Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 06:29 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I rarely drink coffee, but I do drink a lot of sodas.

Maybe it has to do with caffeine intake as well so a bit concerning.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?siteid=yhoof2

Quote:
Well, looks like I’m switching to iced tea in the mornings.

Dismal news of the week is a new study that says drinking too much coffee can shrink the brain and help cause dementia.

And among all the ways I don’t want to go, that ranks about number one. Dementia doesn’t just kill you, but does it slowly—leaving you exposed first to years of humiliation, and vulnerable to neglect and abuse.

A new study of nearly 18,000 people aged 37 to 73 has found that those who drank more than six cups of coffee a day had a 53% higher risk of dementia. On the one hand, six cups of coffee is a lot. On the other hand, 53% is a big, big
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

What's confusing is I've seen studies that say the opposite. Hard to know what to believe.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:02 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Good grief, if somebody is drinking 6 cups of coffee per day (which is a lot!), what other things do they consume that might put them in a higher risk category. Smoking? Booze? Junk food diet? Soda?

I drink two cups of coffee per day and lots of water along with a healthy diet containing lots of fresh veggies and real food. I am not too worried about the two cups of coffee.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM

316 posts, read 304,180 times
Agree with recycled; anyone engaging in that sort of extreme coffee drinking on a daily basis is likely to have other risk factors/behaviors.

I just started reading a book about the prevalence of Alzheimer's/dementia in women, particularly, and one of the big risk factors mentioned is diabetes. I'd be more concerned about soda/excess sugar consumption than coffee.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
It was the amount of coffee consumption that was associated with significantly reduced brain volume. Nothing more and nothing less. Variables such as alcohol consumption, diet, smoking, caffeine consumption, etc. did not eliminate the association between excessive coffee intake and reduced brain volume. Also, note that there was an association found, not cause and effect.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2021.1945858

This was a nicely designed study. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:48 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

The sugar in sodas is likely more problematic than caffeine.

They're both drugs best not to have an addiction to IMO.

I do know someone who is a real caffeine freak. He probably drinks that much per day.

While out on a hunt he pops caffeine pills. Good gawd!

Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 PM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Having gone through periods of no coffee and drinking coffee, I've seen a clear increase in brain activity and stimulation with coffee. That's all the evidence I need. I'd compare it to exercise of the body. That, plus reading, doing puzzles, learning about a variety of subjects, learning more ways of seeing the world, and good nutrition, should all help keep the mind engaged, which should help keep Alzheimers at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness