Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 06:28 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
And that is the way I would like DH and myself to go. Do not feel guilty, be happy, she didn`t suffer.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I know I shouldn't feel guilty but I miss her so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Women RARELY have "chest pain" during a heart attack....although it's possible....most think they have indigestion, or a pulled muscle or something like that. Maybe nausea or lightheadedness.....
Yes, I found that out myself just recently, but too late for my friend. I wish we had known more about the difference between men and women when it comes to heart attack symptoms. It's very important for all of us to know. There's the "Hollywood version" of heart attacks we see on film and tv - the dramatic clutching of the chest. Probably not that common even with men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Like anything else, everyone differs... I suppose not unlike headaches, colds or flues... some are slight, some linger for weeks, some take one immediately to the floor.

My 50-yr old cousin died in a hotel in his sleep of an attack while traveling. They say peacefully, but I guess one never really knows... maybe he passed easily or maybe he struggled for hours with pain & breathing & simply couldn't get out of bed. BTW, he didn't smoke & never had health problems, other than drinking problems from time to time... unsure if that contributed.

A neighbor from the old 'hood had 5 major heart attacks, the 1st at age 40. All required some sort of surgery & hospitalization for weeks. He had great distress with all of them, mostly trouble catching a breath, chest pain, preceded by feeling off for days before each. With each, he dropped unconscious to the floor. He was always happy & seemed fine after each one, but he said the chest pain felt like he was being stabbed in the heart. The 6th killed him at age 90, 3-mos after his wife of 70-yrs passed away. We all knew neither would last long, once one of them passed.

My mum had one about 10-yrs ago & didn't know 'til she went for a physical 1-2 wks later. I honestly don't know how it was discovered... which test, I mean. I think they gave her a routine MRI, EKG and/or CAT scan... sorry, I don't recall what made the doc send her for further testing. She didn't have chest pain. She said her left had radiating pain, she had 3-4 minutes of painful indigestion, but nothing extreme & then it stopped. It was a coincidence that she had an upcoming physical... she didn't feel badly enough to seek treatment. Today, she's 88, has slowed down a lot, but has had no further heart issues & takes no meds.

I'm sorry to those who experienced this firsthand or lost loved ones.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:32 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
SOMETIMES we hear someone died peacefully in their sleep,is that possible?

Any kind of death is possible, imho.

I've been at the bedside of several who've passed. They all passed "peacefully" in that they just stopped breathing. There was no flinching, gasping, crying out, thrashing about or moaning. Two times, I recall the person opening their eyes & acknowledging those at their bedside, one even said my name, then they closed their eyes, appeared to be asleep the rest of the time they remained alive, occasionally we'd hear a deeper breath & they passed away within hours. Only the flatline sound alerted us to the fact that they'd passed.

Unlike others who say they found a loved one with a slight smile on their faces, what I do recall is they didn't look the same as when they were up & about... they looked ill, pale & their faces had changed in some way... I cannot describe it cuz I don't know what I saw that was different. I guess the best way to describe it is how different someone looks when very ill with a cold or flu. They just look awful, different, ill. I'm not religious, but they didn't look like themselves & when they passed, we all said we could feel that they'd "left"... some would say it was the soul.

So, I guess I'd call those 2 instances peaceful passing. We didn't see or feel distress, just the sadness from others in the room for the person passing.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:29 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
It is more painful, for the loved ones left behind.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
My older brother has had 2 heart attacks. The first he said he felt a tightening sort of pain in his chest, almost like a very long muscle spasm in his chest muscles that wouldn't go away. Painful, but not like screaming agony. He had stents inserted in the 2 arteries that were 90% blocked. The second attack, a much more serious one requiring a 5 way bypass surgery, he never felt any chest pain. He just felt like he had the flu he said. He was tired, achey, all over and felt like he had indigestion. He stayed home for 2 days from work, then he decided to go to work on the 3rd day, and he suddenly felt much worse at work, as if he couldn't get his breath and he had someone drive him to the hospital. They said he had been having a heart attack for 3 days.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-12-2020 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My older brother has had 2 heart attacks. The first he said he felt a tightening sort of pain in his chest, almost like a very long muscle spasm in his chest muscles that wouldn't go away. Painful, but not like screaming agony. He had stents inserted in the 2 arteries that were 90% blocked. The second attack, a much more serious one requiring a 5 way bypass surgery, he never felt any chest pain. He just felt like he had the flu he said. He was tired, achey, all over and felt like he had indigestion. He stayed home for 2 days from work, then he decided to go to work on the 3rd day, and he suddenly felt much worse at work, as if he couldn't get his breath and he had someone drive him to the hospital. They said he had been having a heart attack for 3 days.
This is SCARY!!! I get muscle spasms in my chest muscles frequently, but they are quick to fade away and I can usually stop them by moving or flexing my arms in a certain position...but it scary to think these COULD be heart attacks...Who know?!! Im surely not going to the hospital every time I get a muscle spasm, LOL

It scares me even more, since I have a 'deviated left ventricle'...although Im a bit confused on if this is serious or not, some doctors say it is, but others blow it off and tell me not to worry about that. According to what Ive read about deviated left ventricles, it means the wall of the heart (in that area) is thinner than it should be.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:08 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Many people also mistake pain coming from this area, to be a heart attack, when in reality, its just normal muscle pain.

Ive been told a heart attack feels like someone sitting on your chest.
It depends. I have an older friend whose pain was in his back. ER doc gave him nitroglycerin, and his back pain went away. They took him straight into the OR for a bypass operation.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is SCARY!!! I get muscle spasms in my chest muscles frequently, but they are quick to fade away and I can usually stop them by moving or flexing my arms in a certain position...but it scary to think these COULD be heart attacks...Who know?!! Im surely not going to the hospital every time I get a muscle spasm, LOL

It scares me even more, since I have a 'deviated left ventricle'...although Im a bit confused on if this is serious or not, some doctors say it is, but others blow it off and tell me not to worry about that. According to what Ive read about deviated left ventricles, it means the wall of the heart (in that area) is thinner than it should be.
Maybe not but it DEFINITELY should be looked into.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Maybe not but it DEFINITELY should be looked into.
Ive also learned that I have whats called a 'predcordial catch', its fairly rare and harmless for the most part, but it can feel like something serious.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:08 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not to sound too harsh, and maybe someone has already brought this up, but if someone has died from a massive heart attack how can you know if it was painful or not, since the person died and they can't tell you the level of pain they felt?

Of course people have had heart attacks, even massive ones and have lived to tell the tale, but if you are talking about death, the dead tell no tales!
My dad had a widowmaker heart attack. Thankfully, he was in the ER when it happened or he'd been gone, gone. It took staff nearly 3 minutes to get him back.

He said he felt a horrid stabbing pain in his chest, unlike anything he ever felt before. The next thing he was cognizant of was someone calling his name after they got a heartbeat back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness