Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 08:05 PM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

My sister in Oklahoma and one of her sons are scrupulous mask-wearers. She isn't working at the moment, and he is in college online only, so they are both home almost all the time. They both got Covid about ten days ago with mild symptoms and are fully recovered. Her other son works at Trader Joe's (constantly in contact with the public) and he tested negative. Her husband is working in person at Boeing and he didn't get it either. Go figure.

The point is, the percentage of people who get Covid despite wearing masks is just a little (sarcasm) higher than the percentage of women who get pregnant while using three forms of birth control. And that we really haven't figured out yet where the rising case numbers are coming from. Everyone agrees that masks don't give 100% protection, but they clearly don't provide 95%, 90%, or maybe even 75% either. I'm not saying we shouldn't mask, every little bit helps, but I wouldn't go around blaming people who aren't wearing masks, and saying that if we all masked up every second, we wouldn't have a problem.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
On the news this evening, they reported that Thanksgiving travel n 2020 was up over last year in 80% of U.S. counties.

Together with the anti-mask nonsense, I find that travel statistic both shocking and sad.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
...Everyone agrees that masks don't give 100% protection, but they clearly don't provide 95%, 90%, or maybe even 75% either. I'm not saying we shouldn't mask, every little bit helps, but I wouldn't go around blaming people who aren't wearing masks, and saying that if we all masked up every second, we wouldn't have a problem.
I agree that "every little bit helps" , but disagree about whether or not anti-maskers should be blamed.

People who don't wear masks when they are near others who are obviously vulnerable are selfish. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone over 65 and someone under 40 and to see the difference between someone who looks fit and one who either looks infirm or obese. The vast majority of deaths and severe illness are in older, high risk people. Other people have gotten ill and died, too, but not in the high numbers of the old, obese and diabetic of any age.

Our masks do filter out 90% and 95% because, like many Californians, we had some left over from the wildfires of past years. But if two people are wearing typical 2020 masks around each other, there are two masks between them for protection, so let's keep that in mind. It's probably not close to double protection, but it is increased protection.

What has really disappointed me is that we don't seem to have any American businesses stepping in to manufacture proper N95 masks for the masses this far into the pandemic.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree that "every little bit helps" , but disagree about whether or not anti-maskers should be blamed.

People who don't wear masks when they are near others who are obviously vulnerable are selfish. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone over 65 and someone under 40 and to see the difference between someone who looks fit and one who either looks infirm or obese. The vast majority of deaths and severe illness are in older, high risk people. Other people have gotten ill and died, too, but not in the high numbers of the old, obese and diabetic of any age.

Our masks do filter out 90% and 95% because, like many Californians, we had some left over from the wildfires of past years. But if two people are wearing typical 2020 masks around each other, there are two masks between them for protection, so let's keep that in mind. It's probably not close to double protection, but it is increased protection.

What has really disappointed me is that we don't seem to have any American businesses stepping in to manufacture proper N95 masks for the masses this far into the pandemic.
This company in Seattle, WA will ship free KF94 masks
https://www.healmadeusa.com/
3M chart explains the differences between the N95 and KF94:
* they filter a nearly identical percentage of particles—95% versus 94%
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...7bc70578191520

I found one N95 factory in Vancouver BC. For free shipment, one has to order 6 boxes (x 10 pieces).
https://eternitymsm.com/

ASTM Level-3 4-Ply Headband Style Disposable Face Masks are now selling at C$1.99 for 50 pieces.
"Some of these masks have a weak weld causing the elastic headband to pull away from the fabric of the mask." It can be easily fixed by securing them with diy stitches yourself.
Shipment is free for an order 16 boxes.
https://www.maxillexpress.com/ca/cat...s/category/14/

Old 12-10-2020, 12:26 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Masks do work. Don't you get tired of spreading misinformation?

How do you know? Please cite studies, give data, and explain why so many masked places in the world have had cases skyrocket.

"People aren't wearing them" is not an excuse, because in many places people are wearing them, yet cases are soaring.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Stop saying that everyone who is concerned is TERRIFIED - that's not true.

Masks are not 100% effective. NOTHING is 100% effective...even using 3 forms of BC some women get pregnant...! That doesn't mean we chuck BC in the toilet.

Here's a very visual model that might help you - the idea is that multiple (imperfect) layers improve the level of protection beyond any single layer:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/h...on-mackay.html

I know you can figure this out if you really try.
the fact that the OP has created at least 50 emotional threads about COVID, masks and infection while screeching at people to "wear their damn masks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " ... shows a pattern of fear and anxiety.

I know you can figure this out if you really try.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:53 AM

7,926 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We just found out that our two step-grand kids have this awful disease

With our medical issues and age, there is nothing we can do but talk to them and pray. Our Docs won't let is travel two states to see them
It's not your doctor's place to "let" you travel to another American state. It's his job to advise, and your job to choose. You could choose to see them, and practice all relevant safety protocols on your visit. It's also valid to choose not to visit as well. Don't feel guilty about that. As others have noted, chances are your family members will be just fine. If they take a turn for the worse you can re-evaluate your decision not to visit at that time. Good luck to you and yours!

Old 12-10-2020, 07:54 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
It's not your doctor's place to "let" you travel to another American state. It's his job to advise, and your job to choose. You could choose to see them, and practice all relevant safety protocols on your visit. It's also valid to choose not to visit as well. Don't feel guilty about that. As others have noted, chances are your family members will be just fine. If they take a turn for the worse you can re-evaluate your decision not to visit at that time. Good luck to you and yours!
Yeah, but if he does this, he is taking responsibility for his own actions and circumstances which clearly he doesn't want to do. He wants to blame his situation on someone else so that he can continue to play the "victim" card. That's just the way that some people are.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
How do you know? Please cite studies, give data, and explain why so many masked places in the world have had cases skyrocket.

"People aren't wearing them" is not an excuse, because in many places people are wearing them, yet cases are soaring.
The cases are skyiocketing because people are not wearing masks. The data is in, masks do help prevent the spread.

I know it is hard for so many to grasp but you do not have to have symptoms to spread the virus. The single most important thing to know about this virus. You could be exposed, be positive and not ever feel sick. If you are not wearing a mask at this point you are going to spread the virus to everyone you come near.

There are many articles on wearing masks. Here is one.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Old 12-10-2020, 08:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
down here in florida, convenience stores are the worst..I don't go inside but do get gas and over half, if not more of the people I see going in and out of the store don't have masks on..that's hundreds of potential spreaders every day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness