U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 04:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 490,002 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it ist safe to donate blood shortly before getting the covid vaccine? Will it make you more susceptible to having a bad reaction to the vaccine?

I've been searching without success to find the answer to this. Every web hit I've found has been about donating blood AFTER getting the vaccine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:01 PM

11,615 posts, read 3,709,765 times
I wouldn't. Why risk it?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:33 PM

13,043 posts, read 8,470,581 times
All it is is a blood donation. No biggie. Eat and drink and go get vaccinated!

Old 04-04-2021, 08:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 2,845,520 times
Ask the blood tech where you donate.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem for most people.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 253 times
It might be a problem in that one is required to report any illness right after donation because that illness might have been present in the blood that was donated. For example say you came down with a fever a day or two after the vaccination then you are assuming that it was due to the vaccine but can one be sure that that is the case? If it were a virus or COVID itself that caused that fever then that would bring into question the safety of that donated blood.

It is common for hospitals to be contacted by blood banks asking for units of blood to be recalled and sent back because of reported illness or diagnosed infections in the donors.

You need to contact the blood bank you donate at in order to be familiar to the policies and procedures about post donation signs, symptoms or diagnosed conditions.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:18 AM

4,031 posts, read 1,740,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Does anyone know if it ist safe to donate blood shortly before getting the covid vaccine? Will it make you more susceptible to having a bad reaction to the vaccine?.
I would assume you would be in a worse position to mount an immune response. You would have just lost a ton of white blood cells that your body would have to make. They are made from plasma cells that also make antibodies. Why put your body at a disadvantage.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:26 AM

11,615 posts, read 3,709,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I would assume you would be in a worse position to mount an immune response. You would have just lost a ton of white blood cells that your body would have to make. They are made from plasma cells that also make antibodies. Why put your body at a disadvantage.
Exactly.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:03 PM

13,043 posts, read 8,470,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!

Not an issue

Old 04-05-2021, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!

Not an issue
I agree that it isn't an issue from that point of view. The plasma cells do not circulate in your peripheral blood and are not normal when seen in such blood sampling.

There would be some concerns if blood tests were taken a day or two after a vaccine which can show a slight elevated white cell count but again those cells are not plasma cells.

There would also be concern with regards to receiving a blood transfusion and then receiving a vaccine. Such events can decrease immune responses as immunomodulation can occur and possible decrease the vaccines effectiveness.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:51 PM

17,222 posts, read 7,230,982 times
I get a monthly infusion of 5.2 liters of Octogam. That is actually the gamma globulin from a whole mess of people. Design to flood out my own gamma globulin. Takes 4 days.

I have decided that I will not get my second shot until the week after the IVIG. Do not believe anyone would have any idea of what would happen if you got the two close together. The old rule...never be a pioneer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness