Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 11:54 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,333,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Hi, I just went to the doctor and found out I have elevated blood pressure. I'd like some suggestions (good or bad) on what I should do to bring it down. I currently do not take any medication, but sometimes I do not get enough sleep as I work two jobs. My jobs are physical and I rarely sit down. Thanks!

That blood pressure reading is alarming. The ideal is 120/80.

High blood pressure is very serious.
It is important how old you are. Have you had high blood pressure for decades or months?

I highly recommend you call that doctor and ask him for a prescription. You shouldn't need to see him in his office because he just examined you. Did you first refuse the medication during the exam?

There is no time to lose.
  • Dehydration is your enemy. Drink more water and replenish electrolytes (sports drinks with low sugar) all through the day and evening.
  • Cut out as much stress as you can possibly manage. Working those 2 jobs like you do is killing you
  • Take those "coffee breaks" in quiet if you can. Sit down and slow down. Hydrate. Breath some fresh air. Inhale deeply through out the day, a few times ,and oxygenate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 12:26 AM

532 posts, read 438,108 times
I have high blood pressure and have been on medications for it for 20 years now.
I occasionally take my own blood pressure at home sitting down and relaxed to see how I am doing.
Took a while to get it under control.

Currently my BP is 120s/70s pulse 70s
I am 2 different meds for it.

My recommendation for your BP 151/96:
Usually your Dr would have it rechecked while you are at your visit, if you were sick or in pain then maybe come back and have medical staff recheck it for you when you feel well.
Also if you have a high BP it is common to for your Dr to have you return to the office every day for 3 to 5 days for a recheck.
or do it on your own
Go to a pharmacy or Walmart several days in a row and check your BP, write it down and drop it off for your Dr to see.

I bought a automatic BP cuff at Costco and I check my own every several weeks to see if the meds are effective
also I bought a manual BP cuff and learned how to check that way as well.

Good Luck!
One reading of 150/90s isn't dangerous by itself ,but 10-20 years of high BP may lead to increase risk of coronary artery disease and stroke

Old 11-11-2020, 12:34 AM

337 posts, read 205,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
That blood pressure reading is alarming. The ideal is 120/80.

High blood pressure is very serious.
It is important how old you are. Have you had high blood pressure for decades or months?

I highly recommend you call that doctor and ask him for a prescription. You shouldn't need to see him in his office because he just examined you. Did you first refuse the medication during the exam?

There is no time to lose.
  • Dehydration is your enemy. Drink more water and replenish electrolytes (sports drinks with low sugar) all through the day and evening.
  • Cut out as much stress as you can possibly manage. Working those 2 jobs like you do is killing you
  • Take those "coffee breaks" in quiet if you can. Sit down and slow down. Hydrate. Breath some fresh air. Inhale deeply through out the day, a few times ,and oxygenate.
Thanks for the suggestions on what to do. No, I went in for a clogged ear, and they showed me my blood pressure. This was a small clinic not my regular doctor. This is the first time I had it high, my last reading at the doctors was 121/86. I can honestly say that I get about 6 maybe 7 hours of sleep. Sometimes even 5.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:36 AM

337 posts, read 205,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I have high blood pressure and have been on medications for it for 20 years now.
I occasionally take my own blood pressure at home sitting down and relaxed to see how I am doing.
Took a while to get it under control.

Currently my BP is 120s/70s pulse 70s
I am 2 different meds for it.

My recommendation for your BP 151/96:
Usually your Dr would have it rechecked while you are at your visit, if you were sick or in pain then maybe come back and have medical staff recheck it for you when you feel well.
Also if you have a high BP it is common to for your Dr to have you return to the office every day for 3 to 5 days for a recheck.
or do it on your own
Go to a pharmacy or Walmart several days in a row and check your BP, write it down and drop it off for your Dr to see.

I bought a automatic BP cuff at Costco and I check my own every several weeks to see if the meds are effective
also I bought a manual BP cuff and learned how to check that way as well.

Good Luck!
One reading of 150/90s isn't dangerous by itself ,but 10-20 years of high BP may lead to increase risk of coronary artery disease and stroke
Awesome! Thanks I will check costco.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:17 AM

1,013 posts, read 713,844 times
When I was first diagnosed with hypertension, my doctor said to cut down on salt and salty foods. You’d be surprised at how much sodium is in many foods and also how quickly you can adapt to less salty foods.

Another risk factor is being overweight.

You can try to moderate the BP yourself but if it continues I would think your doctor will prescribe medication.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,587,080 times
I would eliminate red meats, walk daily, and work on anger issues (as well as doing whatever is medically appropriate).

Old 11-11-2020, 03:58 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,826,085 times
Alright - firstly, don't panic. I'm talking to other commenters. While that BP is mildly concerning and worth a conversation - it is mainly worth a 2nd check. BP (even yours!) is up that high from time to time, even just watching an NFL game, if it means that much to you. Sure, diet, exercise, weight, genetics, stress - ALL can play a role - but about 9 out of 10 cases have no definitive cause, and will not be fixed by any of those things, or at least, not as quickly as with pills.

Go see your doctor - who will probably tell you to come back in a month, after trying a few relaxing things, if something in your lifestyle grabs his ear, including being nervous at the doctor.

It's not momentary HPB that's the problem - everyone has that - it's chronic HBP that causes bad damage.

The pills are no big deal - and your level, if chronic, is easily managed. Yes, probably forever.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 1,075,285 times
Get a BP monitor at Walmart, Amazon, CVS, or Walgreens .

-Multivitamin with K2 like Naturelo 1 day, prevent calcium buildup in your arteries
-1 to 1 ratio magnesium/calcium supplement, dont take at the same time as the multivitamin
-Low salt(eating out is very high salt), also ask for low salt meats at the deli.
-Manage your sugar(around 80 resting blood test), bread/pasta is the hidden sugar in most diets, like pizza.
-Less fried foods
-Natto(Arthur Andrew Medical or Jarrow) and teaspoon fish oil or cod liver oil + full spectrum vit E
-Exercise, mix in some HIIT exercise(15 minutes on bike/stepper - 30 sec slow, 30 fast).

Recommendations from Dr.Sinatra

Collagen is another good prevention, we start making less and less after 30.

You just missed a thread on this

Old 11-11-2020, 10:09 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,125,759 times
First off, if this was a new discovery I'd take measurements a few times per day for a month or so to determine if the doctor's findings are accurate. Why? Because some people, like myself, only seem to have high blood pressure at the doctors office. At the office mine typically is between 130 and 145 but the long term chart shows an average blood pressure in the range of 121-123....not high enough to require medicine. Over the years I've also found that just a 5-10 pound increase in weight or a lack of cardiovascular exercise can indeed make a difference.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 AM

312 posts, read 274,572 times
I have been on meds for about a year as it was quite high. Now it is borderline OK.

Get a home monitor. One that will send the readings to an app, so you can track the trends via a spreadsheet. Plenty on Amazon and they are not expensive.

Some people get high readings in doctors offices, as noted above. White-coat fever can lead you to believe you have more of a problem than you do. I am one of those. Hence a home monitor.

If you do have high BP and have had it for a while, consider getting a scan done of your chest for potential heart issues. I did ... and I had issues.

Eliminate excessive salt from your diet. My heart doctor says that's good for something like 20 percent off the BP if you do it right. The doctors also are big fans of weight loss and cardio for this.

If you go on the meds, you're most likely on them for life. Some people do get off via diet and exercise, but most do not. The meds are a bit of a pain and a minor expense, but they beat the dangers of high BP.

That's some of what I've learned, anyway. (I just know what they tell me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness