Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,164 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Tunkhannock PA, and witnessed an alarming amount of obesity. Not the children as much as the adults, and then it was mostly women. I would say it was as alarming as 1.5 in every 2.0 adults and young adults. Even my Aunt who lived there and moved a town away commented on the obvious and alarming amount.
Interestingly, I posted this concern under the Pennsylvania Section of this site, and a moderator from Clark Summit, which is a short way away from the town in question removed it because it wasn't a topic that was pertinent to the information discussed about that area (State).
Which brings up another thought. Why wouldn't this be something that a person who may be moving into a new area may want to know?
Is it possible that obesity, like anorexia, is a social disease and therefore contagious, that should be disclosed in a town's demographics...? After all it is one of the major contributors to stroke and heart disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
It has been discovered that if you hang out with obese people, you will start eating like they do and become obese yourself.

I have a obese friend and every now and then we go out to eat together. I get my one small plate of food and she gets her piled high plate. I finish mine and I am done, however she will go back and get another piled high plate and look at me and ask "Is that ALL you are going to eat?". They eat a lot and encourage people around them to eat like they do.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,164 times
Thank you.
I had never even thought of this whole concept until I saw what I saw in this town. I honestly think that if you were of a healthy weight, meaning not obese, and living in this town that you may not fit in. I don't mean to sound mean, but this was so out of the ordinary it was scary. I have been going to visit that town for many years and it was never like this.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the pun here but everyone wants to "fit in"?..

Then too, obesity runs in families. Parents with bad eating habits pass those habits to the children, and then there is the genes. Obesity killed my first husband and my son has 4 children. Out of the 4, 3 are normal to skinny but there is one that always has been chubby to fat and now she is obese and looks exactly like her Grandpa did before he died. Looking at her is like looking at a carbon copy female version of her Grandpa.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,403 times
I am from wilkes-Barre and the same goes here. And you never see kids playing outside as much as when I was a kid. Even in school yards at recess they dont play they just stand there and talk. Growing up it was darned near a sin to be indoors if it wasnt raining. Even in the cold. I blame it on cable television and video games. Also bad parenting.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 AM

172 posts, read 769,235 times
I notice this in my area too. Whenever I go out in public I noticed that a large percentage of people are not only overweight but severely obese. When I see young children getting off of the school buses the majority are overweight.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindian View Post
I notice this in my area too. Whenever I go out in public I noticed that a large percentage of people are not only overweight but severely obese. When I see young children getting off of the school buses the majority are overweight.
I noticed that you're in Las Vegas... I went out there for a vacation a few years ago. What I was most impressed with (and not really in a good way) was the shear gluttony that I saw. I'm sure many of those I saw were tourists, but I was disgusted by how people ate - especially at the buffets! I actually saw one man so big, he walked with two canes and sat in two chairs (he couldn't fit in the booth). He sat while his wife got him several heaping plates of food.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 AM

The human body was not built to carry massive amounts of weight and it objects loudly. My neighbor has to sling herself to just walk and yet she keeps saying her doctor tells her she is as healthy as a horse, not a thing wrong with her. I find obese people are quick to say that. My first husband said it all the time until he dropped dead at the age of 32. His brother was in a wheel chair before he died at his weight wore out his knees but he kept on eating.

I do realize that there is something wrong with them, hormones inbalance or something and they can not help it. I went through a phase when I was going through menopause where I could eat as much as a 300 pound man and never felt full. 5 minutes after eating I would be so hungry again that I would have the shakes and I packed on over 30 pounds overnight. There is a sensor somewhere that tells you, you are hungry, and one that tells you, you are full. These go haywire and you loose that ability to control your appitite.

I worked with a man who had that gastric by pass to loose weight. What I saw was while his stomack couldn't hold much, his appitite was still very much out of control and it was like he had to eat the most calorie packed, fat packed food he could to satisfy that appitite which still wasn't satisfiable.

To me, they are looking at all the wrong things to help some of these people. Whatever the problem is, it is in the brain... But if they address that and it works, these people end up healthy and nobody can profit from the obesity problem.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
High fructose corn syrup has invaded almost everything we eat. Go read your labels. It has become one of the major causes of obesity that started flooding the American food supply around the 1980's. It's in drinks, baked goods, cereal, bread, ketchup, frozen foods and a whole lot more.

This stuff works on the brain, it tricks you into thinking you are still hungry and then stores it as fat. Gee, ya think this is added to make your food tasty, or do you think it's so you spend more money on the food these companies make?

I know obesity can be caused by many factors, so I have sympathy. But who the heck wants to get fat just to make these companies rich. Most people have no idea why they are gaining weight. They don't explain that on the package. Grrr...

About time consumers did something about this IMO.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
High fructose corn syrup has invaded almost everything we eat. Go read your labels. It has become one of the major causes of obesity that started flooding the American food supply around the 1980's. It's in drinks, baked goods, cereal, bread, ketchup, frozen foods and a whole lot more.

This stuff works on the brain, it tricks you into thinking you are still hungry and then stores it as fat. Gee, ya think this is added to make your food tasty, or do you think it's so you spend more money on the food these companies make?
I've just recently read about how much worse HFCS is than regular sugar. And you're absolutely right - it's in everything. Even a lot of "diet" food is packed full of it - they can still call something fat free even if it has a ton of sugars. Most anything pre-packaged it's the number 1 ingredient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness