U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 07:11 PM

15,927 posts, read 33,591,063 times

Advertisements

OP, I may have posted in your thread before, but am going to do so again since it was closed and I don't remember. I hope what I say here will make you feel better.

Back around 2012 out of the blue I woke up one day with my heart beating very erratically - it was slow, and missing a lot of beats It would last a few minutes, then resolve. At first that's how it was just a few times per day. It graduated into irregular beats pretty much 24/7, and sometimes I felt quite unwell during these episodes. I went to the doctor, who pretty much pooh-poohed my issue, gave me an EKG but not much else and I guess he thought it was all in my head. I did massive amounts of research online since I got no help from him and discovered that this can happen from vagus nerve/digestive issues and also spinal misalignment which I have. I got a book about mitral valve prolapse and it described me, my symptoms and body type to a "T"! My heartbeat was irregular for about three years. I got to the point I figured I wasn't going to die (although I didn't feel that good) And then one day..... it just went away, and I only have occasional minor "blips." I took a lot of magnesium and got a lot of specialized body work, and I believe these things helped me. I definitely believe in regular exercise, good diet and bodywork. I also want to mention that food sensitivities can cause this also, so something to look into.

Keep working at your health. You have done the right thing by ruling things out, and maybe it will resolve on it's own, like mine did.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM

1,877 posts, read 1,159,856 times
Thanks gypsychic. I made an appointment with a neurologist last week and mentioned I went to him to see about my vagus nerve. He said definitely kit because the vagus slows the heart down and mine speeds up. I went to an RNT and he said I have silent acid reflux. Said to stay away tomato based, citris, Spivey food, caffeine, chocolate, etc. I have been doin that for over a month and I still get palpitations so I don’t think the foods are the problem. I’ll keep going on searching though.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:13 PM

I saw the EP today. Told him everything. He said I was there to see about getting the loop recorder in my chest. I asked if the Apple Watch 6 that I bought yesterday would give the same result and he said it was fine. So, I am wearing it now. He said I can upload the readings to him and he will see. I don’t feel any better about seeing him but we’ll see. Now I gotta figure out how to use this thing.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:42 AM

I returned the watch a few days after I bought it. It was of no use to me. I had some crazy idea that it would continuously record heart info such as EKGs but I realized very quickly that I needed to push my finger down on the crown of the watch to do this and even then, it only records 30 seconds. Since my palpitations last many hours at a time, I do not see how this will help anything.

So, I am about to get the loop recorder inserted in my chest. Still not sure what that will do other than to verify what I claim is happening. Anyone ever get a loop recorder? How long did you have it inserted?

Old 11-04-2020, 11:59 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,920,176 times
Have you had testing done for genetic heart issues? You said your sister has/had palpitations as well. Things such as long qt syndrome can cause palpitations and has a known genetic component.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:30 PM

I mentioned to cardiologist and EP about my sister. Actually, I went to my sisters EP and he didn’t think anything of it. I will ask though. Today is bad. Started getting palpitations around noon and at 7:30, they are going strong despite me taking my beta blocker snd Calm Magnesium supplement. I’m coughing so much, my 10 year old daughter was crying that she doesn’t want me to die. This sucks.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:40 PM

2,776 posts, read 5,224,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I mentioned to cardiologist and EP about my sister. Actually, I went to my sisters EP and he didn’t think anything of it. I will ask though. Today is bad. Started getting palpitations around noon and at 7:30, they are going strong despite me taking my beta blocker snd Calm Magnesium supplement. I’m coughing so much, my 10 year old daughter was crying that she doesn’t want me to die. This sucks.
Austin Goh has some videos on youtube on how to stop heart palpitations.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...h+palpitations

Practicing qigong can calm the heart. There are many different qigong programs. I recommend Spring Forest Qigong by Chun Yi Lin and anything by Roger Jahnke. There are also many other good programs and finding an in person teacher is the best.

Here is a very short video by Chun Yi Lin on heart health. His level 1 qigong program is available on Ebay or directly from his site.

https://bit.ly/3lbAgyU

I also recommend increasing consumption of berries. I take Pure Synergy Organic Berry Powder. It is available on Amazon.

https://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/outrea...sheets/berries

Old 11-05-2020, 11:36 AM

11,552 posts, read 8,376,416 times
Quote:
I returned the watch a few days after I bought it. It was of no use to me. I had some crazy idea that it would continuously record heart info such as EKGs but I realized very quickly that I needed to push my finger down on the crown of the watch to do this and even then, it only records 30 seconds. Since my palpitations last many hours at a time, I do not see how this will help anything.

So, I am about to get the loop recorder inserted in my chest. Still not sure what that will do other than to verify what I claim is happening. Anyone ever get a loop recorder? How long did you have it inserted?
As has been explained to you previously, and no doubt will be again by your EP, the loop recorder will document/record your heart activity continuously like you thought your watch would do. This includes your heart activity (EKGs)`at the exact times you are experiencing those palpitations you describe. With this monitor you are instructed to push a button (it'd be a spot on the skin somewhere, I guess since the monitor is under the skin) when you feel any symptoms such as the palpitations, lightheadedness, etc so your symptoms can be correlated with the EKG findings on the monitor. This is meant to diagnose and characterize cardiac arrhythmias so that needed action may be taken as indicated. As has also been explained previously, they cannot determine that your palpitations are due to a cardiac arrhythmia unless that arrhythmia is documented on a monitor EKG at the same time you experience those symptoms.

The loop monitor is paired with either another monitor ( either a nightstand model or perhaps a phone app, depending on the monitor you get), and communicates with the monitor via bluetooth, sending your cardiac activity to the monitor The monitor sends that information to a site (usually the loop monitor manufacturer), made available to your doctor. If there is any cardiac activity that might be dangerous, or which need some interventional actions ( such as increased or changes in medication)
your doctor will notify you so that needed action may be taken. Otherwise your cardiac activity will be reviewed periodically and your doctor will discuss the findings with you at your followup visits.

The battery life on loop monitors is about three years, though I have read that new versions of the Medtronic Linq models has a five year life span. Means you could have the monitor implanted for up to either 3, or 5 yrs if they don't find a significant arrhythmia associated with your symptoms before that. From people I know who have had loop monitors, those monitors are worn until a significant arrythmia ( such as afib, ventricular tachycardias, frequent SVT) which needs treatment is detected. Or when arrhythmias correlating with symptoms over time are picked up. I know two people who have had several TIAs, or even strokes- and wore loop monitors to pick up occasional atrial fibrillation and its associated clot formation as a cause of those strokes. In some cases once something like that is discovered, and the loop monitor not needed anymore, it can be removed. One lady I know had hers removed after about a year. It took two years for someone else I know to have her symptomatic bradycardia documented, and it was determined she needed a pacemaker. Her loop monitor was removed during the surgery to implant her pacemaker.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:07 AM

I will be getting the loop recorder. I was just asking questions about it. If the batteries last from 3-5 years, does that mean it stays in me for 3-4 years or is it removed when someone figures out why I am getting palpitations? I also wanted to know how long the procedure takes to insert it. Do I drive in, have it inserted and I am free to go about my day or am I laid up for a day or more? I will find out when I see the EP but I was hoping to find out sooner. Last night and last Wednesday were really bad, with palpitations lasting over 6 hours. MY fear is that the loop recorder will not pick these palpitations up just as the heart monitor in the ER did not when I was hooked up to it.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:53 AM

11,552 posts, read 8,376,416 times
Quote:
I will be getting the loop recorder. I was just asking questions about it. If the batteries last from 3-5 years, does that mean it stays in me for 3-4 years or is it removed when someone figures out why I am getting palpitations? I also wanted to know how long the procedure takes to insert it. Do I drive in, have it inserted and I am free to go about my day or am I laid up for a day or more? I will find out when I see the EP but I was hoping to find out sooner. Last night and last Wednesday were really bad, with palpitations lasting over 6 hours. MY fear is that the loop recorder will not pick these palpitations up just as the heart monitor in the ER did not when I was hooked up to it.
Those are questions for your doctor. You might get answers to your questions by taking them to an online forum, but since everyone is different there is no guarantee that these answers will be right in your case.

That said, generally speaking the loop recorder battery remains implanted as long as it's needed to pick up an arrhythmia in a patient. Since many of these arrhythmias are infrequent and paroxysmal, it can take a while to detect them, the chances of doing so increase the longer the monitor is in place.

The maximum battery life is 3-5 yrs, depending on the manufacturer/model. How long a loop monitor remains implanted depends on how long it takes to pick up significant arrhythmias. If monitor results show significant arrhythmias correlating with a patient's symptoms within, for example, six months, and a management plan instituted, if the doctor feels the monitor is no longer needed, it might be removed then. Or, the doc may want to keep it in place to monitor the success of the treatment, or additional information. There really is no one size fits all answer, so your best bet is to ask your EP how long you might expect your monitor to stay implanted once they have picked up and characterized your offending arrhythmia.

Since the loop monitor detects second to second cardiac activity ( in the form of EKGs), both when you're ok, and when you are feeling those palpitations, your monitor will pick up ALL your heart activity ( beats, as it were). If your palpitations are due to abnormal cardiac activity, these WILL be picked up by the monitor. As has been explained before, it's absolutely essential that your palpitations correspond to abnormal arrhythmias that can be documented at the time of your symptoms. If your monitor picks up normal heartbeats only during your symptoms, it's considered that your symptoms are due to noncardiac issues.

I would think that your having a long term monitor in place, for as long as 3-5 yrs (and you won't feel it, won't be aware it's even there after a short time) would give you the best chance of seeing whether or not your palpitations are cardiac in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness