Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times

Advertisements

I've been an avid smoker for 15 years and would like any suggestions on smoking cessation that have worked for any of you. I'm tired of the smell and what it can do to my health. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I quit when I had a terrible cold. I couldn't breath. Being sick + taking cold medication made me feel so rotten, the withdrawal symptoms didn't seem so bad.
You just posted that you are pregnant. Why not quit so you don't make your baby sick? If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will. Just flush the cigs down the toilet; buy some breath mints instead.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I quit when I had a terrible cold. I couldn't breath. Being sick + taking cold medication made me feel so rotten, the withdrawal symptoms didn't seem so bad.
You just posted that you are pregnant. Why not quit so you don't make your baby sick? If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will. Just flush the cigs down the toilet; buy some breath mints instead.
Thanks. You're right the reason why I want to quit is b/c I want to see my children grow up. But it is hard. I tried when my first was born but failed. I kind of want to make it final this time around.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Cold turkey taking advantage of a terrible cold worked for me. No one wants to smoke when his throat is raw and painful and his nasal passages are spewing gallons of mucous.
I quit cold turkey in Nov. of last year when I got a bad cough. I haven't smoked since and I have no desire. Cold turkey seems to be the best way to quit, then absolutely no cheating allowed afterward....even 1 ciggi after even months or years of not smoking will instantly lead to two more, then four, then a pack that lasts for a week, then another pack that lasts for three days, then five packs because it's cheaper to buy more at the tobacco store, and then all of a sudden you're back to buying cartons and heck, better buy back up stock, so then it's two cartons....evil escalation.
Once you start..it has to be cold turkey with no exceptions or cheating.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Cold turkey taking advantage of a terrible cold worked for me. No one wants to smoke when his throat is raw and painful and his nasal passages are spewing gallons of mucous.
I quit cold turkey in Nov. of last year when I got a bad cough. I haven't smoked since and I have no desire. Cold turkey seems to be the best way to quit, then absolutely no cheating allowed afterward....even 1 ciggi after even months or years of not smoking will instantly lead to two more, then four, then a pack that lasts for a week, then another pack that lasts for three days, then five packs because it's cheaper to buy more at the tobacco store, and then all of a sudden you're back to buying cartons and heck, better buy back up stock, so then it's two cartons....evil escalation.
Once you start..it has to be cold turkey with no exceptions or cheating.
Thanks MoMark. I've quit briefly with the patch and have never tried cold turkey. I think that's my only choice now.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:36 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Failed quitter here. I agree with MoMark - the only way I've ever known anybody to quit was cold turkey. However, I do have some info that may help as I have "quit" for a few weeks or a few months many times.
1) The oral habit is not as hard to quit as the nicotine. Tucking a few shreds of YOUR brand's tobacco in your mouth may help you break the oral thing - it only takes 3-5 days. Inhale while you're enjoying the taste, get used to the inhaling thing - after a couple of days, turn it into deep-breathing sessions (maybe, better sit down for this).
2) Pay attention - at first, the craving is nearly constant. In just a couple of days, you'll notice the cravings being 2-3 minutes apart. If you can distract yourself often enough, you'll notice the cravings getting farther apart - kinda like contractions, eh? but in reverse.
3) As you gain control of the cravings, start taking walks, going to yoga, going to a dollar-movie - places where you can't smoke. When you come out, have a mint - INHALE! Part of the habit is the consistent inhaling - so, inhale something ... just not a smoke. It's this inhaling that keeps us alive - learn to enjoy it.
4) The back of your throat will start healing - it'll drive you nuts! Tough it out - it'll take a month probably. Seriously - tough it out - though it'll feel like you've injured it, you haven't - it's healing. Tune into the healing.
As Mark said - no cheating! Ever!! I've known folks who quit nearly 30 yrs and still smelled nicotine all over themselves in the shower. I think they were imagining it and they always craved - but never smoked. It's obvious that you can do it - others have. Wish I was one of them.
If it works, send me your cigarettes .... er .... no, no! Let me know.

Last edited by RockyMtnr; 12-29-2006 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
If it works, send me your cigarettes .... er .... no, no! Let me know.
LOL!! I will...umm, maybe not. Thanks brother. Cold turkey it is.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
After smoking for 30 +/- years I finally succeeded. I had tried and failed at least 3 times. But it was March and I hadn't been feeling well, started coughing and coughed up blood. Scared me to tears, literally. Ended up it was my sinuses causing the whole problem but the big "C" scare convinced me I HAD to quit. I did use the patches for about 3 weeks and I won't tell you it was easy, but it will be 6 years on St. Patrick's Day! Drink lots of water and find something else to do during those crunch times when you usually have a smoke...like after a meal or on the phone, etc. (I still do a lot of dusting when I'm on a long phone call! ) BTW, I've gained 20-25 lbs. too...which calls for another New Year's resolution now.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
After smoking for 30 +/- years I finally succeeded. I had tried and failed at least 3 times. But it was March and I hadn't been feeling well, started coughing and coughed up blood. Scared me to tears, literally. Ended up it was my sinuses causing the whole problem but the big "C" scare convinced me I HAD to quit. I did use the patches for about 3 weeks and I won't tell you it was easy, but it will be 6 years on St. Patrick's Day! Drink lots of water and find something else to do during those crunch times when you usually have a smoke...like after a meal or on the phone, etc. (I still do a lot of dusting when I'm on a long phone call! ) BTW, I've gained 20-25 lbs. too...which calls for another New Year's resolution now.
I've gained 15lbs in my short break of nicotine. I know what you mean. I'm glad it was your sinuses and I'm glad you broke the vice.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I used the gum. It enabled me to do something when I needed that smoke.

Nicorete gum is key!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness