U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 05:16 PM

11,351 posts, read 3,524,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I'll agree with the "buyer beware" part, but clinical trials are demanded by the FDA as part of the approval & licensing process.

The thing we have to watch out for is (a) the industry supported research only reports the favorable trials and doesn't publish the trials that show little or no benefit of the drug tested, (b) the govt funded trials get their money from an "in group" that is subject to lobbyists &/or is comprised of "experts" in the field who have their own pet theories to defend, which means (c) you only get research funds if your work is going to agree with theirs and keep them in power. Also consider the "No Problem = No Funds" aspect of grant applications.

As always, beware of studies that report "Relative Risk Reduction" instead of "Absolute Risk Reduction." That's a disingenuous way of turning a puny single digit per cent improvement into an impressive double digit per cent improve. Eg- statins improve post-MI survival by only 2% ARR, but the papers report it as 35% RRR.
The patients in the studies are cherrypicked to get the best possible result.

Patients in the real world do not have to meet the very specific inclusion and exclusion criteria.

Which is why patients in the real world actually experience 'side effects' while those in the study? Meh, not so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 PM

2,855 posts, read 5,866,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Most common reason for discontinuing statins is muscle aches.

link to recent study

This is probably why the muscles continue to have problems for a short time after switching off the statin.
My doctor refused to take my side-effects seriously. At the time I hiked for a mile in the mornings before work three times a week, I went on up to 20 mile hikes on the weekend, rode my bike every single day after work for 10 miles, walked as much as possible to local shops, and did a regular stair-stepper routine of 100 reps. My doctor told me to exercise MORE to work out the pain. I had been doing my exercise routine for years before ever taking a statin, and never had pain or collapsing legs. After taking his advice I ended up losing full use of my legs, had to leave my job, sell my bike, and eventually sold my car. I couldn't even walk from one room to the next in my home. For me, the majority of the damage has never reversed, and experts in statin-damage say it never will. At least I am able to walk again and managed to reverse the statin caused Type 2 diabetes. However, the traumatic brain injury, destroyed immune system, chronic crippling pain, liver cysts (no, I do not drink alcohol!), inability to control body temperature, damage to nerve sheathes, and chronic insomnia will never go away. My UCLA Medical findings of my muscle biopsy state that statins damaged my body and also showed that they caused a trigger to a gene that causes a rare medical issue normally presenting only in early childhood. I never had this medical issue as a child, but I have it now.

The fact is that many doctors are aware of the damages caused, but since most now operate their practices under health providers like Kaiser Permanente, they push the drugs they are told to push. When I tried to go to arbitration over my damages I was turned down, because the doctor who damaged me, and the "experts" he sent me to, all lied, withheld or "lost" results. When I moved to Idaho from California, Kaiser kept refusing to send my medical records to my new doctor. It has taken nearly four years and threats from my doctor that she she would file an official complaint, and my records were finally sent two months ago. My doctor read through everything and says that the "missing" documents are there, as well as the evidence that the former doctor and experts lied to the arbitration board.

Statins=Big $$$ because they also cause other medical issues that bring doctors and Big Pharma MORE money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness