Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times

Advertisements

OP, you and your friend both need to quarantine either at home or when you arrive in VT for 7-14 days. Details here....
https://www.healthvermont.gov/respon...veling-vermont
https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

Between the quarantine situation, which it seems your friend can't do because of her job, and your immunocompromised status, I don't think this trip is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I am trying to figure out whether to stay or go.

I have a timeshare week in September in Vermont. I live in Norfolk County, MA. As far as I know, I have not been infected by the virus; I mostly stay home (in an apartment in a large condo complex) but go out to walk my dog and go to medical or veterinary appointments, wearing a mask. I get my groceries delivered; and occasionally get a curbside restaurant meal (or delivery). Sometimes I meet one of my friends for a socially distant walk; we both wear masks.

I am in three higher-risk groups for COVID -19: I'm immunocompromised (taking Ibrance, a chemotherapy pill, for estrogen-reactive metastatic breast cancer), close to 65, and am technically in the 'morbidly obese' category (by 10 or 15 lbs.). I won't be done with the chemo for at least another 18 months or so unless it has worse effects on me. My oncologist says (I asked) that my immune system has "some" function, but it is not normal.

Usually, when I go to my timeshare in Vermont, I enjoy going to various indoor eateries, bookstores, the Shelburne Museum, etc., as. well as hanging out in the timeshare unit relaxing and enjoying the view. The timeshare unit has a kitchen. I always go there with a friend; because I am not good at driving long distances (i.e. more than two hours in one drive, per day) alone. The friend I plan to go with this year has been out of her home to some extent recently, but she does not go to large gathering, and usually wears a mask; and works two days a week in her office (which is cleaned/disinfected and others wear masks too).

So my dilemma is - how much of a risk would it be for me to drive to Vermont with my friend, in the same car (perhaps we'd open the windows a bit, we could try not to talk, and we'd wear masks), and spend the weekend in Vermont, trying not to go into stores or other enclosed areas for more than say, 15 minutes or so, maybe do one restaurant if the tables are socially distant, keeping my mask on, and, inside the unit, trying to keep at least 4 ft. away from my friend? The place will still be there next year; and perhaps the COVID19 risk will be less (or greater).

I asked my oncologist, and he said I would probably be "safer" not going. I asked my primary care physician and he was literally clueless; said he didn't pay attention to the COVID19 statistics between different parts of the country.

Should I play it safe or have a modified vacation (masks, not going into places I normally visit and places I'd like to see, or at least not go for long)? I could take a 'staycation' at home and send my friend up to Vermont to use the timeshare with a friend or relative of hers...

I keep going back and forth...If I weren't immunocompromised, I'd go. Hoping that in 2022, the virus will be more under control and my immune system will be back up and kicking.

Of course you'd be safer NOT going. In my opinion? DO NOT TAKE THIS RISK.

It sounds like a lovely vacation. I totally understand the need to get away. I would be tempted myself, but please don't.

As you wrote, the condo and Vermont, one of my favorite places, will still be here. We can't predict the future. We haven't even gotten this under control. We aren't even close. Sadly, you are right - It could be worse next year. But let's hope that isn't the case.

I am in a couple of risk categories, but fewer than yours. I am also over 60-but not yet 65. I have asthma. I am at my normal weight and I am not on chemo, though , and I still would not go.

Look it's tough. It sounds like a sweet vacay - the kind I'd really enjoy. Be safe, and stay home.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,384 times
Thank you, everyone who replied. I needed to hear opinions from intelligent people who could look at my post objectively.

I think I'll stay home in September. Hopefully, in two years, when (presumably) I will no longer be immunocompromised, I can return to Vermont.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:19 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out whether to stay or go.

I have a timeshare week in September in Vermont. I live in Norfolk County, MA.
Another factor is that Norfolk County, MA is designated on the Vermont site as a county where, if you travel from there to Vermont, you are subject to travel restrictions. So, you and your friend will be quite limited in what you should be doing once you get to Vermont, anyway.

See this:

Old 07-30-2020, 11:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I just saw this post and your final decision. This particular trip may not be feasible for you this year, but I would make plans closer to home and get out within reason... and do some things you enjoy. I'm not familiar with your area of the county and the specific amenities. I would get together a picnic lunch... takeout or your favorite gourmet wine and cheese or whatever makes you happy and get that friend and go to a park or a beach or mountain and have a picnic. Walk around and just enjoy some fresh air. You could do this in your local area and window shop and grab coffee at the coffee shop and eat outside. Two years to get out and enjoy yourself a little is two years wasted.

I got back from a socially distanced visit to see family a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in hotels and a cottage that were mainly empty. We met family on a patio at a restaurant, in a state food with takeout food and the patio of our cottage and my dad's garden. It felt really good to have a change.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Regina, I wish you well in your fight against cancer. Hugs...

Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Regina, I wish you well in your fight against cancer. Hugs...
So far, I am winning the battle; thanks in part to the tumors being estrogen-reactive (I'm on Letrozole for the rest of my life, according to my oncologist). Since I was diagnosed and biopsied; my tumors have shrunk; a few have disappeared. My oncologist told me that I would be fighting the battle for the forseeable future, but that my lifespan might be just as long as if I didn't have the cancer.

I'm just happy that my chemo is via pills and the side-effects are negligible.

Thank you for your good wishes, always appreciated!

Old 07-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I just saw this post and your final decision. This particular trip may not be feasible for you this year, but I would make plans closer to home and get out within reason... and do some things you enjoy. I'm not familiar with your area of the county and the specific amenities. I would get together a picnic lunch... takeout or your favorite gourmet wine and cheese or whatever makes you happy and get that friend and go to a park or a beach or mountain and have a picnic. Walk around and just enjoy some fresh air. You could do this in your local area and window shop and grab coffee at the coffee shop and eat outside. Two years to get out and enjoy yourself a little is two years wasted.

I got back from a socially distanced visit to see family a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in hotels and a cottage that were mainly empty. We met family on a patio at a restaurant, in a state food with takeout food and the patio of our cottage and my dad's garden. It felt really good to have a change.

When it's a bit cooler and less buggy, I will probably try to meet my friend at a park for a picnic. We'll see. And I will definitely walk the beach in the fall. As it is, I go out every day, usually 3-4 times per 24 hours, in the fresh air, to walk my dog.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Another factor is that Norfolk County, MA is designated on the Vermont site as a county where, if you travel from there to Vermont, you are subject to travel restrictions. So, you and your friend will be quite limited in what you should be doing once you get to Vermont, anyway.

See this:

Not exactly:

"Residents of other states who live in a quarantine county or are from any other state outside of the Northeast (including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia), must follow quarantine guidelines:
Travelers arriving to Vermont in a personal vehicle, may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in their home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions."

From the same page, I believe. I would have been traveling to Vermont, as would my friend, in "a personal vehicle", rather than a bus or plane.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:37 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Thank you, everyone who replied. I needed to hear opinions from intelligent people who could look at my post objectively.

I think I'll stay home in September. Hopefully, in two years, when (presumably) I will no longer be immunocompromised, I can return to Vermont.
I'm glad that you made this wise decision. It's funny, I would love nothing more than a week away, without my husband, and with a good friend, to someplace beautiful and enjoyable.

It would be tempting. I am board out of my mind.

Your post even had me looking at Vermont timeshares. It seems you can pick one up very reasonably, but the monthly maintenance fees, at least for me, are exorbitant.

Anyway, I think it really is best that all of us "of a certain age" take every precaution that we can. As I wrote, I do not think we close to finding a cure or a vaccination.

Thank goodness for Social Media.

Wishing you all the best in your battle against cancer! Very virtual (((HUHGS))).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness