U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2007, 08:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,059,537 times
Thank you so much!!! I was beginning to think that I was on my own on this. I really think I will be able to do it!!!
My daughter and I sat and goffed around today, just bouncing a ball back and forth across the kitchen table, we were trying to see who made the ball go into a glass jar first.
It was fun, and it also kept my mind busy, so that time just flew by. I am about 2 and a half hours from making it to my 6th day!!! I can't wait until I make it a week, it will be so great!!!!!
The first two days are the worst, the third gets a little better, and the last two days have been pretty good, except when I am hungry, then you better get out of my way!!!!
I don't eat that much, but when you want it then everybody better move. lol
I can really smell the downey in my clothes now, it is so great!!!! I smeel sooo goooood!!!!! Well I will keep you posted, and maybe everyone else will be back on tomorrow, but I refuse to give up now!!! This is great!!! I almost made it a week two days to go, I can and will do it!!! Just wait and see. Thank you again I Love North Carolina, you made my night!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I am so proud of you!!! I love reading your postings that you made another day. You CAN and WILL do this!!! I believe in you!!! Keep your progress posted. (did you see I gave you a rep point?)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,643,148 times
WOOHOOO!!! I made it through a WEEK without smoking. No cheating or anything. I am so proud of me
Yorkie... you are doing awesome too.. I told you we could do it!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,534,814 times
Congrats to Yorkie, Fuzzy and Poprocks !!!! Go team !

I GAVE IN...BUT DID I GIVE UP.....NO !

As far as progress went, the weekend sucked ! I should of not started this on a Friday !
I cut back significantly on Friday and Saturday. But by Saturday afternoon I had eaten myself into nausea ( Last year I lost 48 lbs.)Even my husband noticed that everytime he came into the room, I was stuffing my face. I spent an hour vomiting. I was so sick Sat., I went to bed at 6 p.m.
I found that giving up the cigs weren't really that hard, BUT the stuffing of my face was aweful. I think it was more emotional (psycilogical (sp)) than anything else. I cannot/will not allow myself, under any circumstances, to gain that weight back !
I had to step back and take a look at other approaches. I have decided that maybe for me, I am better weening myself off, than going completely cold turkey. I did really good with this approach yesterday. I have gone from 2 1/2 packs a day to 5 cigs a day. My husband is controlling my cigs. That way they are not at my reach. I have to go to him, and when I do, he makes me fight for them. Really makes me think. But he knows what I went thru to loose the weight, and is understanding to my fears of fighting that battle again.

Today is Monday, and I am GOING to do this. I think now that everybody is out of the house, and I'm not preparing 3-4 meals and snacks for everyone, I will have a better chance.

I didn't find that I NEEDED a cig. , but it appears I have been using them as an appetite supprestant.

Good news, I have managed to work up to 50 situps a day !

Anyways, So sorry for letting you all down !
Take away my rep point (Yorkie)
I do have faith that I am on my way.

I AM THE WEAKEST LINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 AM

318 posts, read 825,173 times
Thumbs up OK...Hi...I am smoking as I read this...

but I am reading it. My first step....even acknowledging it. Like Yorkie, I started when I was in my late teens, and am now in my 40s. I have a 10 year old son who goes crazy when he smells that I have been smoking. It is the hardest now because I am currently unemployed, and all I do all day is apply to jobs online....and smoke. My son is at school....and I smoke. When it is time for him to come home, I take a shower and try not to smell like smoke.

Here is my thing: I LIKE to smoke. I'd like to have your feedback on how you tackled that challenge if you LIKED to smoke, yet, I think even this topic is unfair to discuss with those of you on the survivor bandwagon.

For right this minute, I'm just gonna keep reading and reading and reading your success stories on this post. Then one day VERY soon, I am going to join you.

Keep up all the great work guys.

Kudos to you all!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
but I am reading it. My first step....even acknowledging it. Like Yorkie, I started when I was in my late teens, and am now in my 40s. I have a 10 year old son who goes crazy when he smells that I have been smoking. It is the hardest now because I am currently unemployed, and all I do all day is apply to jobs online....and smoke. My son is at school....and I smoke. When it is time for him to come home, I take a shower and try not to smell like smoke.

Here is my thing: I LIKE to smoke. I'd like to have your feedback on how you tackled that challenge if you LIKED to smoke, yet, I think even this topic is unfair to discuss with those of you on the survivor bandwagon.

For right this minute, I'm just gonna keep reading and reading and reading your success stories on this post. Then one day VERY soon, I am going to join you.

Keep up all the great work guys.

Kudos to you all!

Well, I wouldn't consider myself on the Survivor wagon... yet!
I Too enjoy smoking. My husband has never smoked, his father does. I don't like the way it smells, but for some odd reason, I enjoy it. Odd though, I went about 18 hours without, the first one I smoked made me sick, and light headed. Thats when I realized that I really didn't NEED the nicotine, and that I have been using them as an appetite suppresant. I can tell you now, that its not the cig i enjoy.
Maybe "we" have to look at it like it truly is... a drug. We are addicts.If we didn't enjoy them, we would not be addicted to them.
I try to think about all the things I do because I smoke. Run around with air freshner, shower so I don't smell when the boys come home, run to the store (haven't yet) when I am out. Waste money. Go outside a restaraunt when dining with friends and still come back stinky !
We just have to find another step to this dance.
This is no easy battle.
I feel stupid that I can't just put them down, after all they are just little sticks of tabaco wrapped in paper.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 AM

QUOTE=theqbaby;258288]Congrats to Yorkie, Fuzzy and Poprocks !!!! Go team !

As far as progress went, the weekend sucked ! I should of not started this on a Friday !
I cut back significantly on Friday and Saturday. But by Saturday afternoon I had eaten myself into nausea ( Last year I lost 48 lbs.)Even my husband noticed that everytime he came into the room, I was stuffing my face. I spent an hour vomiting. I was so sick Sat., I went to bed at 6 p.m.
I found that giving up the cigs weren't really that hard, BUT the stuffing of my face was aweful. I think it was more emotional (psycilogical (sp)) than anything else. I cannot/will not allow myself, under any circumstances, to gain that weight back !
I had to step back and take a look at other approaches. I have decided that maybe for me, I am better weening myself off, than going completely cold turkey. I did really good with this approach yesterday. I have gone from 2 1/2 packs a day to 5 cigs a day. My husband is controlling my cigs. That way they are not at my reach. I have to go to him, and when I do, he makes me fight for them. Really makes me think. But he knows what I went thru to loose the weight, and is understanding to my fears of fighting that battle again.

Today is Monday, and I am GOING to do this. I think now that everybody is out of the house, and I'm not preparing 3-4 meals and snacks for everyone, I will have a better chance.

I didn't find that I NEEDED a cig. , but it appears I have been using them as an appetite supprestant.

I AM THE WEAKEST LINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I will not take a rep point away from you, and you didn't let me down, I said you have to keep on trying no matter how my time you fail, and to never give up hope!!!!
When you can quit for a full day I will give you a rep point for making it a full day smoke free. We all know what are weaknesses are and with mine, one would set me back, so I don't want to go there.
It will be a week for me as of midnight, and I am looking forward to it.Qbaby this is a team,we are not going to give up on you, just keep trying!!!!
CONGRATS WITH EVERYONE ELSE!!!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!
POPROCKSNCOKE, YOU HAD ME WORRIED, BUT I AM GLAD YOU HUNG IN THERE, AND DIDN'T GIVE IN. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

I also want people like the QBABY to write in and let us and other know just how tough it is to quit. Even the non-smokers can learn from us
You didn't fail, the more chances you take to try and quit, you are a better person for it. If you never try to quit then you fail, so don't give up, I said I would back you for ever long it takes, and I mean that.
When people write the stories down about how it was for them, what they tried to quit with. The feelings they felt etc., well to me, it is more help, because then you feel normal going through what everyone before me has been through, and hopefully many more after me.
Keep up the good work, never give up, and get back in with the team!!!!!
We are winners not losers!!!!! So lets do it!!!!!! Always keep trying until you get it right!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post

I will not take a rep point away from you, and you didn't let me down, I said you have to keep on trying no matter how my time you fail, and to never give up hope!!!!
When you can quit for a full day I will give you a rep point for making it a full day smoke free. We all know what are weaknesses are and with mine, one would set me back, so I don't want to go there.
It will be a week for me as of midnight, and I am looking forward to it.Qbaby this is a team,we are not going to give up on you, just keep trying!!!!
POPROCKSNCOKE, YOU HAD ME WORRIED, BUT I AM GLAD YOU HUNG IN THERE, AND DIDN'T GIVE IN. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

I also want people like the QBABY to write in and let us and other know just how tough it is to quit. Even the non-smokers can learn from us
You didn't fail, the more chances you take to try and quit, you are a better person for it. If you never try to quit then you fail, so don't give up, I said I would back you for ever long it takes, and I mean that.
When people write the stories down about how it was for them, what they tried to quit with. The feelings they felt etc., well to me, it is more help, because then you feel normal going through what everyone before me has been through, and hopefully many more after me.
We are winners not losers!!!!! So lets do it!!!!!! Always keep trying until you get it right!!!!!
[/quote]

Thank you soooo much ,Yorkie. Your support means so much to me. I will not give up ! I feel that the weekend was an eye opener for me. I may have to do things a bit different, but in the same, I will do it !
It seems funny to me because I am a fighter. I will stand my ground to the end, if someone comes against me. But these stupid little white things have such power ??????????
I feel weak.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Congrats to Yorkie, Fuzzy and Poprocks !!!! Go team !

Hey Q.. you are NOT weak. You tried.. that's more than alot of people do!!!
You did not let us down. When you hit the bottom, there is no place else to go.. so you get up there girl.
Try what I did.. get a lifesaver if you feel the need to have something to eat. Actually.. get a peppermint. I just read in a magazine the other day that peppermint, as well as bananas are appetite suppressants (something about them being a neutral smell or something.. I dunno.) but try that.. and see if it helps. You can doooo eeeetttt!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post

[/quote]

I DID go out drinking, and I was able to not smoke as well. Its kinda getting to me that the smell and such.. just grosses me out. I think that helps. (Also my pms makes smells like 10X worse than what the are..haha)
This week I am starting on the other half of my resolution.. get my butt to the gym. At least 3 days a week.
And next week I start College.
This is going to be a hard month.. but I will get through it

Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 AM

See that is why we need to keep this post going, it is so important to understand how cigarettes keep people wanting more, and how it effects us when we try to give them up.
It is so good to have all the support you can get from family, but like me I have none to support me, so I rely on this forum, they are the best supporters anyone could ask for.
This thread is also a learning tool for those who are trying to quit, what they will be going through when they do decide to quit. Most of all they have us to support them!!!!
I smoked around my daughter, she started complaining about the smoke burning her nose, and I also noticed her backpack smelling like stale cigarettes, even though it was in an area we didn't smoke at.
I made a promise to her that I would try to quit with the start of the New Year, I finished what pack I had opened, and then at midnight when I went to bed I told myself I was done. I kept the one pack that wasn't opened, back, just in case, but I don't need it any more.
For me the first two days were bad and the third got a little better, and today is better yet. It is worth it in the long run. Just hang in their keep reading, and find something you may want to try, what works for some of us may not work for others. If you need help let us know, questions are also welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness