Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 12:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are you saying that everyone there works for FREE?

That not one paycheck or bill or services rendered statement goes across any desk at St Judes ever?

https://www.stjude.org/content/dam/e...eport-2018.pdf

St Judes took in $2 billion in 2018.

Care to revise your statement that cancer is not a billion dollar business?
St Jude's is a non profit organization...

Money it takes in covers expenses....nothing more...nothing less...

Look up NON PROFIT if you don't understand the term....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 01:48 PM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
St Jude's is a non profit organization...

Money it takes in covers expenses....nothing more...nothing less...

Look up NON PROFIT if you don't understand the term....

St Jude's is one of the best. https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=12847

Another is Shriner's Hospitals for Children (Actually, a higher ratio goes to services) https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=6493

Old 08-20-2020, 03:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
St Jude's is one of the best. https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=12847

Another is Shriner's Hospitals for Children (Actually, a higher ratio goes to services) https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=6493
Patient care is at no cost to the FAMILY.

Everyone who WORKS THERE gets paid. As part of the billion dollar cancer industry.

Do people think all those oncologists just don't get paid? That the heme-one NPs work for free, too? All those research trials ... aren't paid for by someone? That every researcher, lab tech, RN, trial administrator ... they are ALL working for FREE?

Apparently so.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:30 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Are you saying that everyone there works for FREE?

That not one paycheck or bill or services rendered statement goes across any desk at St Judes ever?

https://www.stjude.org/content/dam/e...eport-2018.pdf

St Judes took in $2 billion in 2018.

Care to revise your statement that cancer is not a billion dollar business?
There is nothing to 'revise'. You are clearly having a great deal of trouble with comprehension.

Of course the people who work there get paid. People have to eat and that means that they must have something in exchange for their work. Yes, they take in a great deal of money in donations, because it is an extremely worthy cause.

You keep harping that there is no cure for cancer and that there never will be, because there is so much money in 'treatments' and they are so 'expensive'. But the reality is, that St. Jude's is giving it away. Expense matters to those who need treatment, but patients at St. Jude's are not required to pay.

Read it as many times as you need to- Patients at St. Jude's are treated without regard for their ability to pay for it, if they have no money and cannot pay for treatment they are treated anyway.

In the 1950's, a child diagnosed with cancer was all but guaranteed to die. In 1962, St. Jude's was able to achieve a 4% survival rate. Now, St. Jude's achieves a 94% survival rate. 60 years later, more than 300,000 people for whom cancer would have been a death sentence, are living and breathing. They didn't have to die just because they had no money to pay for treatment.

You keep saying that there is no cure, but it isn't true. There *are* cures, and many people *have* been cured. My wife is one of them, her uncle is another. My father wasn't so lucky, because he had a [sucky] VA doctor who ignored him and told him to go home and take vitamins, until it was too late. Hundreds of thousands of people are alive today, living and breathing and working because they have been cured of their cancers.

It is *you* who needs to revise *your* statements, because you are all wet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I donate money to St. Jude's and I do not feel that I am being ripped off. The people who do the research and provide the treatments need to get paid, just as I need to get paid for what I do. Somewhere, somebody is walking around (who otherwise might not be) because I care enough to donate money to help with the expense of their treatment. They will never know that I had any part in it, and that's OK. I don't work for free, and the people who save other peoples' lives shouldn't either.

Last edited by Zymer; 08-20-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-20-2020, 05:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
There is nothing to 'revise'. You are clearly having a great deal of trouble with comprehension.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I donate money to St. Jude's and I do not feel that I am being ripped off. The people who do the research and provide the treatments need to get paid, just as I need to get paid for what I do. Somewhere, somebody is walking around (who otherwise might not be) because I care enough to donate money to help with the expense of their treatment. They will never know that I had any part in it, and that's OK. I don't work for free, and the people who save other peoples' lives shouldn't either.

Patients are treated at NO EXPENSE. Absolutely agreed.

But everyone else gets paid. A LOT. Which makes it part of the multibillion dollar cancer industry.

St Judes is actually 2 parts:
  • St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (St Jude’s): the children’s hospital that provides research and medical care
  • American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities (ALSAC): the fundraising organization that exists to raise funds for St. Jude’s

If you donate $100 how much goes to St Judes? $46. The rest? To ALSAC and is banked to ALSAC, not St Judes.

$100: Your Contribution
-$ 29: ALSAC functional expenses
-$ 25: Into the Fund Balance of ALSAC

$ 46: Amount Remaining Provided to the Hospital
-$ 24: Salaries and Benefits of hospital staff (52% of $46)
-$ 6: Other hospital expenses (13% of $46)
-$ 6: Fees for Services (12% of $46)
-$ 4: Pharmaceuticals and Lab Work (10% of $46)
-$ 4: Office related expenses at hospital (8% of $46)
-$ 1: Travel, Conferences, and Meetings and Grants (2% of $46)
-$ 45: Total St. Jude Expenses
$ 1: Amount Remaining (to Fund Balance at St. Jude)

Here's a really interesting breakdown of the expenses of ALSAC, which is the fundraising side ONLY. NO healthcare offered.

Compensation for ALSAC's 1,818 employees totaled $153 million (average compensation of $84,400 ). However, 295 employees of ALSAC received > $100,000. The 9 most highly compensated individuals were reported to be:
$1,202,948: James Downing, Ex-Officio Director (paid from St. Jude’s)
$ 893,589: Richard C Shadyac, Jr.: CEO and Ex-Officio Director
$ 575,408: Emily S Greer, Chief Administrative Officer
$ 550,757: Emily Callahan, Chief Marketing Officer
$ 545,573: Jeffrey T Pearson, Chief Financial Officer
$ 506,710: Sue Harpole, Chief Development Officer
$ 532,140: Robert Machen, Chief Information Officer
$ 510,440: Anurag Pandit, Chief Investment Officer
$ 499,043: George Shadroui, Chief Strategy Officer

Let's take a look at the most highly compensated employees at St Jude's:
$1,365,679: Andrew Davidoff, Chair
$1,202,948: James Downing, President and CEO, Ex-Officio Director
$1,016,649: Raul C Ribiero, Faculty
$ 944,564: Charles M Roberts, EVP/Director Cancer Center
$ 929,491: Ellis Neufeld, EVP, Clinical Director
$ 912,661: Stephen W White, Chair
$ 893,589: Richard Shadyac, Ex-Officio Director (compensation from ALSAC)
$ 889,939: Thomas E Merchant, Chair
$ 884,005: Charalampos Kalodimus, Chair
$ 845,380: Mary Anna Quinn, EVP/Chief Admin Officer
$ 748,857: Carlos Rodriguez-Galindo, EVP/Chair
$ 722,490: William E Evans, Faculty and Former President and CEO
$ 718,114: Pat Keel, SVP/CFO
$ 597,847: James I Morgan, EVP/Scientific Director

https://paddockpost.com/2019/10/04/w...judes-go-2018/
https://paddockpost.com/2019/10/02/e...st-judes-2018/

The bottom line? St. Jude’s endowment is at a record high of $5.3 billion (In 2013, net assets were $2.4 billion: in 6 years, net assets or what some people refer to as the endowment have more than doubled).

Given that the hospital’s operating expenses are about a billion annually, there is more than enough funds to keep the hospital operating for years if all donations ceased (which is highly, highly unlikely). The question begs: When are they going to stop allocating hundreds of millions of dollars annually to the endowment and expand their services to help more sick children and their families?

Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Patients are treated at NO EXPENSE. Absolutely agreed.

But everyone else gets paid. A LOT. Which makes it part of the multibillion dollar cancer industry.

St Judes is actually 2 parts:
  • St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (St Jude’s): the children’s hospital that provides research and medical care
  • American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities (ALSAC): the fundraising organization that exists to raise funds for St. Jude’s
Your figures are wrong. I don't know where you got those numbers, but examination of the IRS records shows that nearly 70% of every dollar from ALSAC goes to St. Jude's. The remainder goes to salaries and expenses. These numbers are reasonable, and far better than a certain other 'charity' organization based in Boston where my investigation exposed that a mere 5% of their donations actually went to charity, and the rest was consumed in salaries and 'expenses' (lavish parties and junkets).

The people who raise so much money for St. Jude's and their treatment of children at no expense to the families deserve to be paid a reasonable wage for their efforts, and the amounts that they are paid are quite reasonable for what they do.

What is your *real* problem with this organization? The fact that 'Lebanese' and 'Syrian' are in the title?

The parents of Danny Thomas (birth name Muzyad Yakhoob) were Lebanese immigrants. There is no surprise here...and there is no indication of any support for terrorist organizations. Don't look now, but I think you are showing something ugly, and none of us want to see it. These organizations do a great deal of good, and your denigration serves only to detract from yourself.

The distraction you are attempting to perpetrate goes far from your original premise- that there is no cure for cancer. The fact is, that there *are* cures and they are being freely provided to those who are most in need of them and have no ability to pay for them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:59 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Of course the people who work there get paid. People have to eat and that means that they must have something in exchange for their work. Yes, they take in a great deal of money in donations, because it is an extremely worthy cause.

You keep harping that there is no cure for cancer and that there never will be, because there is so much money in 'treatments' and they are so 'expensive'. But the reality is, that St. Jude's is giving it away. Expense matters to those who need treatment, but patients at St. Jude's are not required to pay.

Read it as many times as you need to- Patients at St. Jude's are treated without regard for their ability to pay for it, if they have no money and cannot pay for treatment they are treated anyway.

In the 1950's, a child diagnosed with cancer was all but guaranteed to die. In 1962, St. Jude's was able to achieve a 4% survival rate. Now, St. Jude's achieves a 94% survival rate. 60 years later, more than 300,000 people for whom cancer would have been a death sentence, are living and breathing. They didn't have to die just because they had no money to pay for treatment.

You keep saying that there is no cure, but it isn't true. There *are* cures, and many people *have* been cured. My wife is one of them, her uncle is another. My father wasn't so lucky, because he had a [sucky] VA doctor who ignored him and told him to go home and take vitamins, until it was too late. Hundreds of thousands of people are alive today, living and breathing and working because they have been cured of their cancers.

It is *you* who needs to revise *your* statements, because you are all wet.

Thank you for your financial support of St. Jude. Every child treated for cancer in the US benefits from their research.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
When I think of our world and the amazing advances we've been able to make, I always feel some fields are ahead of others.

For example, personal technology is just amazing. I have a phone in my pocket that I bought for less than $200 and within it I have access to an encyclopedic knowledge of anything in the world, and all I have to do is use my fingers to push portions of the screen.

While driving in my car and listening to the radio, all I have to do is push a button and my phone can figure out the song. If the advances within my lifetime are any indicator, personal tech will just continue to evolve at light speed.

But yet ... we cannot figure out a cure for cancer. We have been terrible at being prepared for, containing, and now fighting to solve COVID. We can't even figure out anything decent for helping someone who has to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

How is that health and medicine are so far behind on actually solving problems like tech does?

Would more manpower help and is it hampered by the space and resource restrictions on research? Limiting the amount of people who can get pHds and MDs?

If we had everybody that was unemployed right now working to help solve COVID, would that make a difference? Can't we at least produce a practical mask that stops the transmission that people can use? I mean we have ALL this manpower sitting around...
My two theories as a layman:

1.) Cancer is so invasive because it requires many of the same things as a healthy individual requires to live. Killing cancer means almost killing the human in the process, too, especially in its advanced stages. There is a scary amount of childhood and early adult cases that occur way before the recommended screening age, and don't show any signs until its too late. These are only a few of the reasons, I'm sure.

2.) Medical research is run like any other kind of R&D with a few more miles of red tape involved. It's run like academia in the sense that it takes a hell of a lot of bloat to make even incremental progress. It's not an industry that can benefit much from "manpower" in the sense of hiring in droves. It can pay less than even non-specialized medicine, yet requires multi-disciplined, experienced hires to lead projects.

Today's graduates and young doctors are too stretched to take any less than the best money they can make, even if it's not their preferred specialty. Today's retirees, well, there aren't a whole lot retiring. Senior career pay beats research pay in the vast majority of cases, unless you end up as a distinguished member of staff. And that takes more than just making rounds at the local hospital.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:25 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thank you for your financial support of St. Jude. Every child treated for cancer in the US benefits from their research.
Suzy- does your son participate in the St. Jude Long Term Survivor Study? I think theirs is the comprehensive leader in that regard. They might actually be the institution that coordinates it nationally. My husband is also a childhood cancer survivor (treated for T cell leukemia in the 1970s when the survival rate was only around 50%). Whenever we get one of those LTS packets, I really try to encourage him to complete it and remind him of its importance. His experience as a child was one of the reasons he went into medicine.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-20-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
"Many hands make much work light".....old Chinese proverb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness