U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:13 PM

80 posts, read 22,140 times

Advertisements

So my mom had lung cancer which she did radiation and chemo for which she is now cancer free. But the chemo really did a number on her body overall. It messed her thyroid and adrenal glands up and now her kidney function is on a decline. Theirs not many supplements I see that she can take to help. If anybody’s had anything similar what’s the best foods she can eat or any type of supplements that might help her kidneys?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 06:32 PM

2,509 posts, read 1,288,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
So my mom had lung cancer which she did radiation and chemo for which she is now cancer free. But the chemo really did a number on her body overall. It messed her thyroid and adrenal glands up and now her kidney function is on a decline. Theirs not many supplements I see that she can take to help. If anybody’s had anything similar what’s the best foods she can eat or any type of supplements that might help her kidneys?

I don't think there is anything she can take to help improve kidney function, and taking the wrong things could make her kidneys work harder. I say that because some wacko quacko here is bound to suggest that she take some supplement or another, but she should only do so if her doctor approves it beforehand. Moderating protein intake and living,eating and exericising as healthily as she can manage is probably her best chance of regaining kidney function.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...pshealthprimer

6 Things People with Kidney Disease Should Do:
  • Lower high blood pressure
  • Manage blood sugar levels
  • Reduce salt intake
  • Avoid NSAIDs, a type of painkiller
  • Moderate protein consumption
  • Get an annual flu shot
9 Things Everyone Should Do:
  • Exercise regularly
  • Control weight
  • Follow a balanced diet
  • Quit smoking
  • Drink only in moderation
  • Stay hydrated
  • Monitor cholesterol levels
  • Get an annual physical
  • Know your family medical history

Old 11-12-2020, 09:09 PM

18,538 posts, read 18,668,772 times
You can reduce the amount of work they have to do, by getting to an ideal weight, if not
there already.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:51 PM

199 posts, read 45,717 times
Most important nutrient is P5P, form of vitamin B6 is really helpful - From life extension

They also mention CoQ10, Silymarin(milk thistle from Jarrow), resveratrol(Revgenetics good brand), and R-lipoic acid(or alpha lipoic acid)

as mentioned above
"High blood pressure, elevated blood sugar, NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen), certain medications, and high-protein diets are the most common threats to kidney health."

Probiotic
Little pricey, Renadyl is a probiotic that will offload removal of some waste instead of your kidney's doing it. Almost like a 3rd kidney. Also good for gout sufferers.

"natural strains of specific beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that have an affinity for uremic toxins like urea, creatinine, uric acid, and several other nitrogenous waste products"

Other supplements
Glutathione(Bulk supplements or Jarrow), full spectrum E(jarrow famil E), omegas 3(nordic naturals or virgin CoD oil), and curcumin(jarrow curcumin95 or LEF elite) are all helpful as well.

Other resources
Lots of good articles by kidney coach - Proteins, alkaline diet

Online Kidney DR, Davita website

CKD eventually got my Dad, too many nsaids and high sugar. Dialysis is no fun.

Last edited by Rom623; 11-12-2020 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 PM

12,150 posts, read 7,845,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I don't think there is anything she can take to help improve kidney function, and taking the wrong things could make her kidneys work harder. I say that because some wacko quacko here is bound to suggest that she take some supplement or another, but she should only do so if her doctor approves it beforehand. Moderating protein intake and living,eating and exericising as healthily as she can manage is probably her best chance of regaining kidney function.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...pshealthprimer

6 Things People with Kidney Disease Should Do:
  • Lower high blood pressure
  • Manage blood sugar levels
  • Reduce salt intake
  • Avoid NSAIDs, a type of painkiller
  • Moderate protein consumption
  • Get an annual flu shot
9 Things Everyone Should Do:
  • Exercise regularly
  • Control weight
  • Follow a balanced diet
  • Quit smoking
  • Drink only in moderation
  • Stay hydrated
  • Monitor cholesterol levels
  • Get an annual physical
  • Know your family medical history

Great answer.

Supplements wont help

Old 11-13-2020, 08:19 AM

2,509 posts, read 1,288,113 times
If you have kidney disease do not take any of these things without talking to your doctor first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Most important nutrient is P5P, form of vitamin B6 is really helpful - From life extension

They also mention CoQ10, Silymarin(milk thistle from Jarrow), resveratrol(Revgenetics good brand), and R-lipoic acid(or alpha lipoic acid)

as mentioned above
"High blood pressure, elevated blood sugar, NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen), certain medications, and high-protein diets are the most common threats to kidney health."

Probiotic
Little pricey, Renadyl is a probiotic that will offload removal of some waste instead of your kidney's doing it. Almost like a 3rd kidney. Also good for gout sufferers.

"natural strains of specific beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that have an affinity for uremic toxins like urea, creatinine, uric acid, and several other nitrogenous waste products"

Other supplements
Glutathione(Bulk supplements or Jarrow), full spectrum E(jarrow famil E), omegas 3(nordic naturals or virgin CoD oil), and curcumin(jarrow curcumin95 or LEF elite) are all helpful as well.

Other resources
Lots of good articles by kidney coach - Proteins, alkaline diet

Online Kidney DR, Davita website

CKD eventually got my Dad, too many nsaids and high sugar. Dialysis is no fun.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:10 PM

80 posts, read 22,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Great answer.

Supplements wont help
Milk Thistle want help at all?

Old 11-13-2020, 03:14 PM

7,603 posts, read 3,167,207 times
Yes. Kidney damage can be reversed (google that) - I know people who were on dialysis and now have normal kidneys. You're wise to inquire.

I don't know the actual methods - but the kidney foundation is lots of info on foods to eat and those to avoid.

I would think lots of fresh, filtered water would be important.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:18 PM

4,701 posts, read 1,835,202 times
It all depends on what damage was done to the kidneys.

Some damage is reversible. Most types are not.

Some kidney problems require restriction of fluids; some require extra fluids.

Some types require restriction of salt; some types require extra salt.

Some types require restriction of protein; some don't.

Some types will benefit from certain meds; most don't.

No "supplement' will help; some will hurt.

Her specific case needs to be discussed with her docs.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:30 PM

199 posts, read 45,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
Milk Thistle want help at all?
Many supplements will help

"A randomized, controlled, double-blind study in 60 patients with diabetic kidney disease showed that compared to placebo, daily therapy with 420 mg silymarin resulted in a significant decrease in albuminuria and reduction in urinary levels of TNF-a and MDA"

Even from the article, you will see in their conclusion section they arent sticking their neck out too far. Not without a very large clinical trial which will probably never happen, but at least they provide you with the data so far.

Cost does of course become an issue. P5P would be tops for me, very inexpensive. Fish oil(part of general health anyway), Milk Thistle(silymarin), and glutathione would be next imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or