U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

I had a hysterectomey at the age of 28. Was placed on hormones (drugs). Had no problems at all. 2 years ago went off prem. because of reports on side effects. Now really struggling -mood swings --flashes--crying --. Doctor wants me to try the ESTRING-vagina ring . Anyone had any experience with the ring ? Not sure what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 AM

102 posts, read 301,576 times
As you probably already know, there is a risk of side effects from all hormone replacement therapies. Estring-vaginal ring is the same. From all info contained in the leaflet, it is mostly used post-menopause. Regarding hot flashes, sweating the leaflet states,"ESTRING DOES NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH ESTROGEN TO REDUCE THESE SYMPTONS."
However, if your ovaries are still intact, that might make the difference and why your DR. prescribed. Give it a try and see if it works for you. What do you have to lose?
If it doesn't work go back on Premerin.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,024 times
You might want to see if you can find a physician in your area that specializes in bioidentical hormones. They're hormones that are exact replicas of what your body naturally produces, which makes it a better fit for your hormone receptors, which results in very minimal side effects. Non-bioidentical (or synthetic) hormones like premarin are not natural to the body so they kind of act as a toxin.

Just might be something for you to look into and get more information about...just be sure the physician is board certified and specializes in bioidentical hormones.

Sarah

Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Please,please don't go back on Premarin.
Do even a quick research on how it's made and the potential ways it can affect your body. That,alone.should make you never want to swallow another Premarin.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
SInce the OP was 3.5 yrs ago, I think she has found something.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Just FYI, since the thread has been revived.

Although there may be risks associated with hormone replacement, there are benefits as well. For many women, the decreased quality of life due to severe hot flashes, night sweats, and poor sleep will definitely tilt the balance in the direction of benefits exceeding risks.

The previous poster is correct. Estring is designed for treatment of vaginal and bladder symptoms. The estrogen in the ring is absorbed into the blood, but the dose is so low that it is not enough to help hot flashes and sweats.

Femring,
however, which comes in two dose strengths, will help with hot flashes. It is a higher dose than Estring. Patients should try the smaller dose first, and go to the higher one if there is not sufficient reduction in symptoms.

Bioidentical hormones are probably no better and no safer than standard products. They can be much more expensive:

Bioidentical hormone therapy: a review. [Menopause. 2004 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

"Evidence suggests that, although individualized hormonal products may decrease some symptoms of menopause, it seems they have no proven advantage over conventional hormone therapies and their use is not supported by evidence regarding pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy."

Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times
Interesting link Suzy Q.

Bioidentical hormone therapy: a review. [Menopause. 2004 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

In the right column under the above link is this 2009 response to the review's conclusion. It's interesting also.
Related citations

CONCLUSION: Physiological data and clinical outcomes demonstrate that bioidentical hormones are associated with lower risks, including the risk of breast cancer and cardiovascular disease, and are more efficacious than their synthetic and animal-derived counterparts. Until evidence is found to the contrary, bioidentical hormones remain the preferred method of HRT. Further randomized controlled trials are needed to delineate these differences more clearly.

Last edited by winterbird; 11-17-2011 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: deleted sentence

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times
I'm just curious as to what personal experiences women have had with either. Positive or negative. This is an interesting topic. I haven't had to decide yet which route I'll go (if either) just yet.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Interesting link Suzy Q.

In the right column under the above link is this 2009 response to the review's conclusion. It's interesting also.
Related citations

CONCLUSION: Physiological data and clinical outcomes demonstrate that bioidentical hormones are associated with lower risks, including the risk of breast cancer and cardiovascular disease, and are more efficacious than their synthetic and animal-derived counterparts. Until evidence is found to the contrary, bioidentical hormones remain the preferred method of HRT. Further randomized controlled trials are needed to delineate these differences more clearly.
I can't figure out what Kent Holtorf, author of the paper you are referencing, actually studied. It seems to be a single person, associated with what sounds like a private practice, giving his personal opinion on some papers he read.

The whole thing sounded weird. Turns out, Holtorf has his own line of "Holtraceuticals":

Home page | Holtraceuticals, Feel the difference!

He sells garbage like "Heavy Metal Detox".

Why on earth Postgraduate Medicine printed his "article", I do not know.

It would be nice to be able to read the article in your link to the response to Holtorf's article, but I cannot find it without a subscription. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

The real research does not demonstrate an advantage to the bioidentical stuff.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I'm just curious as to what personal experiences women have had with either. Positive or negative. This is an interesting topic. I haven't had to decide yet which route I'll go (if either) just yet.
I took it, finally came off. No problems with it, just didn't need it any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness