Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

I know how I got it.

My dear neighbor who rarely goes out anywhere went up to her sisters. Her sister rarely goes anywhere. Unbeknownst to my neighbor, her sister went to a friend’s house and got it. This is a difficult timeline.

19th of November neighbor sister went out and got infected. On 21 November neighbor saw her sister. 24th of November I saw my neighbor. 25th of November neighbor got sick, she called me and let me know.

26 of November her family got sick, 27th of November I got sick. 28th of November the sister was notified by her friend that her friend was sick, sister called my neighbor. Everybody went oh… 29 of November the sister called her doctor to get a test, and within a day or so she started showing symptoms. So essentially, one person who took 10 days to get symptomatic made five other people sick. That’s just us, she could’ve made a whole bunch of other people sick who knows that was never told to me.

I got my test on 2 December, and in two days I learned that I had it so I was almost over it by the time I knew for sure and it was never that bad. However… I have had a litany of issues afterwards. I still do not have all my sense of smell back, and I have had two ER visits for racing heartbeat so now I am on a beta blocker and a blood thinner. I was put on a real serious blood thinner not just aspirin. For several months afterwards my blood pressure was also very wonky. It was high, it was low, my heart rate was irregular because I was having palpitations.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:11 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
My sister and her husband got it from my brother, who we suspect got it from his gf who works at the deli counter in a supermarket. Two of them had a mild case, the other is still on a vent.

My aunt got it from her grandson, who had come home from college. She's always been extremely germ-shy, so not sure why she didn't think he'd be a risk. Luckily, she had a mild case.

Most of the people I know who I heard died; e.g., former coworkers, relatives of people I know, I have no idea, but the oldest people I know who died were in nursing homes and died back in March and April of last year.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The only person I know who had a confirmed case suspects but obviously can't prove that one of her kids brought it home to her family of 5 about 6 months ago.
I find that fascinating that you only know 1 person with a confirmed case! How does that even happen?

My aunt got it in a nursing home, she was already ill, and she passed away after a long fight.

Out of my friends and family, about 10% of them have had confirmed cases, just like the percentages for our county and state. Most got it from a co-worker or friend, and in every case, the entire family or spouse did not get it from them.

I know one got it at an outdoor luncheon that was spaced out, from one other lady who got symptoms the next day.

No one I know that has gotten it has been reckless or an anti-masker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 06:46 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
8/30 people in my extended family have had it. 6 out of the 8 are in their 20's. One of them must go in/out of strangers' houses for her job (DSCF type job). Her husband got it first, probably at work. One of the 20 year olds is a college student in Florida (enough said). Her roommate had it first. I don't know how the other 3 got it. Probably community spread. My sister and BIL had mild symptoms and probably caught it while doing some essential traveling related to work. They had fairly mild symptoms.

We did think my husband had it last fall. He had a fever for a week, tired, breathing difficulties, sore throat,etc. He tested negative. We still don't know how he became sick with anything as we've been very cautious. His only outings for the past year have been picking up a grocery curbside pick-up or curbside takeout orders. He isolated that week. I never became sick at all.

I'm grateful no one I know has died. I remember the numbers early in the pandemic. I spent time wondering who would be the one in my family that died and hoping we would all be cautious and healthy.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I know how I got it.

My dear neighbor who rarely goes out anywhere went up to her sisters. Her sister rarely goes anywhere. Unbeknownst to my neighbor, her sister went to a friend’s house and got it. This is a difficult timeline.

19th of November neighbor sister went out and got infected. On 21 November neighbor saw her sister. 24th of November I saw my neighbor. 25th of November neighbor got sick, she called me and let me know.

26 of November her family got sick, 27th of November I got sick. 28th of November the sister was notified by her friend that her friend was sick, sister called my neighbor. Everybody went oh… 29 of November the sister called her doctor to get a test, and within a day or so she started showing symptoms. So essentially, one person who took 10 days to get symptomatic made five other people sick. That’s just us, she could’ve made a whole bunch of other people sick who knows that was never told to me.

I got my test on 2 December, and in two days I learned that I had it so I was almost over it by the time I knew for sure and it was never that bad. However… I have had a litany of issues afterwards. I still do not have all my sense of smell back, and I have had two ER visits for racing heartbeat so now I am on a beta blocker and a blood thinner. I was put on a real serious blood thinner not just aspirin. For several months afterwards my blood pressure was also very wonky. It was high, it was low, my heart rate was irregular because I was having palpitations.
Interesting.

Beta blockers are scary. Hope it resolves ASAP.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Interesting.

Beta blockers are scary. Hope it resolves ASAP.
Why are they scary? I've been on one since the 1980s.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
The governors pushed the hospitals to move patients into the nursing homes after they were lobbied by the big chains. They all knew that this was going to be a disaster without enough masks, gloves, and cleaning supplies in those homes and the lack of experience handling infectious diseases. The nursing homes got immunity from liability as part of the deal.

https://theintercept.com/2021/03/28/...omes-new-york/

Quote:
ON MARCH 25, 2020, Cuomo’s Department of Health issued an order that said, “No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH [nursing home] solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19. NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission.”

The decision was later panned by medical experts as having significantly accelerated the spread of the coronavirus in nursing homes, leading to thousands of deaths. “They really need to own the fact that they made a mistake, that it was never right to send Covid patients into nursing homes and that people died because of it,” Dr. Michael Wasserman, president of the California Association of Long Term Care Medicine, told the Associated Press in July.

Then, one week later, on April 3, Cuomo signed into law a budget that contained sweeping immunity legislation for the nursing home industry. The immunity, which was fully repealed by the New York Legislature this week, became a blueprint for at least 25 states that have restricted lawsuits against nursing home operators for coronavirus-related malfeasance.

Many actors benefited from the immunity provision. LeadingAge New York, a trade association for nursing homes, told the Wall Street Journal that it had requested the provision. Anonymous sources quoted by the Wall Street Journal said that the powerful Greater New York Hospital Association did not lobby for the nursing home provision, but the association bragged in an April 2 press release flagged by the Daily Poster that the immunity provision, which it “drafted,” included “nursing homes.” The Greater New York Hospital Association has donated over $1 million to pro-Cuomo committees since 2018, the Daily Poster has reported. GNYHA has also retained DeRosa’s father, Giorgio DeRosa, as a highly-compensated lobbyist.

Local news site Fingerlakes1 has reported that LeadingAge’s lobbying firm, Hinman Straub, which also lobbies for one of the state’s largest nursing home operators, had indirectly supported Cuomo through their principal’s PAC, which has donated $172,000 to Cuomo since 2008.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:14 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I had to be on one thirty years ago and researched it a little at that time. I don't remember the details but for me it was a short term solution that I had to get off of due to probable side effects. My doctor told me it was a dangerous drug. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm sure google has lots of details.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:24 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
I and my extended family got it from my sister who was masked as we all were. Looks like it was the new variant in NYC metro area. I spent 5 days in hospital following 8 days of non eventful course of the virus. Dad spent 3 nights in hospital. Everyone else did not require medical care.

I had 3 roommates during the week. All caught it while on line to get vaccinated in a mass vaccination center.

In the rush to get people vaccinated we are forgetting 40% are asymptomatic positive. Why aren't people being quick tested for the virus when being vaccinated? First of all, you don't want them on line infecting others, more importantly you don't want to over stimulate your immune response when you have covid as it can cause the cytokine storm that is deadly when fighting the virus.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:44 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I have to tell you, I’m loving it. I take it at night, like around seven or eight with a snack. I take all my evening pills that point. In about two hours I’m sleepy. I’ve been sleeping better on the beta blocker than I have since my husband died. I still wake up in the middle of the night. But that’s because my cats have a tendency to get the zoomies in the middle of the night and start racing around the house. On top of that I have some empty bookcases and one of the cats sleeps in them and starts chasing her tail which means it’s banging into the wall.

Last night, I waited until about 11 to take it. On purpose. I have been hearing left and right that midnight is the time when new appointments drop and I am desperate to get the shot — I want my corona vaccine. Hit 12:02 I was furiously tapping away on my phone, and I got an appointment on 9 April. I am going to get my shot. I am hoping it’s the one and done, Johnson and Johnson man!

I feel like I dodged a bullet getting away with a simple cough and losing my taste of sense and smell. Which hasn’t quite come back yet. Both my primary care physician and my cardiologist (now I have a cardiologist) are insistent that what is going on with me right now physically has nothing to do with my having had Covid.

That my symptoms are not consistent with the symptoms that other Covid people are having. Like my heart palpitations. My heart palpitations were worse at rest. The “caused by Covid” heart palpitations were people who were trying to exercise and then they realize that they’re having heart palpitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness