U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 12:36 PM

13,037 posts, read 8,464,510 times

Advertisements

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...rvivors?ref=em

Quote:
Three days after testing positive for Covid-19, "everything tasted like cardboard," recalls 38-year-old Elizabeth Medina, who lost her sense of taste and smell at the start of the pandemic. A year later, she fears she will never get them back.

Having gone through 3 years of living a nightmare of no taste and smell from a severe sinus and upper respiratory infection (it's still not 100 % back but 80-90% better) it truly is miserable!
Rate this post positively

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 3,290 times
I suggest every survivor do this. I've always had a weak sense of smell due to a dairy sensitivity and sleep apnea.

This helps me be more aware and present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzHRz2hciQ

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

2,307 posts, read 802,534 times
Losing my sense of smell and taste was the most unpleasant aspect of my COVID experience. But, it prompted me to eat more fruit and raw veggies, mainly for the texture. Fortunately, it returned one week to the day of losing it.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

7,558 posts, read 4,704,131 times
My cousin, who is 52, lost his sense of taste and smell after getting COVID-19 during Christmas time, and they still haven't returned. He just told me he's trying acupuncture next!

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,228,319 times
Long-term loss of taste and smell can be from nutritional deficiencies or a poor diet. That is the first thing I would consider and rule out.

Supplementing with nutrients that affect taste/smell might help: zinc, vitamin A, B6, B12, D and copper. Also paying attention to the quality of the diet.

People who can't smell or taste are at risk for malnutrition and exacerbating the problem. They are less likely to eat a balanced diet when everything tastes like cardboard.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

31,505 posts, read 33,477,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Long-term loss of taste and smell can be from nutritional deficiencies or a poor diet. That is the first thing I would consider and rule out.

Supplementing with nutrients that affect taste/smell might help: zinc, vitamin A, B6, B12, D and copper. Also paying attention to the quality of the diet.

People who can't smell or taste are at risk for malnutrition and exacerbating the problem. They are less likely to eat a balanced diet when everything tastes like cardboard.
The coronavirus causes loss of taste and smell.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/how-cov...ses-loss-smell

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0413132809.htm

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,228,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, really? ...lol. That's why i posted about nutrients that affect taste and smell. Certain conditions can cause you to be low in vitamins associated with smell and taste, like the vitamins I listed. It's easy enough to rule this out by trying it.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

31,505 posts, read 33,477,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
No, really? ...lol. That's why i posted about nutrients that affect taste and smell. Certain conditions can cause you to be low in vitamins associated with smell and taste, like the vitamins I listed. It's easy enough to rule this out by trying it.
It is due to the virus, not a nutritional deficiency. Fortunately, for most people it does get better.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

13,834 posts, read 22,451,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is due to the virus, not a nutritional deficiency. Fortunately, for most people it does get better.
I’ve been using the somewhat harmless technique of scent training. Basically I just smell stuff. I’m about 80 to 90% back and I’m still five months in. Now, about a month ago I started putting on my cologne again my perfumes. Man did they stink. I could smell the alcohol chemical, and parts very vague parts of the scent.

Just the other day I put on a favorite perfume and I actually kind of smelled the whole thing. That was a breakthrough.

The worst part of the whole thing is the phantom smells. For weeks I’ve been smelling weird things. At first it was cigarette smoke. There’s no cigarette smoke anywhere. It morphed about two weeks ago into like a burnt food smell or like burned wood smell. And then one day I blew my nose and my hands smelled like chocolate. I washed my hands. I smelled my hands — chocolate. That stopped a few days ago. It’s almost like since I’ve started smelling the phantom smells is when my sense of smell really started getting better. I think I had read somewhere that that’s common.

And yes, my doctor knows.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

18,823 posts, read 23,501,323 times
My mother has not had taste and smell in over 25 years due to severe sinus issues and she even had sinus surgery. It sucks but you learn to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness