U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
 
4,027 posts, read 1,737,175 times
Reputation: 6393

Advertisements

I am not saying I am not getting vaccinated but my current plan is this.

1. As long as I am working at home, which I think will be until September, wait and see.
2. I think it is likely that this summer the virus will become tiny / die out.
3. If not, and I decide I want to get vaccinated, I will have 9 months of safety data to look at and I will also be likely able to get the shot I want, and in the location I want.

But at the moment, I am running out of things to say when people ask:

1. Did you get your vaccine yet?
2. What were your symptoms?
3. When are you going to get your vaccine?
4. Did you get the Mrna or J&J?

If you aren't getting the vaccine how to you deal with people asking about it and still not give away that you may not be getting it.
Rate this post positively

 
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
 
Location: planet earth
8,342 posts, read 3,658,707 times
Reputation: 18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am not saying I am not getting vaccinated but my current plan is this.

1. As long as I am working at home, which I think will be until September, wait and see.
2. I think it is likely that this summer the virus will become tiny / die out.
3. If not, and I decide I want to get vaccinated, I will have 9 months of safety data to look at and I will also be likely able to get the shot I want, and in the location I want.

But at the moment, I am running out of things to say when people ask:

1. Did you get your vaccine yet?
2. What were your symptoms?
3. When are you going to get your vaccine?
4. Did you get the Mrna or J&J?

If you aren't getting the vaccine how to you deal with people asking about it and still not give away that you may not be getting it.
I am hoping people will become more aware that they are asking for private medical information.

One of my kids works for a major corporation and she told me that they are setting up a vaccine site, but that they are also making their employees aware that they shouldn't ask others what their status is. This is smart from a liability perspective, which is exactly why they are doing it.

It's a PERSONAL DECISION and nobody's business!

I have been thinking about my response and will usually say "I'm waiting." If they push I will say "I don't disclose personal medical information to strangers" (or whatever).

I have had an associate ask me at least eight times "have you been vaccinated?" She can't seem to remember I said I am waiting.
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
 
4,027 posts, read 1,737,175 times
Reputation: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's a PERSONAL DECISION and nobody's business!.
My boss came right out and asked me... "when" I was getting it. That made me nervous as it seemed like maybe there was going to be an issue if I didn't. I was thinking his wife would be the problem. She seems like a Karen.

It was via e-mail so I didn't respond.

So far I have been claiming I am having trouble getting an appointment but then one of those well meaning people actually (and I think this is crazy) said I should get up at 4 AM to because that is when the best pickings are and I surely would be able to get one then.. AND she keeps asking about it.

Sometimes I say I have an appointment soon -- but I suck with lying and I will forget I told someone that.
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Lone Star State to Peach State
4,186 posts, read 4,033,925 times
Reputation: 7743
So sick of people asking me the minute we see each other.
And also very bored with the pics of them getting the shot and displaying their card.
There is nothing private about this vaccine.

I say when I'm asked, "I'll get it when I get it. Thx for asking again."
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
 
4,171 posts, read 1,090,671 times
Reputation: 4285
I haven't seen lots of people asking. They didn't even ask when I went to the dentist.

Last edited by mascoma; Yesterday at 07:49 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
983 posts, read 318,788 times
Reputation: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I have't seen lots of people asking. They didn't even ask when I went to the dentist.
It seems more like a general topic of interest right now. Sort of like when flu season comes around and everyone wants to know if you've had the flu, or if you got the vaccine this year.

Or when the Olympics on TV they want to know if you saw the downhill ski game, or if you are a skier.

I live in a 55+ community so COVID is in the back of everyone's minds here. So it's a topic of discussion. Most of us have either gotten it, plan to get it, or have an appointment for it this coming week.

For those who don't, usually they say they don't feel comfortable getting vaccinated at this point because the vaccines are too new. There's one lady who has certain allergies that preclude her being eligible to get the mRNA ones, but might consider getting the J&J one in a few months. Her husband already had both of his Pfizer vaccines.

The only time I get annoyed when someone says they're not going to get one, is if they use some stupid conspiracy theory as their excuse. It just reinforces the fact that some people are just really stupid.

Other than that, I usually respect their choices. As long as they wear a mask, keep their distance, and wash their hands.
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
 
10,491 posts, read 6,467,841 times
Reputation: 27532
An Internet pal asked when I was "due." Since I am definitely not pregnant, I had no idea what she meant. "Due for what?" Turns out she was asking when I would be getting my vaccine.

At the time, my age group was not eligible, so it was easy for me to give that as an excuse. But this thread made me realize that if she or anyone else asks again, I should have a ready answer on hand that is not rude ("None of your business") or leaves me open to unsolicited advice or pressure ("I don't know if I will get one"--"Oh really, you know it's important that everyone get one, because blah blah...). Now what that answer should be...
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
 
10,491 posts, read 6,467,841 times
Reputation: 27532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It seems more like a general topic of interest right now. Sort of like when flu season comes around and everyone wants to know if you've had the flu, or if you got the vaccine this year.
No one has ever asked me if I have had the flu or a flu vaccine, except a doctor whom I am consulting professionally, and that only once or twice. But I would have no qualms at all about saying "No" to that question.
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
983 posts, read 318,788 times
Reputation: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
An Internet pal asked when I was "due." Since I am definitely not pregnant, I had no idea what she meant. "Due for what?" Turns out she was asking when I would be getting my vaccine.

At the time, my age group was not eligible, so it was easy for me to give that as an excuse. But this thread made me realize that if she or anyone else asks again, I should have a ready answer on hand that is not rude ("None of your business") or leaves me open to unsolicited advice or pressure ("I don't know if I will get one"--"Oh really, you know it's important that everyone get one, because blah blah...). Now what that answer should be...
No matter what you say to anyone about anything, you are opening yourself to unsolicited advice or pressure.

If you felt you wanted to be vaccinated at some point, I'm sure there will be plenty of people drooling for the opportunity to tell you why it's a horrible idea and how many people are dead, have autism, have whatever else, are now addicted to painkillers, discovered the microchip under their skin, had a visit from the aliens with rectal probes, or had to have their bedrooms painted purple, all as the result of the evil vaccines.

And if you refuse to get the vaccine, there will be those who tell you it's your duty as a human being to get one, and how many babies are dead because their moms didn't get a vaccine, or how many weather stations are reading the wrong satellites and delivering hurricane warnings in areas that don't have any rain this time of year, all because the weather man didn't get vaccinated.

Basically - you would need to just hole up in your house and never talk to anyone again, ever, about anything, if you wish to protect yourself from people offering their opinion about anything you tell them (or they overhear you say to someone else).
Rate this post positively
 
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
 
11,592 posts, read 3,706,113 times
Reputation: 12857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It seems more like a general topic of interest right now. Sort of like when flu season comes around and everyone wants to know if you've had the flu, or if you got the vaccine this year.

Or when the Olympics on TV they want to know if you saw the downhill ski game, or if you are a skier.

I live in a 55+ community so COVID is in the back of everyone's minds here. So it's a topic of discussion. Most of us have either gotten it, plan to get it, or have an appointment for it this coming week.

For those who don't, usually they say they don't feel comfortable getting vaccinated at this point because the vaccines are too new. There's one lady who has certain allergies that preclude her being eligible to get the mRNA ones, but might consider getting the J&J one in a few months. Her husband already had both of his Pfizer vaccines.

The only time I get annoyed when someone says they're not going to get one, is if they use some stupid conspiracy theory as their excuse. It just reinforces the fact that some people are just really stupid.

Other than that, I usually respect their choices. As long as they wear a mask, keep their distance, and wash their hands.
You mean like none of them are FDA approved with zero long-term safety or efficacy data?

That "conspiracy theory"?

OH WAIT...

Those are facts.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top