Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times

Advertisements

^^

At this point there is no medical cure for hearing loss for people.

This research was started when it was discovered that birds could regrow their damaged hair cells related to hearing.
They have been able to restore the hearing in some mice with gene therapy.

Mice and gene therapy:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-08264-w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 05:39 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I checked an actual research article (rather than a science magazine's article ABOUT a research article). The tl;dr summary at the end is pretty clear:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6556399/

The above link is the source of the actual research article written by the researcher.

In addition, not all hearing loss is the result of hair cell damage/breakage. Mine is nerve damage, and it's genetic, and I was born with it, and it's progressive. There is no "cure" for this deafness, there is only prosthetic substitution (in the form of hearing aids for me and millions of people around the world, cochlear implants for others).
My hair is as good today blare as it was 40 years ago and my hearing is bad thanks to shooting guns.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:43 PM

Here's something extra on the mice research.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:54 PM

Something I was thinking about for adults who were born deaf. What would it be like for them to hear for the first time?

It seems like they would have to go through a process of learning how to communicate through hearing speech and responding to it. These deaf people have never learned to communicate through speech. I think many would still rely on sign language for a period of time even after having their hearing restored. They would also have to learn to recognize various sounds that they have never clearly heard before. Seems like getting their hearing restored would come with many new adjustments.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My hair is as good today blare as it was 40 years ago and my hearing is bad thanks to shooting guns.
well, i've always wanted to go clay pigeon shooting, now that's definitely off the agenda.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:15 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySen View Post
well, i've always wanted to go clay pigeon shooting, now that's definitely off the agenda.
Just use plugs mugs.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:38 AM

14 posts, read 8,414 times
I also don't mind taking a hearing test, I've been experiencing hearing loss in my left ear as a result of wearing headphones and listening to music all night for the past few years. I started having hearing problems, so I decided to have a hearing test and subsequently discovered that I had hearing loss. Hearing aids were recommended by the audiologist, and they proved to be quite beneficial as I can listen and understand all that is said with my left hear.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:33 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
I was born with hearing loss, but I was not deaf. I could hear, but not very good. I had to see a speech therapist for years. When I was in elementary school I had to sit in front and wear headphones. This was in the mid 1950's. My parents nor I could afford hearing aids until I got my first one in the 80's. I lived out in the country with a lot of trees and when I first got home I was startled by the sounds of the wind blowing in the trees, birds, etc. I only got a full set of HA about 5 years ago from Costco due to the cost. I have to have the full mold behind the ear type. My wife is starting to get concerned that if she falls or something during the night while I am sleeping I would not hear her. I am thinking about getting a cheap inside the ear model to sleep in.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:58 AM

12 posts, read 7,943 times
For the past few years, I've suffered hearing loss in my left ear as a result of wearing headphones and listening to music all night. When I began to experience hearing problems, I decided to have a hearing test, which indicated that I was kind off deaf. The audiologist suggested Oticon hearing aids, which have proven to be quite useful throughout the years because I can now hear and understand everything that is spoken with my left ear.

Last edited by Cara Weaver; 09-30-2021 at 02:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness