Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,495 times

Advertisements

I have tried several times. About nine years ago I quit for eight days. Had one of those huge stressful days and just like that started again. I dont think I could quit right now. There is just to much instability, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 02:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Pixie, I was gonna write you a quit it post. First I checked your personal profile and thought. ' Wow!!Thats enough to make "ole blue" want a nicotine breakSoooooo, well how about hypnosis??

Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
Look at this in medical terms:

There are two things people forget - which it may help to remember:

1) We're dealing with a drug addiction here. That means this is serious and it means that this a formidable challenge. But it means there's a solution.
Withdrawing from other drug addiction(s) will make a person SICK and miserable - why shouldn't withdrawing from this one? I've read a few biographies of people who have quit several drugs at once (John Coltrane for instance) and to a man, they report this addiction was as tough, or tougher than any other.

2) People can (and do) quit all the time.

If you contact your local hospital, or Lung Association or Heart association - you can take a class and a test/questionaire which will help you understand your smoking in medical terms. If you look at this as a medical issue, you can approach it medically, and the solution will be easier. A combination of drugs, counseling and changes in your life (depending on what the test says about what sort of a smoker you are) can make this a lot less difficult.

Some (few) people can quit fairly easily. But that has no bearing on how difficult it will be for you, and shouldn't make you feel bad.

You can do this!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
New update, I was so close to buying that pack of smoke today!!!!! This is the turn of events, I found a car I wanted to buy yesterday, the bank was closed so I had to wait until today to get a loan for it.
I have money to cover the cost of this car, and you would think as long as we have banked there, and as much money is in our accounts, we could get fast service, wrong!!!! I was terrible, I called and told them I would be pulling my money out of there bank if they didn't get the loan going, finally at 2:00pm I went up to sign the papers.
I then went to the dealers to pick up my car and pay for it, I had to wait there also, then the car wasn't ready, it need a new battery, a part ordered, and a couple of things checked before it was ready to go. I wound up paying for my car and never got to bring it home.
I was so mad, I wanted a smoke bad, I was so ready to explode, I was very mean to people today all for nothing, it didn't get me my car, and I am not normally this way, but it was like I had no control, and no mater how much I puffed on the Nicotrol it did not help.
When I got back home, I did a load of laundry, and then couln't take any more, so I took off walking, I wound up walking ten miles, yes I said ten, it took that many miles just to cool me down to where I didn't feel like blowing up any more. I know that I didn't really want one since I have made it this far, but it sure would have been nice just to get one smoked, but I am glad that I didn't cave in and buy any, I made sure that I didn't take any money with me.
I also have to get my house all ready for the realtor on Friday, he will be taking pictures to put it on the market, plus I am trying to get things ready to go to Colorado and Oklahoma to look at housing and find a new place to live, so yes I have stress, but I am going to do this no matter how much walking I have to do just to get the evilness out of me. Thanks for your help and support!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:26 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Bless your hear Yorkie_Mom; what a stressful time!! Kudos to you for hanging tough. 10 miles eh? Wow, they woulda had to call the paramedics for me. You're doing awesome!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Poor Yorkie. What a day!! Look at it like this, girl, if you got through this bad of a day, you can do just about anything!! I promise, it will get easier. I used to stay busy when I wanted a smoke and that helped. Most days now, I don't even think about it except maybe once a day. A lot of people say they keep a pack just in case they really need one. I didn't do that, because I would smoke them Keep it up girl, and good luck with the realtor on Friday

Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Today was much better, I am still smoke free and I will be able to get my new car tomorrow, so just wanted to let you all know I made it through my worst day ever and plan on keepin on. Thanks for the support!!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
woohoo Yorkie_Mom
what kind of car are ya getting?
Hang in there..........I haven't made the leap yet to quit altogether;but have cut down even tho I have never smoked much.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM

cuttin down on those smokes is a good start Northern. Keep it up

Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 PM

I know some of you may disagree with my choice, but it is a PT Cruiser, and I like it so that is all that matters, it has heated leather seats along with a moon roof and many other extras. I am also quitting smoking so as I will always have a nice clean smelling car. When you all decide to give up the habit I hope that by then I will be strong enough to pull you all through, it has been tough, but I am doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness