Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrentia View Post
Thanks, I’ve never had chiggers before...how do they tend to come in? And are they very noticeable? I have some indoor plants I don’t know if they can house gnats or some other biting bug

EDIT: And if Chigger bites are always in groups, unfortunately I’ve just had singular bites...No groups.
We have chiggers around here in the spring and summer with many people, including hubby being very sensitive to them. They do not come in your house, they are normally in the grass and rocks: most commonly you will find them in areas with high humidity As single bite, no it is not chiggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Have you tried looking at the bites online to maybe get a match?

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-bad-bugs

Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM

27 posts, read 8,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Check your mattress at the head board and see if there are any dark patches or speckles. And check along the seams of your mattress for the same. If there is nothing showing then you can be more certain there are no bedbugs.
Thanks, I checked my mattress and the floors surrounding it after doing laundry...while my mattress is not exactly speckless since I’ve had it for several years, doesn’t seem like there’s much to be alarmed about for now...

Old 09-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Have you tried looking at the bites online to maybe get a match?

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-bad-bugs
Thanks, I’ve went on a short Google-search rampage before...it’s really hard to tell because everyone has different reactions so the only clue is it’s singular, pimple like. However after a few days I haven’t had those bites for awhile, so maybe it’s not a pest...

Old 09-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, sorry I’ve replied late (been busy) but I checked my mattress and for now I didn’t see anything particularly alarming. So far that matches the consensus that it is likely not bedbugs, which is a huge relief! I’ve also noticed the bites stopped after I took less walks in the evening, so it might be mosquitoes or some other summer bug while I was out, looking to grab their last supply of blood for the season. I’m going to visit a physician tomorrow so I’m going to also check with her, but for now it seems like mosquitoes might be the main culprit. If it is, though, I must say I have a moderate delayed reaction to their bites since I don’t notice them until almost 24h later. I’ll let everyone know if anything pops up. Stay vigilant

Old 09-03-2020, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, sorry I’ve replied late (been busy) but I checked my mattress and for now I didn’t see anything particularly alarming. So far that matches the consensus that it is likely not bedbugs, which is a huge relief! I’ve also noticed the bites stopped after I took less walks in the evening, so it might be mosquitoes or some other summer bug while I was out, looking to grab their last supply of blood for the season. I’m going to visit a physician tomorrow so I’m going to also check with her, but for now it seems like mosquitoes might be the main culprit. If it is, though, I must say I have a moderate delayed reaction to their bites since I don’t notice them until almost 24h later. I’ll let everyone know if anything pops up. Stay vigilant
Keep us posted: if you don't seem to have a problem if you do not take your nightly walk it sounds like it could be chiggers, but this is only a guess.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:22 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
We had an issue with spiders. We had trees that overhung the roof of the house inviting creepy crawlers. Ants can be really bad when it comes to bites as I had a continuing problem with them when out walking as some crawled up and others must have dropped from the trees. Those cheap sticky traps can be handy to get an idea of what might be crawling or even flying around that one doesn't see during the day.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Thanks, I checked my mattress and the floors surrounding it after doing laundry...while my mattress is not exactly speckless since I’ve had it for several years, doesn’t seem like there’s much to be alarmed about for now...

You missing what he said.
You do not check your mattress.
You check your bed sheets.
If you see red dots scattered here and there, you do HAVE bedbugs. Red or dark red. Like rust.
If you see that, THEN you look into tight areas - corners of mattress seam, under wall paintings, anything that creates a tight narrow gap. Bedbugs are flat and nest in such areas.
You will have to fumigate the place, if you got them. And, literally, burn all old bedding, mattress included. Sofas. I come from bed bug country. Sofas are terrible in that respect, as they nest where sofa fabric is stapled to the frame. Surprisingly, for the size, they can travel quite a distance across room.
If you decide to use sprays, you'll have to re spray every few months, as the result, inhaling all the residue spray leave, as it turns into dust. And none of it is good for you.
Bedbugs are VERY hard to rid off. For apartments, entire building has to be fumigated or, they WILL get everywhere from infested one.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Did you know bedbugs were eradicated from the USA in 1950, and reinfestation only returned in the 1990s? It is only since 2010 that the spread of bedbugs has really accelerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness