Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well
Plants Without Flowers (I am thinking allergies) 3 5.77%
Plants With Flowers 1 1.92%
Aquarium 12 23.08%
(Medically inclined) Brochures & Magazines 1 1.92%
Coffee and/or Drink with cups & supplies (before Covid) 7 13.46%
Magazines (not medically related brochures) 8 15.38%
Area for Kids and/or Kid Items (like a child book) 2 3.85%
Other 18 34.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 05:26 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

I could care less as long as the doc is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
NO TV. Much more calming and relaxing to have quiet. (in ANY waiting room of ANY kind). TV is very agitating.
Windows with natural light.
Floor lamps instead of fluorescent lighting.
Furniture that looks like what you see in a home instead of in an office.
Art (instead of medical posters).
Hot water and tea bags for a cup of tea.
A small fountain, soothing to hear and to look at.

The first time i had a root canal done the office was just exquisite. It was the most beautiful waiting room I had ever been in. Soft lighting, tasteful furniture, beautiful art, meditation fountains. And each treatment room had a window that looked out on a walled garden with trees, flowers, stone statue. It really made a difference in staying calm. This practitioner put so much thought into putting patients at ease. It actually ended up being a positive experience, and I am someone who had dental trauma prior to that with fear and anxiety around all dental work. Subsequent root canals that I had to have over the years (in different states, I had relocated, so different doctors) were also much easier, due to the positive experience I'd had with that one.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I like a doctor's office and waiting room to be stark and immaculately clean. No dust collectors. Diplomas should be displayed in straight frames (no detail) and seats should be made of leather - no fabric. Clean, clean, clean.

I can't stand it when you can see the outline of a stain on a chair. Flooring should not be carpeted. No plants either. In my own house I'm not a minimalist at all and I love to decorate with beautiful objects of art and soft, comfortable furniture. But for a doctor's office, it's all about disinfecting surfaces and maintaining a clean environment and it has nothing to do with Covid. I've always felt that way about doctor's offices. I bring my own book or kindle with me and I'm fine.
To an extent I agree, but... when my kids were young teens their pediatrician's office moved to such a building and I hated it, the kids hated it. It felt very much like being in a warehouse, every little noise echoed (not fun in a room full of noisy kids and crying babies), the seating was cold, hard and not friendly to parents trying to hold a child, and the atmosphere just felt barren. I'm sure it was much easier for staff to keep clean, but I think I would have traded just a little bit of that for something that felt less like a holding cell.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:30 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I’m always drawn to the wall decor and art work. I haven’t seen anything really impressive that I can remember but the artwork always catches my eye.

When my son was younger, there was a dentist office I took him to that had video games in the waiting room. There were a couple of arcade type games and a Nintendo console setup.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:19 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm impressed when they aren't playing Fox News on the TV in the waiting room. I do like real plants and recent magazines other than Good Housekeeping and Redbook.

My eye doctors keep HGTV on in their waiting rooms ( they have several). I recall one of them telling my husband that their keeping CNN or Fox News on their waiting room TV's resulted in squabbles among the patients. So they looked for something a little more neutral.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:43 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My eye doctors keep HGTV on in their waiting rooms ( they have several). I recall one of them telling my husband that their keeping CNN or Fox News on their waiting room TV's resulted in squabbles among the patients. So they looked for something a little more neutral.
So they can squabble over wall color, countertops and landscaping instead? At least people are somewhat less likely to get physical over those!

Old 06-10-2021, 01:44 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I’m always drawn to the wall decor and art work. I haven’t seen anything really impressive that I can remember but the artwork always catches my eye.

When my son was younger, there was a dentist office I took him to that had video games in the waiting room. There were a couple of arcade type games and a Nintendo console setup.
For the employee's sake I hope they muted the sound. Can you imagine what it would be like being forced to listen to game noise all day?

Old 06-10-2021, 04:01 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Our dentists office is lavish, with high overhead, but that’s another story.

Anyway, when we first went, there was a lovely original painting in the waiting room. After a few years, that painting was replaced with a less attractive print. I’m thinking, Mrs. Dentist put it in the house.

I noticed.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Nudey mags.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:22 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
I agree with: NO TV. I don’t really care about personal touches. What I do care about: Peace and quiet (no TV) and good ambient temperature (no over-air conditioning). I have only been in one doctors office which I positively enjoyed. It had a large waiting room which jutted out over a gorgeous lake with large floor to ceiling windows (like a huge bay window). The place was flooded with natural light and absolutely gorgeous. Of course, I was probably indirectly paying for all that via insurance premiums. Still, great waiting room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness