Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We don't even use dryer sheets anymore. We used to live without dryer sheets, rinses, laundry soap that was not scented and other products as well.
I know someone allergic to those dryer sheets. It causes a major eczema flare up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:34 PM

313 posts, read 268,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is the source linked by OP

https://www.broadstreetbeacon.com/ab...street-beacon/

In other words, this is a joke, and not real
It's not a joke. A family member owns a home near the down town area. It's real.....

Old 09-09-2020, 08:39 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
It's not a joke. A family member owns a home near the down town area. It's real.....
find me a single cite that is not a self-defined satirical website

I'll wait

Old 09-09-2020, 09:12 PM

313 posts, read 268,380 times
They're very strict in their down town historical area. For example scent free areas. I didn't ask my family member if it's enforced. It may be during their Christmas time downtown event.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
As I was putting my clothes in the dryer yesterday, I thought about this thread as I put the Downy sheet in. What also came to mind is an episode of the TLC show strange addictions; the episode of the woman that ate a box every 2 days. The doctor had told her about the toxic chemicals in them, wish they would have gone into more detail

Old 09-10-2020, 07:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So for everyone who gets bothered by the scents, does wearing your face mask help?

I also detest the scented trash bags and also don't like lemon scented cleaning products, but I do like a little floral fragrance in the laundry and around the house.
Even the so-called unscented ones with the “odor blockers” have a terrible scent. I don’t use scented laundry products, but I do use a couple of drops of essential oils on wool dryer balls.

Wearing a face mask seems to catch some of the scents sometimes. It can be awful if it is something like exhaust.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I use Mrs Meyers lavender fabric softener. And very little. I prefer the rinse water version to dryer sheets.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
They're very strict in their down town historical area. For example scent free areas. I didn't ask my family member if it's enforced. It may be during their Christmas time downtown event.
Go read the articles on the site. It's satire. Like The Onion.

Aside from being unenforceable, it's an absurd overreach, as some people have a legitimate need for scented laundry stuff. Anyone who denies that has never had a son or daughter play hockey or football or soccer.

I hate glade plug ins. I don't care for dryer sheets myself. I've never seen a need for fabric softener.

But I certainly am not going to go without Tide laundry detergent. I live in the southeast US, on a warm day I break out in a sweat taking out the trash. I'm ripe by the end of an afternoon working dogs. No matter what soap I use, it requires a couple passes to get rid of the stink on my body. My clothes are the same way. "Heavily Soiled" is what I select on the washer if I'm washing stuff I've sweated heavily in. With Tide. Scented.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:54 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
I stopped buying scented cleaners over 50 years ago when son was diagnosed with serious allergies. Most everything was perfumed back then.

I’m one of those people with super strong awareness of smells and I would love for products to be odor-free. Problem is some things have an unpleasant natural odor so they try to cover it up.

I have thrown out countless items, from scented trash bags to supposedly scent-free dryer sheets because the smell was noxious to me. I only wish my hearing and eyesight was as strong!

Old 01-01-2021, 11:21 AM

118 posts, read 223,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Go read the articles on the site. It's satire. Like The Onion.

Aside from being unenforceable, it's an absurd overreach, as some people have a legitimate need for scented laundry stuff. Anyone who denies that has never had a son or daughter play hockey or football or soccer.

I hate glade plug ins. I don't care for dryer sheets myself. I've never seen a need for fabric softener.

But I certainly am not going to go without Tide laundry detergent. I live in the southeast US, on a warm day I break out in a sweat taking out the trash. I'm ripe by the end of an afternoon working dogs. No matter what soap I use, it requires a couple passes to get rid of the stink on my body. My clothes are the same way. "Heavily Soiled" is what I select on the washer if I'm washing stuff I've sweated heavily in. With Tide. Scented.
Just as pesticide bans, prohibitions on vehicle idling, etc., are, in fact, enforceable, no one has "a legitimate need for scented laundry stuff." Baking soda is all you need. Even as personal deodorant, washing pits with baking soda will remove the odor - not cover it up. The substances are neurotoxins. They adhere to the skin. They never wash out.

Here are the related substances:
ALPHA-TERPINEOL
Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders... "highly irritating to mucous membranes" ..."Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."
BENZYL ACETATE
Carconigenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."
BENZYL ALCOHOL
Causes CNS disorders ..."irritating to the upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."
CAMPHOR
Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms: "local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body tissues"..."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation of vapors."
CHLOROFORM
Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. on EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ..Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin
disorders." "Conditions to avoid: Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.
ETHYL ACETATE
Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)" ..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."
LIMONENE
Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating, drinking ...applying cosmetics. Do not
inhale limonene vapor."
LINALOOL
Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances" ..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous \motor activity and depression ...depressed heart activity ...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."
PENTANE
"Danger - Harmful if inhaled ...Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness