U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 04:24 PM

6,683 posts, read 3,450,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I thought it was pizza
But mine is right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 04:24 PM

15,614 posts, read 10,658,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you have a few exaggerations in your post. There was never a time when everyone smoked. According to these graphs, male smoking in the U.S. never exceeded 55% and female smoking never exceeded 35%.

When you state that, "It's true that people walked more, rode bikes...," this was only true for young people. It was rare to see an adult before around 1975, walking or riding a bike. I can count a only a few examples of adults who walked somewhere when I was growing up in the 1960s. The idea of doing anything for exercise was just not something that the pre-Boomer generations did.

I agree that kids walked and rode bikes a lot more in those days, but not adults. I walked to school and back all through elementary school, and walked home and back for lunch. Not many kids do that today.

It is true that many people born post-1955 have exercised much more than previous generations, and have been more health conscious. At the same time many more or these people are obese and suffer from diabetes than previous generations.

I agree with the exercise and outdoor activity part. But there is a problem with tobacco stats. There's a big drop-off in male smokers since 1965 and that has to be taken into account.

For a valid study you need to find a correlation between age of quitting smoking and decline in cognitive function. Also, female smoking has basically remained the same

Old 08-04-2020, 11:39 PM

1,864 posts, read 816,976 times
Unfortunately sugar is the great evil, and I do love it = ( chocolate fudge, ice cream, coca cola...

Life extension has a good write up on it - link

Letting your resting sugar levels creep up is no good for your brain and it is much easier to do in our GMO culture of heavy gluten bread/pasta and high fructose corn syrup.

B12 is another common cause, as you get older less stomach acid which is needed to pull B12 from meats. Surprising my Mom's doctor recommended her to take this.

Statins are the devil though, I would try the Linus Pauling protocol for plaque(caveats for the LP protocol), serrapeptase, keto(last thing I would try) before giving in to lipitor or whatever - one posters thoughts on longecity - link

Old 08-05-2020, 02:50 AM

11,026 posts, read 6,735,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
IMHO the answer is Dunkin Donuts Coffee. Every boomer I know that drinks Dunkin Donuts coffee is suffering from memory loss and other cognitive issues.

See how easy it is to make up a correlation and cause with no basis in reality?
Actually that is not simply correlation at work, it is definitely cause and effect. The distinction is that the cognitive issues and memory loss is what drives them to drink so much mediocre coffee rather than the other way around.

It is probably the right time to revisit the Woody Allen film "Sleeper" where upon being thawed after 200 years in a cryogenic coma Miles Monroe learns what has transpired since his death during surgery. The scientific findings regarding diet are sure to surprise many here.

Last edited by kokonutty; 08-05-2020 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 02:53 AM

11,026 posts, read 6,735,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But cognitive issues and stains is just made up?

Social Isolation "linked" (there is that word again) is just extroverts trying to pathologize anyone who is an introvert.
No doubt the targets are statin-free.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:17 AM

22,610 posts, read 29,223,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's pretty well documented that social isolation is linked to mental decline.

link
Yes. It is. I didn't think that anyone was igorant of that that. Social Isolation causes and contributes to many diseases, both physical and psychological.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:28 AM

35,477 posts, read 37,539,742 times
https://www.cardiosmart.org/news/201...elderly-adults

"A six-year Australian study showed no difference in memory and brain function among more than 1,000 elderly adults taking statin medications."

Old 08-05-2020, 04:26 AM

304 posts, read 110,269 times
Mayo Clinic:
Quote:
The FDA warns on statin labels that some people have developed memory loss or confusion while taking statins. These side effects reverse once you stop taking the medication. There is limited evidence to prove a cause-effect relationship, but talk to your doctor if you experience memory loss or confusion while taking statins.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:48 AM

9,120 posts, read 4,849,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'm an introvert and that's freekin redonkulous. Nobody is picking on introverts.
Not exactly picking on us, but there seems to be an assumption that extroversion is "normal" and introversion an aberration.

What's odd is that the poster who bought up introversion was talking about loneliness. It seems to me that a social butterfly extrovert is more likely to be lonely than a self-contained introvert would be.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM

6,683 posts, read 3,450,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Not exactly picking on us, but there seems to be an assumption that extroversion is "normal" and introversion an aberration.

What's odd is that the poster who bought up introversion was talking about loneliness. It seems to me that a social butterfly extrovert is more likely to be lonely than a self-contained introvert would be.
They have been trying to sell that line for years that "social isolation" causes health issues. This is laughable. It is only recently that we had the opportunity to meeting a lot of people. Up until about 1950 if you had 2 or 3 friends that you wrote too (taking weeks) you considered yourself lucky.

There is no way it would have any effect on longevity.

But "social isolation" does hurt something... the economy. So they try to tell you that you will die if you don't go out to eat. Laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness