Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

I’ve worn them for years. Took a little getting used to but no issues overall.
I wear them when driving, using the computer at work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM

810 posts, read 871,476 times
I tried progressives but couldn't adjust to them. I need the mental focus of pure vision. Have three pairs: Distance (driving and TV); Reading; and Computer (a slightly farther out version of Reading). Just had them all redone after six years and took two redo's to get them dialed in. If the glasses prescription is off even slightly, all I notice is the distortion and I lose concentration and reading comprehension. Everyone's brains are different. My mother took to Progressives with ease; my father never did and had to have separate Reading and Distance.

For regular walking around, I don't use glasses. I imagine it will get more complex in later years if my vision deteriorates and I need glasses all the time. To the OP: keep at it and find what's right for you. The goal is purer vision in whatever form that suits you. You should be able to put the glasses on and SEE; not be distracted like you're in a warped fun house.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:14 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I tried progressives but couldn't adjust to them. I need the mental focus of pure vision. Have three pairs: Distance (driving and TV); Reading; and Computer (a slightly farther out version of Reading). Just had them all redone after six years and took two redo's to get them dialed in. If the glasses prescription is off even slightly, all I notice is the distortion and I lose concentration and reading comprehension. Everyone's brains are different. My mother took to Progressives with ease; my father never did and had to have separate Reading and Distance.

For regular walking around, I don't use glasses. I imagine it will get more complex in later years if my vision deteriorates and I need glasses all the time. To the OP: keep at it and find what's right for you. The goal is purer vision in whatever form that suits you. You should be able to put the glasses on and SEE; not be distracted like you're in a warped fun house.
That's what I need. Last time I got glasses they made them bifocals which means neither part is in focus for the computer. I can't even read the newspaper with them. The distance part is ok but the reading part is focused too close in, like they were designed for resting a book on your stomach while reading. Not designed for computer screen distance.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:18 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I had a pair, never got used to them
Now I often walk around with two pairs of glasses shoved up on my head; readers and drivers. If my distance vision gets a lot worse, I'll have to figure something else out, like regular bifocals, which I prefer.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:22 PM

810 posts, read 871,476 times
There was a great guy named Bill Bell who contributed to Swimming World Magazine. He LOVED swimming. He'd be walking up and down the pool deck during meets, always with multiple pairs of glasses on his head, his face, hanging around his neck. It occurred to me recently I'm becoming like Bill Bell! Steiconi, I like your idea of two pairs atop your head. Maybe this is the start of a trend.

RIP Bill Bell.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I have had progressives for years. I got them mostly so I could read the price tags in stores. I wear them all the time except for the work on the computer when I wear blue blocker computer glasses and for reading, when I use a prescription pair of readers. It necessitates having 3 different pairs of glasses but nothing else works for me.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I have "progressive (actually multifocal) contacts which are a similar concept. Drove home with them immediately after I got them. More recently I needed to update my years-old prescription glasses so I got progressives for the first time - drove home with those too. My only issue is if they slip a bit down my nose then it's hard to use the portion for reading so I need to re-position them. But I have no issues driving, going up and down steps, walking on uneven ground, using my desktop or laptop computer. No way will I use readers!

Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I have "progressive (actually multifocal) contacts which are a similar concept. Drove home with them immediately after I got them. More recently I needed to update my years-old prescription glasses so I got progressives for the first time - drove home with those too. My only issue is if they slip a bit down my nose then it's hard to use the portion for reading so I need to re-position them. But I have no issues driving, going up and down steps, walking on uneven ground, using my desktop or laptop computer. No way will I use readers!
Tell me more! Are they soft lenses or gas permeable? How bad is your distance vision? I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old and then got contact lenses but as I got older I also need readers for close-up which is a PITA when I'm shopping.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
I could not adapt to to either progressives or bi-focals.

I am stuck buying 3 pairs of glasses every time my prescription changes for vision, computer distance, and book reading. Add prescription sunglasses and we are talking $1200 every time I need new lenses. It is what it is. I can't stand progressives or bifocals.

With bifocals, I was always craning my neck as the "correct" half of the lens was never clearly in the right place.

With progressives, things were just odd, distorted, and fuzzy. I hate them. Maybe my brain needed time to adapt but I hated them so much, I couldn't stand taking more time to see.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:56 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I’ve worn progressives for maybe 25 or 30 years. I remember no trouble adjusting to them.

I’d recommend that OP revisit the optometrist to discuss the problem. Possibly the prescription was done incorrectly, or there was some other flaw in manufacture. These things cost money! They need to be right. Insist on an evaluation of the lenses and your prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness