U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM

18,511 posts, read 12,082,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But cognitive issues and stains is just made up?
No one is saying that. What IS being said is that this particular study didn't address statin use in boomers. Period. The potential effect from statin use wasn't a parameter in the research. If statin use wasn't evaluated no one can use this study to make any claims about them either way...at least these researchers can't...and they didn't even try. Someone reading that little science daily blurb could decide to make that leap for themselves, but the referenced paper wouldn't support it. It wouldn't be credible.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-03-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 05:46 PM

13,575 posts, read 10,216,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0803092125.htm

I

MHO, the answer is Statins. Every boomer I know on statins is suffering from memory loss and other cognitive issues.
I'm a senior on statins (granted, a small dose). I have taken 20 mg/day of simvastatin for many years. I don't think I'm suffering from significant cognitive issues, and anything I can't remember I can either look up or ask someone else.

I'm still cognitive enough to manage the finances in our house, our schedules, and have a side gig as an editor for a medical continuing education company. That's done online at home.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 AM

304 posts, read 110,856 times
Not a scientific data point, but my father stopped taking statins when he suffered from debilitating muscle pain and weakness that had him stumbling and falling a lot. He just turned 90, so the lack of statins doesn't seem to have caused any problems. He is definitely having some memory loss, but continues to fight it by reading, going places, using his computer and smartphone, and taking lots of notes. Lives by himself but has lots of friends that stay in touch, though they can't drop by now with the coronavirus. He was having very serious cognitive issues a few years ago, and when I started going to various doctors with him I found out they each had him on a cocktail of various drugs, sometimes for opposite problems: high blood pressure and low blood pressure. We have gradually managed to wean him off of many prescriptions, and he has generally improved with the removal of each one. I think many doctors have so little time and so much incentive to just move on to the next patient they prescribe whatever is the drug of the day with little thought to the big picture. The drug interactions can be severe.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,010,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

There are also articles on how boomers are more physically frail (aging badly) compared to their predecessors. There seem to be a lot more of them with significant hip, back, and other joint problems affecting their mobility. That covers obesity and inactivity, which was mentioned above.
Susan Lucci, Cheryl Ladd, Jane Fonda, Helen Mirram, Mae Musk, Denise Austin, Christy Brinkley, Marie Osmond - just a few off the top of my head. I don't think their predecessors were like this back in the day. I am not just talking about looks but these people function like people half their age.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 AM

12,033 posts, read 10,456,560 times
Baby boomers aging worse than past generation

Boomers aging worse than past generation - Health - Health care | NBC News

This is the first generation with a lot of ex-runners and non-athletes who were training in their youth. You have to be careful with your body after you stop the training.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Nearly 39 percent of boomers were obese as compared to 29 percent of their parents’ generation at the same age. More than half of boomers reported no regular physical activity, as compared to 17 percent of the previous generation.
Obesity syndrome is the answer, with a lot of dispute over what has caused it. Those of us old enough to remember can tell you that our grandparents were a lot skinnier than most of us baby boomers are. Personally, I think a lot of the problem is sugar and carbohydrate consumption, which leads to more health problems than just obesity. When I was a kid ice cream was a special treat consumed maybe once a month or so, pizza was almost never ordered unless we were expecting a baby sitter, something like a coke was consumed maybe once a month as a special treat on a hot day on a trip from a 6 or 8-ounce bottle, my mom didn't stock cookies at home, etc. Most meals were homecooked. I don't think we were an unusual family in our neighborhood. Today's boomers eat like kids who are also obese.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:45 AM

5,729 posts, read 4,986,958 times
The study doesn't mention computers, the internet, mobile devices etc.

Everyone I know feels they've become dumber as a result of phones.

My own memory, never that good, has become so bad at age 61 that I have started writing everything down. What I bought at the hardware store yesterday, and where I put it. I literally can't remember. From what I see on social media, many other people are having similar problems.

I'll bet if we all turned off our phones one day a week, there'd be improvements in our cognition.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 AM

5,729 posts, read 4,986,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
Obesity syndrome is the answer, with a lot of dispute over what has caused it. Those of us old enough to remember can tell you that our grandparents were a lot skinnier than most of us baby boomers are. Personally, I think a lot of the problem is sugar and carbohydrate consumption, which leads to more health problems than just obesity. When I was a kid ice cream was a special treat consumed maybe once a month or so, pizza was almost never ordered unless we were expecting a baby sitter, something like a coke was consumed maybe once a month as a special treat on a hot day on a trip from a 6 or 8-ounce bottle, my mom didn't stock cookies at home, etc. Most meals were homecooked. I don't think we were an unusual family in our neighborhood. Today's boomers eat like kids who are also obese.
But people ate plenty of sugar and white bread back in the 1930s-40s and earlier. A lot of the commercial veggies were tainted with pesticides like arsenic and DDT. Farm animals ate this stuff too. Pollution in the cities was bad: coal, gasoline, oil, wood were all burned with zero filtering.

And everyone smoked. Everyone.

It's true that people walked more, rode bikes, shoveled/raked their yards with manual tools. Kids walked or rode bikes to school. But the Boomers invented jogging and jazzercise and exercycles, so...

Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 AM

9,147 posts, read 5,060,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The study doesn't mention computers, the internet, mobile devices etc.

Everyone I know feels they've become dumber as a result of phones.

My own memory, never that good, has become so bad at age 61 that I have started writing everything down. What I bought at the hardware store yesterday, and where I put it. I literally can't remember. From what I see on social media, many other people are having similar problems.

I'll bet if we all turned off our phones one day a week, there'd be improvements in our cognition.
Yes, and I think that is a factor in the testing because those tests typically require you to use your brain to do basic calculations, remember items, draw figures, etc. People who rely heavily on devices are going to have problems. That probably explains why the wartime boomers do better- they had less time in their lives that they had to rely on devices.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
People who rely heavily on devices are going to have problems.
I somewhat agree, but it is how you use devices that is the issue, not the devices. For example, I know people who will not drive a few miles without plugging some address into the navigation and following the phone directions. I routinely travel all day long by memorizing the map and the route ahead of time. If I do get lost, I have the phone to tell me where I am, get me back on track, and then I switch back to my mental map. I routinely amaze young people I work with because I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide in my head. They just can't do it because they don't practice it. Start balancing your checkbook on paper to keep your mind fresh. Little things like that can really help keep you young. My 90-year-old Dad also writes lots of notes down on paper, lists and things, and he uses a phone for calls and messaging, which requires typing. Typing is a good mental exercise too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness