Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but your husband pushed you to have just ONE??? Keep him away from AA meetings! I have much sadness and stress in my life, which I won't get in to, but one thing you know is true is that it's better for your heart and blood pressure if you aren't smoking. Something that really REALLY burns me is just how nasty/evil/toxic and addictive nicotine is, how a little thing like a CIGARETTE can have that much control over a person. Mind boggling. I also feel a tremendous amount of guilt for not realizing (make that-understanding) just how much it bothered my son through the years, although I did NOT smoke right in front of him, I DID smoke in the house. I can plainly see how bothersome it is since my husband still smokes-he smokes menthol though, I did not-thank heavens for that anyway. So, poprocksncoke-did you make it???
I made it another day.
GOD the mornings are horrible. Urggggggggg... I WILL do it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I am on my last pack, I have one I plan on holding back on.
I quit a few years ago for four months, I had it won!!!! But then family really stressed me out and my husband pushed me to have just one, well then it soon went to a pack a day.
What really helped me the first time when I quit was, a self hypnosis tape, I had to play it over and over, Wellbutrin also works, and the best thing is CINNAMON CANDY DISK, it makes your tongue feel like you had a cigarette.
I plan on starting, with all my things I have brought up, it is hard for a few days, but once you can get past a couple days, you have to tell yourself not to look back, and feel proud for making yourself a non-smoker everyday that you don't light up.
Another thing I forgot to bring up, is if you want something to give you a sucking type feeling, try a straw or a cinnamon stick, it also works good.
I will keep you posted as to how I am doing once I run out. Good luck to all who are trying to give this nasty habit up, we can do it if we all stick together. I also hope my husband can quit, it would be easier on me.

I am with you Yorkie,
I had just bought a carton before New Years. I have 3 packs left... but I will be throwing 2 packs away. I have cut down alot since New Years. I really want to do this.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Well here is my update, I quit as of midnight last night, I haven't had one yet, and made it 13 hours so far.
I am sure tired, but the cinnamon disk help. I did save a full pack of Cigarettes, not for just in case, but knowing that I haven't opened them yet.
My husband says he is going to smoke them, that would be fine after I make it through today, what gets me is he knows I am trying to quit, and he still smokes in front of me. I hate it when he doesn't think before he lights up, and for petes sake, go outside and do it. ( Speaking about my husband.)
Well I will let you know later how I am doing, I am not going to cheat, and will tell the truth. So if I can make it this far I should be able to make it the rest of the way.
You all can be my support system, since I don't get any here. Thanks, talk to you soon.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Well here is my update, I quit as of midnight last night, I haven't had one yet, and made it 13 hours so far.
I am sure tired, but the cinnamon disk help. I did save a full pack of Cigarettes, not for just in case, but knowing that I haven't opened them yet.
My husband says he is going to smoke them, that would be fine after I make it through today, what gets me is he knows I am trying to quit, and he still smokes in front of me. I hate it when he doesn't think before he lights up, and for petes sake, go outside and do it. ( Speaking about my husband.)
Well I will let you know later how I am doing, I am not going to cheat, and will tell the truth. So if I can make it this far I should be able to make it the rest of the way.
You all can be my support system, since I don't get any here. Thanks, talk to you soon.
You have my support !
My husband does not smoke so I won't be dealing with that situation. But he wil be, and has been, on my butt about quitting.
I have 2 packs.... so tomorrow looks like the day for me.

poprcoks= 3 days
yorkie=14 hrs

YOU ROCK !!!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,209 times
Ignore him, do not get stressed because he is smoking. When I quit I had two adults in the house puffing away and I made them feel really stupid when I had quit for a month because I did and I could, now no one smokes in my house and I am not an anti smoker. I just got tired of the wonderful color of my walls, drapes etc.
Go for it, I did after 35 years and bought a truck with the money I saved. I smoked three packs of Camel Lights a day.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Too bad your husband is so inconsiderate about this-I think once a pack is opened, it really makes it all the more tempting to have one. I had not smoked for about ten days and my husband hadn't even noticed-when I mentioned it, all he said was 'oh, no wonder the ashtrays are clean", then of course, "well, I should quit too, if you can' something like that. He should too, since he has high blood pressure, but he also has a type A personality, so it would be torture with both of us doing it at the same time. I know what you mean about being tired too, what is up with THAT?? I heard/read you need to recognize the triggers, and try to avoid them or anticipate them, like after you eat, or when you're on the phone -what a stupid idea the "800" number to quit smoking-AND, they have HOURS to call, like a business.
Here is something that I learned from my eye doctor-she told me I had cataracts, and I am too young-her words, not mine!!-then asked me if I smoke, since that can contribute to them, and i was picturing myself looking like one of those milky eyed old dogs I've seen before!
Anyway, poprocksncoke-do YOU like those cinammon candies? I do, but I better get the sugar-free kind for the sake of my teeth. Also, I have been seeing commercials for 'Commit' lozenges, but they probably cost a fortune, and they might taste like chit! Thanks for letting me vent, and good luck, just try to wait for five minutes if you're really dying [?!?] for one, maybe the urge will pass.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Well here I am 21 hours later, still no cigarette, I had to take a nap today, I don't know what is up with that, I just felt so tired.
I also have been trying to give up my DR. Pepper, maybe not enough sugar, just wanted to rid myself of that since the two went together so well.
Just 3 more hours and I made it to 24 hours, sometimes I don't think about having one, and then out of the blue it hits you, I quick get a piece of candy to suck on or some gum.
I was very tired and a little crabby this afternoon, not about smoking a cig, just annoyed with the husband, he again tried to push a cigarette on me, I think he wants me to fail. I feel spaced out at times, I tell you, if I can keep on going, I would never want to go through these first few days.
I will get through this, Qbaby, this is hard but if we all stick together, we can and will do this together!!!! I will check in later to see how everyone is doing. Lets keep going, if you have ever thought of quitting, jump aboard, we will all do it together, and the time is right, what do you have to lose, besides cleaner air, clean smelling clothes etc.
My daughters coat smelled like smoke, she is only 12, I thought if I could smell it just after quitting this long, I wonder how she felt, having to smell like cigarettes going to school, it really wakes you up.
I do know once you can make it past an hour, then two, and so on, like me at 21 and a half hours, you get that far and you don't want to give in. If you do give in, it is a lot harder to quit, but don't give up. I know I can't stop at one, so I am not even going to go there. Sorry about going on, just getting excited that I will make it through the first day. Good luck to all of us that are quitting, and keep posting on how you are doing.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Congratulations to all of you that are quiting smoking!!!!!! I think it is wonderful! I wish some had better support from the people around you, but all of you can do this!!! Remember YOU are in control of yourself NOT the cigarettes!!! Don't give up!!! Do it for YOU!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
I think you have to have very good motivation.
I cut down drastically before getting pregnant. Stopped smoking while driving (which was flippin hard with the traffic in CA), cutted out a few breaks during the day. This was in a 1 to 2 year span as it took us forever to get pregnant. When I was finally pregnant I was down to just 2 cigarettes a day and when I found out I was pregnant I quit that moment and have not had 1 since nor will I ever. That was over 4 years ago.
I used orange tic tacs while I was cutting down. I probably went thru a million boxes. I too hated gum. Tried the patch for 1 day but almost passed out from a nicotine overdose. I don't weigh much and only smoked 3/4 a pack a day. and yes, I startd on patch #1
Yes, carrot sticks are the worse. They only made me want a cigarette more.
I had tried cold turkey numerous times. It worked better for me to cut out 1 or 2 cigarettes or more a day untill I got down to 1 or pregnant which happened first. After a big meal was the worst for me. I replaced that one with something sweet, even if it is just 1 rolo and I still do it. Sometimes after good you-know-what I get a craving for one still.
Changing your habits and or replacing them with something else really helped.
When I would get a craving I would also just do some deep breathing and tell myself 5 more minutes. I heard that a craving last 5 minutes then its over. Which seemed to work but it was a craving every ten minutes But just trying to stretch that time before you have that next cigarette really did work for me.
Congrats to those trying it. If you are missing those breaks, still go outside (to a diferent location than your smoking one) and just stand out there for 5 minutes deep breathing enjoying the fresh air. Good luck. And if you fail and have a bad day, so what, just start over again the next day.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I made it another day.
GOD the mornings are horrible. Urggggggggg... I WILL do it..
GOOD LUCK!!! I'm still trying to find the motivation to stop, but (as you know) it's soooo hard... I keep saying "that's it!", and then I buy another pack as soon as I run out. I have cut back by about half, but I can already feel myself sneaking back up on the number. You're all giving me some hope, though, so maybe I'll join you on the wagon soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness