Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 08:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,381,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
It would be really nice if ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES would cover ALL treatments to help smokers quit the habit.
I think it would be nice if insurance companies just covered SOMETHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 40,206 times
6 weeks down and still clean.

I guess if I am still feeling it fairly rough at 6 weeks I am going to be one of those 8-12 weeks people before this monkey eases off my back some??

Waiting for the cinnamon toothpicks to arrive, hope that helps some as the gum chewing and water drinking getting old.

GSH

PS. Sure gets quiet around here.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,481,616 times
Congratulations!! I know what you mean about the water-what is up with that anyway? It might sound goofy, but you could call around to a few restaurants and see if they had those toothpicks! They might think it's a crank phone call [crazy Americans!] but it's worth a shot. I'm not sure how long the actual withdrawal takes, somebody told me the nicotine is out of your system in about 3 days. Now, it is entirely possible that this is not true, but I convinced myself that it was, and just rode it out. Mind over matter, and all. I'd say if you have six weeks smoke free under your belt, maybe you don't need no stinkin' toothpicks!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Well another week down. The toothpicks came in as well. Let me say if the fire from those things do not stop your urge to smoke nothing will!

I mean Hot Hot Hot!!! and Buster Poindexter got nothing on them. They last a longer time though, and I would recommend to any that look at them as well to remember not to chew them too much so they stay reasonable.

Yeah Fuzzy, water I mean damn....please no more........argggggggh.

GSH

Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Good for you!! Never knew those toothpicks to be really hot, must be the good stuff! Plus, maybe your taste buds are more sensitive now-that's what "they" say, whoever "they" are...all I know is my appetite is gargantuan now, and it's not going to be easy to keep weight off. But, soon it will be 3 months for me, so yippee!! Keep up the good work

Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Well working on week 11. Still smoke free, no cigs here. They are still nagging me though for sure, but the toothpicks, and normal gum help. I swear though all the water in the world could disappear and I would cheer at this moment. LOL

2 Months and 3 weeks cold turkey come this SAT. WOOT!

GSH

Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM

HOO-rah!! Great to see you back, and keeping at it! Seems like I quit a looong time ago, but it was Dec. 12. Dang, no fair!! How's the weather where you are? If it's getting nicer out, there's something to be said for getting out and finding diversions-like, for instance, I guess you can't smoke while you're... swimming!?! Or playing tennis! Anyway, keep checking in, you're doing great and it's got to be making you feel good to consider yourself a non-smoker. Not like when you quit drinking, you are forever a "recovering alcoholic!!" What's up with that??? [I also think you're past the stage where drinking massive quantities of water is going to make a darn bit of difference! ] So---way to go, hang tough!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 AM

982 posts, read 3,298,450 times
Hey guys - I was wondering if I could join the bandwagon??

Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 PM

17 posts, read 130,526 times
This looks to be an old post but I have been free from the addiction of cigarettes for app. 18 mos. now. I quit cold turkey after smoking for over 25 years. I have rarely been ill in my life except for childhood asthma which I had completely out grown by the age of 13 which is when I unfortunately picked up the nasty habit after a friends parents encouraged me to smoke and said I looked so grown up with a cigarette. I quit because I wanted to be around for my granddaughter. I became sick after I quit and have been hospital several times since quitting with pnuemonia "which I never had in my life". The first time I was in I ended up in ICU just hours after being admitted and nearly died. Doctors thought I had bird flu or something similar and every doctor has his opinion why I have been sick off and on since I quit. One even said he thought it was because my body is trying to get rid of all the poisions from those years of smoking. No one can agree the reason, but I have not been diagnosed with cancer ( thank heavens) so if there is a way possible for you to quit by all means do it ASAP and do not wait. I didnt gain too much weight 5 or 6 lbs. is all. COLD TURKEY is the way to go.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 PM

My sister had pneumonia in January, and they found out she has (non-small cell) lung cancer-so does my mom (small cell)-who was diagnosed a year ago, Mother's Day. I quit in December of last year, for what its worth. Thus far, all seems well and only couple pounds weight gain, but am working out [there's a workout thread on here] which means little in the grand scheme of things, but it's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness