U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2021, 11:56 PM
 
34 posts, read 20,281 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am paranoid about the COVID19 virus and bringing any shopping home is giving me unnecessary anxiety.
Do we need to disinfect non food items? How long does the virus stay on them?

For example, artificial roses: How long does the virus stay on them? How do I disinfect them?

What about other household goods?
Papers/books?
Please help! Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-26-2021, 01:12 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,825 posts, read 65,386,328 times
Reputation: 105795
Good guidance here:

https://goop.com/wellness/health/how...-and-packages/

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-...es-on-surfaces
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-26-2021, 08:30 AM
 
Location: NJ
16,190 posts, read 24,860,386 times
Reputation: 16273
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbandream View Post
Hello all,
I am paranoid about the COVID19 virus and bringing any shopping home is giving me unnecessary anxiety.
Do we need to disinfect non food items? How long does the virus stay on them?

For example, artificial roses: How long does the virus stay on them? How do I disinfect them?

What about other household goods?
Papers/books?
Please help! Thanks in advance.

My opinion is you're worrying for no reason. I've been living life as much about the same as before COVID and I have immune issues.

I do not use sanitizer as I shop. I use disinfecting cloths on my hands and cane when I get done. I don't do my cell or credit cards. I used to do my door handles but stopped.

I bring packages straight in without leaving them in the garage or a few days like I did in the beginning.

I don't go out that often, convenience store about 3 times a week. Walmart is usually once a week. I'm going to Lowes and Walmart today.

If you're worried, go to Walmart and buy some of their generic Lysol spray for $3.

It's spring, buy real roses
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2021, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Southern California
9,378 posts, read 10,430,433 times
Reputation: 10503
I've been wiping down groceries & non-food items this whole last year of COVID w/ alcohol-soaked paper towels. These are nice videos showing how it's done that I stumbled upon long ago:

This one's about groceries, but I'd wipe non-food items in the same way. I just wipe the outer packaging (such as wrapped DVDs in their case, outside band-aid boxes, etc.) OR just open it & get the item out if I can do it that way. Whatever's inside, those germs should be dead already by the time I buy them.

Re: MAIL, books, magazines that can't be wiped w/ a liquid, I'll leave the letters out on my patio to air out for at least 24 hrs.

Re: MONEY as in bills that I may get, I'll leave them in an open sandwich bag near an open window to air out before putting them in my wallet.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoBI5m2_uw


Here's a video about delivery packages:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sryj2VsuKns
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Status: "Fully Vaccinated" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Directly over the center of the earth
350 posts, read 87,174 times
Reputation: 900
All wrapped groceries & canned goods and our mail gets sprayed with a bleach solution. Fruits get a good washing with dish soap & a good rinsing.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2021, 09:13 AM
 
43 posts, read 13,634 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My opinion is you're worrying for no reason. I've been living life as much about the same as before COVID and I have immune issues.

I do not use sanitizer as I shop. I use disinfecting cloths on my hands and cane when I get done. I don't do my cell or credit cards. I used to do my door handles but stopped.

I bring packages straight in without leaving them in the garage or a few days like I did in the beginning.

I don't go out that often, convenience store about 3 times a week. Walmart is usually once a week. I'm going to Lowes and Walmart today.

If you're worried, go to Walmart and buy some of their generic Lysol spray for $3.

It's spring, buy real roses

Same thing with me. Not even worried about it at all.


I think most people who are worried about this need to shut off the news and live life.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2021, 09:24 AM
 
3,124 posts, read 1,341,313 times
Reputation: 8508
I never did anything like that. Just normal good hygiene practices like usual.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2021, 11:58 AM
 
10,491 posts, read 6,467,841 times
Reputation: 27537
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Same thing with me. Not even worried about it at all.


I think most people who are worried about this need to shut off the news and live life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I never did anything like that. Just normal good hygiene practices like usual.
Ditto. Somehow I've gotten through the whole pandemic (so far) without a single Lysol spray or Clorox wipe. Haven't disinfected a thing. Still here to tell the tale.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2021, 01:01 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,676 posts, read 4,687,057 times
Reputation: 2447
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Same thing with me. Not even worried about it at all.


I think most people who are worried about this need to shut off the news and live life.
Agree. It’s a microscopic virus. It can get in the smallest locations. Including the little openings around your mask. It’s just reality now. I saw a lady in petco wipe down her huge bag of dog food with Purell and then throw it on the counter to pay for it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2021, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Dessert
6,020 posts, read 2,836,694 times
Reputation: 15552
I wiped down all my groceries at first, but new info (new 8-10 months ago) said packaging was not a likely source of infection, so I stopped. I have a couple of comorbidities, but never caught anything.

I still shop for groceries online and get them delivered, but will go back to pre Covid normal a couple of weeks after my second vax.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top