Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:28 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2BX0JZ

Not conclusive evidence but horrible news if its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 12:29 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2BX0JZ

Not conclusive evidence but horrible news if its true.
Nothing really new there. The South African variant gained early notoriety based on the potential impact of efficacy "brake through" and infectivity rates.

South Africa has a high HIV infection rate which renders a highly susceptible group of people for creating mutants because of the protracted course of infection.

Break through need not mean that more deaths can occur in those vaccinated. In this case so far it simply means more illness. Hopefully there will be continued no deaths in those vaccinated.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
"not peer reviewed," "may evade the protection provided by Pfizer/BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine to some extent,""almost 400 people," "14 days or more after they received one or two doses of the vaccine," ...I'll wait for a real study, but thanks for the heads' up.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Nothing really new there. The South African variant gained early notoriety based on the potential impact of efficacy "brake through" and infectivity rates.

South Africa has a high HIV infection rate which renders a highly susceptible group of people for creating mutants because of the protracted course of infection.

Break through need not mean that more deaths can occur in those vaccinated. In this case so far it simply means more illness. Hopefully there will be continued no deaths in those vaccinated.
I have read quite a few stories about fully vaccinated people who died from covid later on. Not a lot but some. And getting sick and needing to go the hospital like I did is no picnic. Even if you live. And we do not know what strain got these people sick. Is it the SA one? Or the original one?

246 infected, 3 dead from COVID-19 in Michigan despite being vaccinated

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-he...ing-vaccinated

Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
I have read quite a few stories about fully vaccinated people who died from covid later on. Not a lot but some. And getting sick and needing to go the hospital like I did is no picnic. Even if you live. And we do not know what strain got these people sick. Is it the SA one? Or the original one?

"The state is investigating hundreds of “breakthrough” COVID infections. They are a tiny sliver of confirmed cases among nearly 1.7 million vaccinated Michiganders. (Bridge photo by Daytona Niles)"

Under investigation, although I have no doubt that there will be vaccine failures that simply didn't seroconvert for whatever reason including immunocompromised. What epidemiology looks for is the bulk of cases generating a herd immunity that can then make cluster of cases more manageable. The stated efficacy was for ideal patients but when you start vaccinating people then you end up with people who are less than ideal candidates that weren't selected in the initial vaccine study. The vaccine study took in mainly health elderly and not frail elderly. The same applies for other disease groups that weren't really studied like those with renal failure etc. The specifics have to be studied and looked at. One would be interested in antibody studies in the ones who died and obviously the strain.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
"The state is investigating hundreds of “breakthrough” COVID infections. They are a tiny sliver of confirmed cases among nearly 1.7 million vaccinated Michiganders. (Bridge photo by Daytona Niles)"

Under investigation, although I have no doubt that there will be vaccine failures that simply didn't seroconvert for whatever reason including immunocompromised. What epidemiology looks for is the bulk of cases generating a herd immunity that can then make cluster of cases more manageable. The stated efficacy was for ideal patients but when you start vaccinating people then you end up with people who are less than ideal candidates that weren't selected in the initial vaccine study. The vaccine study took in mainly health elderly and not frail elderly. The same applies for other disease groups that weren't really studied like those with renal failure etc. The specifics have to be studied and looked at. One would be interested in antibody studies in the ones who died and obviously the strain.

No doubt being vaccinated is better than not being so. I wonder if in Michigan the South African strain might be the culprit for the rapid rise in cases there. My state is doing well with new cases numbers continuing to fall.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

Thanks for the article. Hopefully another will come out from another country to either agree or disagree with it.

J&J was the only one actually tested where there were variants. It just solidifies my decision to go with J&J if I decide to do an allergy test to see if I'm allergic to anything in the J&J vaccine like I was allergic to the Shingles vaccine. I won't just try my luck. Thankfully I have the luxury to not have to go out unless absolutely necessary and have been staying in as much as I can. Walmart and my local convenience store are the only 2 places I really go.

My hub is kicking around whether he's getting one or not. His son got Moderna so he was thinking of getting that one too.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
And this is why you need the whole human population around the world with herd immunity. You leave some areas for the virus to multiply and mutate, you can eventually get a variant that the vaccines dont protect against. So you get a rinse and repeat. So far the vaccines are just bit less effective on worst variants.

The problem is great resistance to reality of covid by significant percentage of population based on politics. They see it as their right to participate in promoting a pandemic and bring end of humans on the planet I guess. Too bad its not just those individuals getting the Darwin Award.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:02 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I read this morning that boosters for variants are already in the works, and are in trials. I think we can expect boosters this year. At least it sounds that way to me.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And this is why you need the whole human population around the world with herd immunity. You leave some areas for the virus to multiply and mutate, you can eventually get a variant that the vaccines dont protect against. So you get a rinse and repeat. So far the vaccines are just bit less effective on worst variants.

The problem is great resistance to reality of covid by significant percentage of population based on politics. They see it as their right to participate in promoting a pandemic and bring end of humans on the planet I guess. Too bad its not just those individuals getting the Darwin Award.

You said a mouthful there. If it were only the stupid people dying, I would say "Eh, NBD." Unfortunately, they tend to live and their unwitting victims die instead.

I got my second Pfizer jab this past Saturday, felt like total crap all day yesterday but much better now. I'll feel a *lot* better two weeks from now. Wife gets her second jab next Sat. (she was on the wrong side of the age bracket and had to wait a week).

Way back when, I said I'd get it as soon as it was available for me, and I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness