Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you had a good result.

I have some family members who had it done, so I only wish the best outcomes for them as well.

This is a big reason why the surgery became so popular; word-of-mouth.

I just wish your one case could guarantee great results for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
I did the Lasik about a year and a half ago. First the monovision and I didn't like it. Couldn't get used to it. My distance wasn't good enough. So, I had them undo it. I would rather periodically wear the readers, I would have had to eventually anyway. I am really thinking about enhancing my other eye too so that my distance is even better. Not sure I want to do it again though. It is not terrible, just a bit uncomfortable. I did have dry eyes and still do occasionally, but drops take care of that. I am very happy with it.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM

I am very happy with my glasses. I put them on and see 20/15, have the best contrast sensitivity, no night vision problems, no dry-eye, can see very well far and near, have a layer of protection against dust, no starbursts, no halos, no 3rd or 5th order aberations, can jump on a motorcycle and ride off with or without a helmet, etc.

I don't see how monovision could remotely compare to some good lineless bi-or tri-focals.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
I had it done and it has been wonderful to be without glasses. I would recommend it. People talk about safety... consider the people that get eye infections from disposable contacts, or abrasions from them with grit or having them go where you can't see them... Contacts have a pretty bas track record if you look for it. I'm as squimish as one can get about eyes. I almost passed out when the first contact hit my eye. I wore gas perms for over 10 years and they kept my eye sight from changing, the rigid lense held my eyes shape so they were also a good thing for me. but I much prefer being without. Now I can buy generic sunglasses. I'm not scrubing my contacts every day. My glasses cost $650, contacts were about $150 plus $20/ 2 months for cleaning. My Lasik was $3500 and was done in about 10 minutes. I'd do the Lasik again it was the best choice for me.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-to-AZ View Post
I've never heard of anyone having bad experiences with LASIK. Of course, if you go to one of those "discount, vision institutes" that advertise heavily, yeah, you're gonna be in trouble!!! NEVER, EVER get LASIK for cheap---hello!! I'm considering it within the next 2 years & with those of us with vision problems their whole life, I should hope know the possible side effects or if they're a candidate. Good article though but severe side effects are rare.

I'm not so sure about that actually.

There was something on TV not long ago, a program stating a great number of cases that had gone wrong for one reason or another. You tend to hear more about the good stories than you do the bad, although granted, it is a huge success rate for the most part.

Many people I've talked with, do have the night glare thing when looking at lights. This would bother me. Or still having to wear glasses afterwards. My mother had hers done because of cateracts, and although her eyesight is way better, it's not quite perfect so still wears her glasses. And the people I've talked with, have not gone anywhere near the bargain specials.

A friend also had the mono done, but seems to me that would always be a brain-strain, with one eye adjusting to one thing and the other to another.

As someone else mentioned, it would sure be nice to know that your operation would be 100% successful. I would love to get mine done, but my eyes aren't that bad and just feel it isn't worth taking the chance.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
...You're beating yourself up because you didn't think this through? Are you kidding me? How could you have known? They're not going to give you that much info. So now I can understand how they can afford the "Lifetime Commitment scam". That just makes me even sicker.
Thanks for your understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
...One of your eyes is -2? My God-given vision is about -1.5 in one and -1.25 in the other and I couldn't do so well without my glasses. How could you have been a -2 after surgery? They must have purposely undercorrected you because you didn't have enough cornea to begin with. Unless your corneal thickness pre-surgery was about 600+.
The first surgery was in winter 2002, the enhancement 90 days later on the left eye. The second surgery on the right eye was in the fall of 2006. I can see okay without my contact in my left eye...partly because my right eye is 20/20. I really don't mind wearing the one disposable soft contact. It's very comfortable, easy to care for and readily available at several local stores. I pay about $125 per year for contacts, solution and eye drops for my left eye. I'd much rather pay that than to have to go back to wearing glasses. After wearing glasses for 7 years and contacts for 20 years, I was happy to have the LASIK procedures. I will eventually need reading glasses. I knew that before having LASIK.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM

It seems to me like the best candidates are the high myopes. Anything is better than the blindness that you started from. A -8 to -9 is pretty myopic.

So without correction, you were pretty dependant on glasses or contacts, but not so much now, right?

I could understand how lasik may have served you pretty well.

I just wish people can someday understand that not everybody is a good candidate. But good luck getting the clinical staff or the docs to tell you that. To them, you're just two treatments; OD and OS.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM

114 posts, read 340,139 times
I had LASIK in December 2007 and there were times I wondered what I had done to myself, but today I'm SO glad I did it. it takes at least 6 months to start to see some of the full results. one common effect of LASIK is dry and sensitive eyes, but it does get better with time. of course, there will be some cases with less than stellar results, but most are satisfied. you must do your research, talk to patients of the doctor you're considering using. just be smart.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
I've heard that also chiffonhead, about it taking about six months.

It must have been so scary though, the times when you were wondering if you'd done the right thing or not.

Good to hear you're very happy with your decision now!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM

How do you talk to former patients with patient confidentiality laws and such?

Does the doctor cherry-pick a representative still? Tiger Woods, how's things now? How about that girlfriend of yours? How'd she turn out?

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-26-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness