Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 03:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out whether to stay or go.

I have a timeshare week in September in Vermont. I live in Norfolk County, MA. As far as I know, I have not been infected by the virus; I mostly stay home (in an apartment in a large condo complex) but go out to walk my dog and go to medical or veterinary appointments, wearing a mask. I get my groceries delivered; and occasionally get a curbside restaurant meal (or delivery). Sometimes I meet one of my friends for a socially distant walk; we both wear masks.

I am in three higher-risk groups for COVID -19: I'm immunocompromised (taking Ibrance, a chemotherapy pill, for estrogen-reactive metastatic breast cancer), close to 65, and am technically in the 'morbidly obese' category (by 10 or 15 lbs.). I won't be done with the chemo for at least another 18 months or so unless it has worse effects on me. My oncologist says (I asked) that my immune system has "some" function, but it is not normal.

Usually, when I go to my timeshare in Vermont, I enjoy going to various indoor eateries, bookstores, the Shelburne Museum, etc., as. well as hanging out in the timeshare unit relaxing and enjoying the view. The timeshare unit has a kitchen. I always go there with a friend; because I am not good at driving long distances (i.e. more than two hours in one drive, per day) alone. The friend I plan to go with this year has been out of her home to some extent recently, but she does not go to large gathering, and usually wears a mask; and works two days a week in her office (which is cleaned/disinfected and others wear masks too).

So my dilemma is - how much of a risk would it be for me to drive to Vermont with my friend, in the same car (perhaps we'd open the windows a bit, we could try not to talk, and we'd wear masks), and spend the weekend in Vermont, trying not to go into stores or other enclosed areas for more than say, 15 minutes or so, maybe do one restaurant if the tables are socially distant, keeping my mask on, and, inside the unit, trying to keep at least 4 ft. away from my friend? The place will still be there next year; and perhaps the COVID19 risk will be less (or greater).

I asked my oncologist, and he said I would probably be "safer" not going. I asked my primary care physician and he was literally clueless; said he didn't pay attention to the COVID19 statistics between different parts of the country.

Should I play it safe or have a modified vacation (masks, not going into places I normally visit and places I'd like to see, or at least not go for long)? I could take a 'staycation' at home and send my friend up to Vermont to use the timeshare with a friend or relative of hers...

I keep going back and forth...If I weren't immunocompromised, I'd go. Hoping that in 2022, the virus will be more under control and my immune system will be back up and kicking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 04:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
DO not go!! Not worth the risk - no idea why you are asking strangers as opposed to your actual Drs.! (I know we are all stressed w/o traveling, visiting friends, etc. - but.... seriously????

Old 07-28-2020, 05:07 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
LISTEN TO YOUR ONCOLOGIST, do not go!

It's not worth it!!

See if you can credit this year's timeshare until when it's safe to go!

Old 07-28-2020, 05:24 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
MA cases are down, VT cases have always been down and they have to wear masks now just like MA. You have quite a few risks though. Can't your friend get tested? I think you get tested if you give blood--or just go and get tested. But even if your friend tests negative, you should only go if you are going to stay out of stores and restaurants 100%.

I really don't think you have much chance of catching it in Vermont as long as you stay away from things and avoid NYC tourists who like to visit that part of Vermont. But is that what you really want? To just go, be scared all the time, stay inside your timeshare, and then go back home? You wouldn't be the only person who has decided to stay home this strange summer.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Very low risk, other than your friend. If they are virus free I wouldn't worry about it. Go!

Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
I f you are going too worry the whole time you are there, and can`t go too the places, you like too visit....whats the point? There are some nice lakes, and other outdoor places you could visit, in Ma. for day trips, maybe bring a picnic lunch. Pamper yourself at home to.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:11 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I f you are going too worry the whole time you are there, and can`t go too the places, you like too visit....whats the point?
This. You are already anxious about it...and your trip hasn't even begun. Remember, OP there are other illnesses you can pick up more easily while your immune system is compromised. Covid-19 is just happens to be the one in the news. As you yourself wrote, the place will still be there when you're done with chemo.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
As long as you bring all your food with you, the only risk to you is your friend. Could she strictly self-isolate for two weeks before you guys go? Then it would be safe.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
If you are immunocompromised and being treated by an oncologist, I would probably not recommend going with a friend. If you were going by yourself, I wouldn't have any hesitations (as long as you take basic precautions).

The friend adds the extra risk. You would need for her to get tested right before she leaves. And have her self quarantine for 2 weeks, just to be safe.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
OP, you got me interested in going to VT for a few days so I looked up some possibilities last night. No, I won't be going. What am I going to do? Sit in the motel for the entire time? If I did go, I'd want a place with an outdoor pool, not an indoor pool. And with any luck, someone would plop themselves down right next to me if I sat by the pool. I'd have to be constantly vigilant just because of my age.

The place I'm thinking of has tempting shopping but I wouldn't be able to go. The area you want to go to has lots of shops, iirc, and is a popular spot. Even the state parks here in CT are either closed or they close once the parking lot starts to get full. It may be boring, but I'm staying home except maybe for a day trip to look at the ocean--not to sit on a crowded beach. Be generous and let your friend go there with one of her relatives. You can still go next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness