Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,390,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No one has ever asked me if I have had the flu or a flu vaccine, except a doctor whom I am consulting professionally, and that only once or twice. But I would have no qualms at all about saying "No" to that question.
During flu season my friends and family were talking about how they were handling the outbreak at work, or at home, or about how their teenage daughter got the flu from her boyfriend, and now her boyfriend's entire family is sick, but thank goodness this one or that one slipped by without so much as a sniffle, or that one got the vaccine...and that other one got the vaccine and felt like she had the flu 2 days later but it cleared up the day after that...and how they went to get Nyquil and the shelf was empty at CVS so they got the CVS brand and it seems to work just as well and yes it really DOES taste just like Jagermeister doesn't it?

it's just a general topic of interest during flu season.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:02 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,703,412 times
I've had several friends ask if I've gotten my Coronavirus shot yet. I'm pretty blunt so I just tell them straight up, "No. I'm still thinking about it and want to see what effect it has on the guinea pigs who are taking the shots first. Then, in a few more months, I'll probably make a decision.." That pretty much does the trick. I've never had anyone pursue the questioning any further than that.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:06 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
The above poster has the answer. If you made the decision and are comfortable with it, just say no, I'm not getting it. Or no, I haven't gotten it yet. You don't have to explain yourself. Just say you're tired of the topic and move on.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,390,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I've had several friends ask if I've gotten my Coronavirus shot yet. I'm pretty blunt so I just tell them straight up, "No. I'm still thinking about it and want to see what effect it has on the guinea pigs who are taking the shots first. Then, in a few more months, I'll probably make a decision.." That pretty much does the trick. I've never had anyone pursue the questioning any further than that.
Except by taking a potshot at the people who are taking the shots before you do, you are insulting your own friends, if THEY have taken the shot or are scheduled to do so.

The OP's question - "how do you deal with other peoples' questions?" is more of a social question than a health and wellness question. But it's a good question. I'm glad she asked it.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:34 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
Anybody that knows me personally knows not to even ask.

I am not one of those "Suffer in silence while keeping my gigantic vaccine-injured child at home" type of autism moms. I am an in the store, in the parks, on the trails kind of autism mom. Every day is "Awareness Day" if you live in my community. And my son draws attention to himself all the time. You would be amazed at how many random people have approached me to ask me if "I thought it was from the vaccines".

I tell them I don't have to guess; he's diagnosed vaccine injured & THIS is what it looks like. Flailing, punching, kicking, biting, bolting, attacking, etc ... from a functionally nonverbal, 6'5", 270 lb teenager who draws pictures of Koala bears & watches Disney; instead of studying for his SAT's, getting his drivers license & playing Basketball. This is what vaccine injury looks like. This is what it means.

I don't usually mention my daughter who died less than 24 hrs after vaccination; a few minutes around my son is usually enough of an education. But I swear ... if I see many more "I got my covid vaccine!" posts on social media; I'm going to make my own: A picture of my daughters headstone with the caption; "I got my vaccines!"

For people who don't really know me & haven't seen me in action; I just state we have a genetic contraindication for vaccination. For the average person who is waiting out of concern for safety, I would just say "It's not recommended for me at this time". If you actually SAY you are "concerned about safety", you will be treated like an antivaxxer, or their eyes glaze over & they start spouting their indoctrinated "wisdom" of how safe they are. Just say "It's not recommended for me at this time"; because it's the truth: You are responsible for making healthcare decisions based on what's in your best interest & you are not yet comfortable enough to recommend it for yourself.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:36 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Except by taking a potshot at the people who are taking the shots before you do, you are insulting your own friends, if THEY have taken the shot or are scheduled to do so.

The OP's question - "how do you deal with other peoples' questions?" is more of a social question than a health and wellness question. But it's a good question. I'm glad she asked it.
Well, if you are afraid that you might hurt the feelings of your more sensitive friends, you could leave out the "guinea pigs" reference and just say the rest of it. That should get the message across without
offending them.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:41 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am not saying I am not getting vaccinated but my current plan is this.

1. As long as I am working at home, which I think will be until September, wait and see.
2. I think it is likely that this summer the virus will become tiny / die out.
3. If not, and I decide I want to get vaccinated, I will have 9 months of safety data to look at and I will also be likely able to get the shot I want, and in the location I want...

That's my plan too. The only difference w/ me is, I never commuted to work way before COVID & it will stay that way, so it's up to me & no boss out there if I ever get vaccinated or not.

As far as getting questions asking if/when/how I'll be vaccinated, no one asks me any of this. My Mom, fiance', & I are all who matter & we know what each other are going to do.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:47 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
I am not saying I am not getting vaccinated but my current plan is this.

1. As long as I am working at home, which I think will be until September, wait and see.
2. I think it is likely that this summer the virus will become tiny / die out.
3. If not, and I decide I want to get vaccinated, I will have 9 months of safety data to look at and I will also be likely able to get the shot I want, and in the location I want.

But at the moment, I am running out of things to say when people ask:

1. Did you get your vaccine yet?
2. What were your symptoms?
3. When are you going to get your vaccine?
4. Did you get the Mrna or J&J?

If you aren't getting the vaccine how to you deal with people asking about it and still not give away that you may not be getting it.
Why not ‘give it away’? You’re an adult and you’re capable of making decisions regarding your health and body. If someone asks, just say you’re not getting it. If they ask why, you don’t have to answer.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
My boss came right out and asked me... "when" I was getting it. That made me nervous as it seemed like maybe there was going to be an issue if I didn't. I was thinking his wife would be the problem. She seems like a Karen.

It was via e-mail so I didn't respond.

So far I have been claiming I am having trouble getting an appointment but then one of those well meaning people actually (and I think this is crazy) said I should get up at 4 AM to because that is when the best pickings are and I surely would be able to get one then.. AND she keeps asking about it.

Sometimes I say I have an appointment soon -- but I suck with lying and I will forget I told someone that.
You're going to have to just lie to keep them off your back. And I support you in doing that.

Rabid pro-vaxxers (and it's NOT EVEN APPROVED).

I don't like people right now.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
So sick of people asking me the minute we see each other.
And also very bored with the pics of them getting the shot and displaying their card.
There is nothing private about this vaccine.

I say when I'm asked, "I'll get it when I get it. Thx for asking again."
That's a good response! I'm going to steal it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness