U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 2,841,445 times

Advertisements

I just got a call from out of my area code from someone who claimed to be calling about my back and hip pain and osteoarthritis. He had my full name and birthdate, but didn't mention a doctor, just "mumble medical".

Of course I have occasional hip and back pain, I'm at that age, but I've never discussed it with a doctor. I kept asking where he got this information, but he was evasive. I eventually hung up on him because I think it was some kind of scam.

Anyone else get weird calls like this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 PM

6,930 posts, read 3,456,558 times
Definitely sounds like a scam. There are untold numbers of scumbag losers across the country and world who have no legitimate life, and resort to that nonsense.

Did you try to Google the phone number? There are lots of reverse call sites that will tend to log similar notes from other unfortunate receivers of these bogus calls.

I never answer my phone any more unless it's from someone in my contacts. If it's important and legitimate, they can always leave a message, and I can call them back. No difficulty there. But it's the perfect way to screen out the nonsense, and you never have to waste any more of your time.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:14 PM

Husband picked it up because he thought he recognized the number.

We usually wait to see if a caller leaves a message; they rarely do. We blocked all numbers that didn't leave a message, but went over the limit for blocking numbers. So I deleted them all, and hubby is blocking numbers again.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:39 PM

6,930 posts, read 3,456,558 times
There's no point blocking numbers, as they can change their numbers as easy as breathing air. And you see it reached the limit already, with continued issues, so that's a loosing game.

Just don't answer, and check for messages left, since those will be the only things that have a chance of being relevant. Other than that, there's nothing more to do. Just let the junk come and go.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:40 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,088,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I just got a call from out of my area code from someone who claimed to be calling about my back and hip pain and osteoarthritis. He had my full name and birthdate, but didn't mention a doctor, just "mumble medical".

Of course I have occasional hip and back pain, I'm at that age, but I've never discussed it with a doctor. I kept asking where he got this information, but he was evasive. I eventually hung up on him because I think it was some kind of scam.

Anyone else get weird calls like this?

have you ever used a mfg. coupon for a drug for any of those conditions? not good rx but a coupon from or a discount offered by the actual manufacturer of the drug?

Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 PM

4,173 posts, read 1,095,121 times
That's creepy. I've never had one that bad.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:06 PM

4,855 posts, read 4,287,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
have you ever used a mfg. coupon for a drug for any of those conditions? not good rx but a coupon from or a discount offered by the actual manufacturer of the drug?
This is a good point. I have a member of my household that takes a pretty expensive medication and downloaded the manufacturer's coupon/card and we've gotten multiple mailings and a phone call or two from it.

I normally don't use the coupons for that very reason, but this particular one was worth it savings wise.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:53 PM

I did use Good Rx for an unrelated medication.
I suspect one of my doctors, past or present, has been hacked.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM

4,550 posts, read 2,077,560 times
A friend works for a hotline for Medicare beneficiaries and he gets quite a few calls from people who received back braces and other expensive "Durable Medical Equipment" such as walkers and wheelchairs because someone called them and told them their doctor said they should get it. They provide their Medicare info and it gets sent to them. My friend always gets hot under the collar about this- huge waste of taxpayer $$$. So it may be that they were going to try and send you something and bill Medicare for it.

ETA: and on another site I just got a banner ad for "Walk-in tubs paid for by Medicare". Creepy.

Last edited by athena53; 04-02-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A friend works for a hotline for Medicare beneficiaries and he gets quite a few calls from people who received back braces and other expensive "Durable Medical Equipment" such as walkers and wheelchairs because someone called them and told them their doctor said they should get it. They provide their Medicare info and it gets sent to them. My friend always gets hot under the collar about this- huge waste of taxpayer $$$. So it may be that they were going to try and send you something and bill Medicare for it.

ETA: and on another site I just got a banner ad for "Walk-in tubs paid for by Medicare". Creepy.
Yeah, maybe that's where they got my info.
My bathroom needs a new tub; do you think Medicare will pay for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness