Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 10:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

For many years I was overweight and ate a lot of salads. During this time I had very bad digestive issues and would frequently have to go to the restroom before finishing my meal. I suffered terribly with pain and horrible diarrhea during this time. It was so bad that my husband was afraid that I had stomach or intestinal cancer or some other terrible physical malady. This situation continued for approximately 12 years.

One day, I was feeling especially bad and I decided to get a soup to sooth my stomach. I purchased some posole, which was very fatty, from a local restaurant and for the first time in a very long time my stomach felt soothed after eating. I decided from that moment on to eschew fresh foods in favor of a high-fat, meat-based diet.

Fast forward 10 years. The only time I have issues with my stomach is when I attempt to eat any fresh foods. Even 1 bite of cole slaw or lettuce will send me to the bathroom in agony, although I can eat avocados. I have talked this over with various people and the possibility of IBS, Colitis or Chron's has come up but the symptoms are only present eating fresh foods. I do not have bloating or gas, which seems to be inconsistent with all three of these diseases.

I take a lot of supplements to make up for not eating anything fresh, and to be honest, I have never been a huge fan of vegetables or fruit, so it is no great hardship to me. Other than maybe lettuce on tacos. I do not have any problems with any other type of food although I am lactose intolerant.

Is anyone familiar with this type of problem? Please do not suggest I see a doctor because I do not support allopathic medicine. The one nutritionist I did go to mentioned that having a problem with "leafy greens" is not all that uncommon. She said I may also be lacking enzymes to digest cellulose fiber, which made some sense to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 10:40 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For many years I was overweight and ate a lot of salads. During this time I had very bad digestive issues and would frequently have to go to the restroom before finishing my meal. I suffered terribly with pain and horrible diarrhea during this time. It was so bad that my husband was afraid that I had stomach or intestinal cancer or some other terrible physical malady. This situation continued for approximately 12 years.

One day, I was feeling especially bad and I decided to get a soup to sooth my stomach. I purchased some posole, which was very fatty, from a local restaurant and for the first time in a very long time my stomach felt soothed after eating. I decided from that moment on to eschew fresh foods in favor of a high-fat, meat-based diet.

Fast forward 10 years. The only time I have issues with my stomach is when I attempt to eat any fresh foods. Even 1 bite of cole slaw or lettuce will send me to the bathroom in agony, although I can eat avocados. I have talked this over with various people and the possibility of IBS, Colitis or Chron's has come up but the symptoms are only present eating fresh foods. I do not have bloating or gas, which seems to be inconsistent with all three of these diseases.

I take a lot of supplements to make up for not eating anything fresh, and to be honest, I have never been a huge fan of vegetables or fruit, so it is no great hardship to me. Other than maybe lettuce on tacos. I do not have any problems with any other type of food although I am lactose intolerant.

Is anyone familiar with this type of problem? Please do not suggest I see a doctor because I do not support allopathic medicine. The one nutritionist I did go to mentioned that having a problem with "leafy greens" is not all that uncommon. She said I may also be lacking enzymes to digest cellulose fiber, which made some sense to me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Well IBS, Colitis and Crohn's disease are all what you call allopathic diseases with allopathic treatments. You don't believe in allopathic doctors then you can't really get a diagnosis for any allopathic disease. You call them allopathic doctors implying there are other doctors besides allopathic ones.

Go with your belief system and see chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, shaman or witch doctors to get a diagnosis and they will treat you for their diagnosis. It doesn't really matter what they call it as most of the time it's all the same stuff anyways.

As far as digesting cellulose humans can't digest cellulose but that doesn't mean that when plant matter is ingested that it comes all out in the stool untouched. it comes out as roughage, undigested cellulose. So a correction of the statement of "she said I may also be lacking enzymes to digest cellulose" should be we all lack the enzymes needed to digest cellulose. There can be other reasons for differing appearances of the stool inclusive of transit times. The longer the food takes to pass through your intestines and colon the more constipated it is and the shorter times will yield diarrhea with sometimes a green color to the stool indicating an insufficient time for the bacteria to work on the stool to change it into brown.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,389,618 times
You are confusing 'fresh' for 'raw'. Many people have difficulty with raw vegetables and fruit -- especially in large quantities.
You might not tolerate a raw apple or peach but if they were cooked in pie or cobbler you would probably tolerate them just fine.
I have found that quantity make s big difference for me -- I can't really enjoy a whole apple eaten raw without stomach cramps but if I eat half and apple with a little peanut butter I have no problem.
Likewise raw carrots give me problems but if I cook the 'fresh' carrots I can eat them without difficulty.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
You are confusing 'fresh' for 'raw'. Many people have difficulty with raw vegetables and fruit -- especially in large quantities.
You might not tolerate a raw apple or peach but if they were cooked in pie or cobbler you would probably tolerate them just fine.
I have found that quantity make s big difference for me -- I can't really enjoy a whole apple eaten raw without stomach cramps but if I eat half and apple with a little peanut butter I have no problem.
Likewise raw carrots give me problems but if I cook the 'fresh' carrots I can eat them without difficulty.
Many years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. My doctor suggested limiting raw fruits and vegetables and substituting cooked. It does make a difference.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
It's a classic case of the OP not having enough good gut biome. When you eat fresh veggies, it's specific groups of bacteria that helps breaking down these fibrous foods so it can be broken down to a liquid form that can be absorbed by the body. You also have to eat enough salt in order for the liver to create bile.

Without bile food becomes indigestible and will end up with all kinds of IBS and bowel problems.

A strong digestive system involves having a very diverse gut biome and increasing the acidity of your stomach with salt.

Another thing is to stop eating processed foods especially fried stuff, too much preservatives, and start eating more fiber and adding probiotics daily. Eating fiber daily is to keep your germs fed, it has nothing to do with helping your stomach directly.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Many years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. My doctor suggested limiting raw fruits and vegetables and substituting cooked. It does make a difference.
Yes, and there are also high and low FODMAP foods. Some people have trouble digesting high FODMAP foods. https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-f...-fodmap-foods/

If you combine this with cooking foods instead of eating them raw, this might help.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
My friend has a similar condition. It is treated with a low-fiber diet. In his case he has an adhesion from a prior hernia surgery, but there are many causes:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351460

Old 06-04-2021, 07:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I eat a small amount of vegetables for the phytonutrients. When I used to eat a lot more veggies, uck, the gas and bloating was nasty and painful.

Now I mainly eat meat, eggs and some dairy, works very well.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
It has been proven that a diet with lots of vegetables and no meat or dairy is better for you and prevents disease. Not only because the meat and dairy have many toxins, hormones and antibiotics in them but also the lightly cooked vegetables provide some really useful anti-cancer and anti-disease nutrients.

Whether you are anti-allopathic doctors or pro-allopathic doctors it doesn't matter, but you need to become informed about other methods of treatment for your conditions, including diet, fasting, and other methods of healing.

Health is the number one important issue in our life as it has an impact on everything we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness