Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM

1,649 posts, read 4,984,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Did the itching and red swelling stop? Steve
Yep. It did, Steve. Thanks!

I was surprised that the Listerine seems to do a better job than the antibacterial ointment. Maybe these bites need more air on them, and covering them with the greasy stuff impedes healing. I dunno.

They're still there and look icky, but they're healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,842,872 times
Glad to HELP... My good deed of the day. Steve

Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,300,617 times
Tea tree oil works great, doesn't it? I never went anywhere without it.

Oil of oregano works well on bites, stings, itches as well.

My guy used to give me a hard time about the tea tree oil and all the rubbish that went with it, until he had a spark fly out of the fire and caught between two toes. By the time he managed to wedge it out, he had a good burn. So I got the tea tree oil.

Just a few dabs, letting it dry and dabbing again, .. his pain was gone. He was converted ..

Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,300,617 times
I think in a pinch, vinegar helps a little too.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I was out cleaning up leaves and tilling in the garden on last Monday. I showered as soon as I came in the house, and I noticed blood on the wash cloth when I washed my face.

I was surprised. I didn't feel any stones hit my face or notice bites. There were swarms of mayflies, but in North East PA that must be normal for this time of year. I read that they don't bite.

Well, for something that doesn't bite, I have a huge raised welt on my left cheek and two nasty reaction spots at my hair line.

Now I'm reading that the dern marks don't go away. I feel like Quasimodo!!! They itch. I've used Neosporin and zinc oxide on them.

I have social stuff to do this week. Should I just hide, or is there anything else I can do.
Same exact thing is happening to me, and I live in your area! I have bites on my neck and arms and they are itchy too.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM

1,649 posts, read 4,984,642 times
Yeah, Emma. They are really bad this year. Try Listerine. I think that helped more than anything else I tried.

Editing to add: Well, looks like I did mention the Listerine a few times up there a couple of years ago. LOL! Shoulda reread the thread before I posted.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
What is blackfly? Thanks for your help

Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 800 times
Thank you all SO SO much for the input!!! I have been suffering for over a week with these bites...I worked in the yard and garden with my son one afternoon and was attacked! Hurts like heck when they bite - and no, not horseflies or black flies - definitely May flies. Evidently they live for 36 to 72 hrs approx. - thank GOD!!!

I hadn't even considered that the redness and swelling might be infection - but the peroxide absolutely worked almost immediately!!

THANKS! - WT

Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 584 times
Default fly bites

I don't think anyone knows this, but Alum is great for pulling the poison out of a bite any kind of bite. Mix it with some vaseline and keep it in a jar for anything from a bee or wasp sting to a fly or mosquito bite. I just place a band aid over it and leave it for the day or night. when you remove the bandage bite is gone. I've used this method for years and it has worked amazingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness