations that traditionally eat yogurt, are healthy and were studied are not eating factory-processed pasteurized supermarket yogurt with added sugars and other additives.

You won't get concrete evidence because the same things don't work for everyone. I found from experience that dairy products don't work for me. I positively influence my gut microbiome by avoiding dairy.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:07 PM

440 posts, read 240,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We can agree on this one.....Much more likely that having a disease changes the bowel flora rather than changes in the bowel flora causes a disease.

To begin with, they don't even have a good handle on what a "normal" bowel flora is, so how do they know the diseased pts have an "abnormal" one?...and again, no evidence changing the bowel flora helps treat the disease. Read the "Results" sections of the papers. If they were students, you'd give them a "fail."

Given that the bowel has been evolving for 3 billion yrs, I'd trust Mother Nature to have it down pat by now. There's a reason 90% of our lymphoid tissue is lining the colon.

Fads come & go in research, dictated mainly by funding-- If your research finds no problem, then you get no more money.... Even if you're studying eye color in the Sumerian Sand Fly, just say it's responsible for Global Warming or Cancer (even better- BOTH) and you're assured of endless govt research money. No need to ever look for a real job again.
Mother nature evolving us over 3 billion years has only recently had to contend with antibiotics. Modern Science/Medicine is beginning to see many diseases as an inflammatory process, and good gut flora may play an important role. What do you think antibiotics do to your gut flora?

Old 07-10-2020, 12:56 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
For millions of years humans just ate largely meat but people who live in starvation like conditions are not getting fiber?
This isn't the case. Carnivorous groups like the Inuit are the exception, not the rule today and that was the case for our hominid ancestors as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_human_diet

Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
This isn't the case. Carnivorous groups like the Inuit are the exception, not the rule today and that was the case for our hominid ancestors as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_human_diet
Have you ever seen the documentary "The History of Food"? It's about the evolution of the human diet over time told from an anthropological, historical and cultural perspective. I found it very informative.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10234500/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness