U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:01 PM

4,885 posts, read 1,931,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you!
This is the best expose I’ve seen now on statins.
My husband was prescribed Lipitor recently (hasn’t started taking it yet), and so I am doing the research For him.
You are very welcome.

I had a severe problem on Lipitor. That caused me to research statins. I've concluded they are dangerous with little benefit for those who have not yet suffered a heart attack. 99% of Doctors treat it like a mandatory miracle drug. Well, it is a miracle profit maker.

Lipitor is the highest grossing pharmaceutical in history, generating $140 billion for Pfizer since its introduction. No wonder they want Doctors to push it on everybody.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 08:04 PM

4,885 posts, read 1,931,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband had a lot of problems with statins and got off them within a few weeks.

Of course, he's not a good example of why to get off them since he died of a massive heart attack a few years later and the medical examiner said it was at least in part because his cholesterol was abnormally high. I mean like out the roof. Every doctor that tested it said it was so high that it had to be genetic. Nothing he did diet wise and no supplements he ever took had the slightest effect on his ridiculously high cholesterol.

I won't take statins for any reason at all. I also have no reason to take them.
What we can never know is, would taking statins have postponed his heart attack even a single day.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,763,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you!
This is the best expose I’ve seen now on statins.
My husband was prescribed Lipitor recently (hasn’t started taking it yet), and so I am doing the research For him.
You might enjoy reading my previous post on that topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61170626-post3.html

Old 08-12-2021, 08:13 PM

64,115 posts, read 53,091,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
What we can never know is, would taking statins have postponed his heart attack even a single day.
Right - we'll never know.

But what we did know was that on statins, he had terrible cramps - TERRIBLE ones that would cause him to literally fall to the floor (very alarming). He also had memory problems and said he felt like he was in a fog most of the time. He knew the risks but chose to live a full life rather than take statins and be crippled in so many ways. I supported that. He wasn't himself on the statins, not at all.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:47 AM

12,034 posts, read 10,421,100 times
They can switch you to a weaker statin such as Lescor (fluvastatin) or Crestor (rosuvastatin). Lipitor (atorvastatin) is the strongest and tends to stay in the body longer. As I recall, they took statins off the recommended list for primary prevention (yet to have first heart attack or stroke) years ago since there's no evidence it changes the outcome.

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2017/0115/od1.html

One thing they found is that people go on these drugs for heart disease and diabetes while they eat whatever they want. Behavior change doesn't come until after the first heart attack.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:00 PM

10,322 posts, read 5,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
You might enjoy reading my previous post on that topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61170626-post3.html
Thanks for posting that.
He doesn’t have high cholesterol and is very healthy and fit at 78, but we think he may have had a TIA (mini stroke). But we are not sure as he had no MRI indications, blood indications, or plaque in his carotid artery. He was having spells of getting dizzy and then one day he lost much of his memory.
Couldn’t even remember his sisters name, the city we lived in. No headache or pain anywhere. But took him right to the ER for testing.
In three hours his memory came totally back. This has happened twice now. Neuro doc thinks maybe there was a tiny piece of plague in his brain. His electrolytes showed up low so I’ve since put him on magnesium, potassium, calcium and he’s had no symptoms in two years, but new doc wants him on Lipitor to “stabilize” any plaque and keep inflammation down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness