U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 1,103,757 times

Advertisements

For some unknown reason, my thread regarding my heart palpitations that began in the past year was closed. It was still active and I was getting many suggestions as well as others posting about similar issues. I was seeing multiple physicians and updating regularly when I went to post and saw that it was closed. I messaged CD for a reason and no one responded.

So I will continue here. Since the thread was closed, I have seen an ENT and Sleep Apnea doctor, in addition to a recent visit with a electrophysiologist. ENT said I have silent acid reflux, which causes a post nasal drip. He put me on Omeprosol. Slept Apnea doctor said I do have sleep anpnea. He mentioned that a number of 30 incidents per minute is high, I had around 23, which means that I Need a C PAP machine. I am returning for another night to test a mask that I would be comfortable.

I saw my original cardiologist Nd let him know I saw a few other doctors. He said he is glad I did and that the findings was that his diagnostic was right all along. So, I get palpitations but it is nothing physical, no blockages, no a fib, nothing wrong with thyroid, magnesium levels, or anything else. He said to keep hydrated, get enough sleep, which I do. He said it could be stress. Sleep apnea doctor thinks it is anxiety attack based but my cardiologist said no way. So, after nearly a year, I know nothing more than I started, however I do know what it is not.

Last night, along with last a Friday were probably the worst two nights I have had. Palpitations were strong and lasted over 6 hours long each. Taking the beta blocker had no effect. I am off work today because I never fell asleep last night due to the palpitations.

I am now looking after the vagus nerve route at the suggestion from someone in my last thread that was closed. Should I be seeing a neurologist for this? This is my last avenue. I have nowhere to go after this. I hope this results in some results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM

13,338 posts, read 16,645,725 times
have you had your thyroid tested? Sometimes heart palpitations happen when you've a hyper thyroid...or graves disease.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,401,176 times
I've been dealing with increased pvc's lately myself that have been keeping me up late hours but not as extreme as yours it sounds.

I bet it's stress you are probably working yourself up more about noticing the palipations which increases the frequency. Do you have any other symptoms? When I feel them it sends my body into fight or flight mode sometimes and I get shaky inside my arms especially in my sleep.

I bet you it's a combo of both acid reflux and you are hyper aware of every heartbeat. Try to focus your mind on distracting stuff. And believe it or not magnesium helps me when I have enough magnesium I get less of them.

But like I said I bet it's mostly you are too focused on your heart. I notice when I'm distracted I don't have them.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:47 PM

I really doubt it is anxiety or any thoughts that bring on the palpitations. I say that because i went three full weeks without a single one and I really thought it was gone for good. Then, out of nowhere, without me thinking about it returning, I had a real bad night.

I had a blood test that tested my thyroid and of course, it was normal just like everything else they checked for such as anemia, magnesium levels, etc. I take a tsp of CALM (Magnesium supplement) every day. I do not think it does anything. I feel no different and the palpitations happen regardless of me taking it. This really is a mystery and gets more mysterious as I rule things out. That said, there were times I was laying in bed about to fall asleep and began thinking about it, and I am completely unable to start palpitations using my mind. On the other hand, I could be sleeping like a baby and I am awoken by the palpitations, so unless my subconscious mind or dreams brought them on, it surely wasn't my conscious mind.

Thanks for the replies

Old 09-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Just because you aren't directly thinking about them it could be in your subconscious. Trying to figure out what is causing them is increasing your stress probably because I do it. I feel them and then I start googling stuff and reading like I am now and it may not seem stressful as your reading but in reality you are just building more in your head adding to the stress.

Also digestive problems will trigger them indirectly in my experience. I have bad acid reflux at times and gas bloating. I'll notice some pvc's and nearly right after there will be some grumbling or gas bubbles making noise. Once I burp I get less of them. I take gas x and they seem to not happen as often.

Maybe try fasting for a day or eating very little stuff that doesn't produce gas or indigestion heartburn and see if they go away.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:04 AM

As I stated, I have silent acid reflux. In other words, I never feel any burning or have gas. Never in my entire life. I think I might have acid reflux because I was just tested by an ENT doctor when I complained of constant post nasal drip. He stuck a camera though my nose and into my throat and had me swallow applesauce and he could see some would stick to the “goo” that was there. He thought it was acid reflux. When he asked me if I felt like it was coming Down from my nose above or Up from below, I felt it is hanging down. So, he is probably wrong about acid reflux. Fasting won’t help because I could go for weeks without palpitations so not getting them the day I fast will mean nothing because there are no palpitations 98% of the time. I definitely do not sit around thinking about it consciously. It is usually never there, until it is. I do not burp or have any gas when it happenings. It does cause me to cough lightly though.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:57 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,842,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
As I stated, I have silent acid reflux. In other words, I never feel any burning or have gas. Never in my entire life. I think I might have acid reflux because I was just tested by an ENT doctor when I complained of constant post nasal drip. He stuck a camera though my nose and into my throat and had me swallow applesauce and he could see some would stick to the “goo” that was there. He thought it was acid reflux. When he asked me if I felt like it was coming Down from my nose above or Up from below, I felt it is hanging down. So, he is probably wrong about acid reflux. Fasting won’t help because I could go for weeks without palpitations so not getting them the day I fast will mean nothing because there are no palpitations 98% of the time. I definitely do not sit around thinking about it consciously. It is usually never there, until it is. I do not burp or have any gas when it happenings. It does cause me to cough lightly though.
You can actually have allergies and silent reflux. They seem to go together. I have discussed reflux (silent and not) with my other friends who have issues with both and when their allergies get worse, so does the reflux. I have silent reflux, but it sometimes is more traditional. I started to wake up with heart palpitations. I took PPIs for about 4 months and it helped a lot in addition to figuring out my triggers.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:35 PM

I had a rough night last night with heart pvcs myself. Also sleep jolts adrenaline rushes right before I drift off to sleep happened several times and didn't get to bed until.11am today and only slept 3 hours.

I ate a magnesium and potassium rich dinner a baked potato and a half of one and before that a.handful of almonds. No joke my heart pvcs are nearly non existent. The stress I went through and the adrenaline rushes depleted me of those minerals like so many articles I've read online says. Stress robs you off those minerals and then it messes with the heart.

I take magnesium supplements on occassion but the best way to get it is to eat foods with it. The best way to absorb those minerals too. Suppliments you don't even get half the absorption no matter what kind you take.

So for me I think the pvc's are first related to stress and second mineral deficiency. Even if you go to get blood work and it shows your levels are fine that can all change a day after.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 PM

184 posts, read 40,561 times
Beyond taking a good 1 a day multi like Naturelo

An online cardiologist, Dr. Sinatra, suggest these heart supplements
CoQ10 - helps with ATP(cellular energy) production. 100-300 mgs a day
LCarnitine - shuttles fat in your cells mitochondria. 250mg - 1000mg a day
Magnesium - aids in ATP reactions - spectrum(3 forms of mag) 400 mg
D-Ribose - sugar derivative of ATP that helps fuel the regeneration of energy when your body can’t create it quickly enough. When the heart is under stress and deprived of oxygen—during heavy exercise, for instance—there’s a profound depression of ATP. 5-15 grams a day, especially before exercise.
Omega3s - cod liver oil is a good option. 1 gram a day.

Also Vitamin K2(often sold with vitamin D) and potassium(4700mg RDA, need to get through diet - potatoes, salmon, spinach, bananas).

Other articles
Types of Arrhythmias - PVCs are also commonly caused by stress, too much caffeine and alcohol, and deficiencies of magnesium and potassium
What Is a Heart Palpitation? - Initial interventions often include trying to normalize electrolytes, minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge. Potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and chloride are examples
Stop PVCs

Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You can actually have allergies and silent reflux. They seem to go together. I have discussed reflux (silent and not) with my other friends who have issues with both and when their allergies get worse, so does the reflux. I have silent reflux, but it sometimes is more traditional. I started to wake up with heart palpitations. I took PPIs for about 4 months and it helped a lot in addition to figuring out my triggers.
What are PPIs?i have no environmental allergies and only a slight allergy of dairy. (Whole milk, cheese, etc) which I rarely have.

I had a good day at my niece’s son’s 4th birthday and as soon as I got home, my palpitations began. No stress all day. No anxiety. Just showed up unexpectedly as usual. I took my Magnesium supplement and beta blocker I was told to take when I get the palpitations. It has been 30 minutes and no better yet. I hate this. My wife and son went upstate for the weekend and I am with my 10 year old daughter. I hope nothing happens when she is with me because she will be alone and can’t handle this well at all.

Last edited by trusso11783; 09-26-2020 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness