Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 08:44 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just want to point out that Dr. Chris Martenson is an economic researcher and forecaster. He is not a medical doctor.

This is directly from the CDC's website and I think it's very interesting information:
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html
For clarification, the data in the OP video is from the CDC. It was a cross-sectional study of 540,667 adult hospitalized patients.

The strongest risk factors for severe COVID-19 were:

1. Obesity
2. Diabetes with complication
3. Anxiety disorders
4. Total number of underlying conditions

In that order

If he misrepresented anything, please point out specifically what it was.

Here it is in print https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2021/21_0123.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
For clarification, the data in the OP video is from the CDC. It was a cross-sectional study of 540,667 adult hospitalized patients.

The strongest risk factors for severe COVID-19 were:

1. Obesity
2. Diabetes with complication
3. Anxiety disorders

In that order

If he misrepresented anything, please point out specifically what it was.

Here it is in print https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2021/21_0123.htm
I was simply clarifying that the guy is not a medical doctor. Which he is not.

I haven't delved deeply into this but I do believe he did state that anxiety disorders are ranked #2, not #3 by the way. Not sure if that's what the CDC says or not.

Just checked and that is what the CDC says.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:29 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

I haven't delved deeply into this but I do believe he did state that anxiety disorders are ranked #2, not #3 by the way. Not sure if that's what the CDC says or not.

I think that anxiety makes the list is because that is something people reported having before covid, I don't see how that can really contribute to the severity of the covid case.

Sure, stress can affect your health, but if I filled out a questionnaire, "Have you felt any anxiety in the last 6 months?" The answer would be yes, but I am not overall stressed out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2021, 09:45 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Obesity 58 percent. Being merely overweight is 28%. Since nearly half the general population is considered obese, it's not saying much. The comorbidities, such as diabetes, was only 10 percent. So we're seeing a big drop because the current wave is hitting middle aged adults who have yet to develop diabetes, heart disease, or other comorbidities.

Also, the average age of patients has dropped sharply since last year and that's due to the lower vaccination rates in those age groups.

This topic was repeated several times last year by those who said Covid was a hoax.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think that anxiety makes the list is because that is something people reported having before covid, I don't see how that can really contribute to the severity of the covid case.

Sure, stress can affect your health, but if I filled out a questionnaire, "Have you felt any anxiety in the last 6 months?" The answer would be yes, but I am not overall stressed out.
I'm just reporting what the CDC reported.

For instance, I had bona fide anxiety this past year (it was even diagnosed and treated by my PCP), but I don't have it now. I think it's saying if I had COVID while I had anxiety, anxiety would have made it worse.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm just reporting what the CDC reported.

For instance, I had bona fide anxiety this past year (it was even diagnosed and treated by my PCP), but I don't have it now. I think it's saying if I had COVID while I had anxiety, anxiety would have made it worse.
I know it was from the CDC, I was commenting on their inclusion of it on their comorbidities list.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:53 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:

So what?
Frankly, when it comes to clinical studies I respect the opinions of trained statisticians, experimental scientists, and biological researchers more than a regular medical doctor whose training and experience is usually elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Curious, why do you think that is relevant? He's just reporting what the CDC study found. You seem to be implying that he is not qualified to report the findings since he is not an MD.

Quote:

Oops, correct. Anxiety and fear-related disorders are slightly higher risk for severe COVID than diabetes.

1. Obesity
2. Anxiety and fear-related disorders
3. Diabetes with complication

Old 08-27-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I know it was from the CDC, I was commenting on their inclusion of it on their comorbidities list.
They are referring to people with anxiety and fear-related disorders. Not people who occasionally experience anxiety.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
They are referring to people with anxiety and fear-related disorders. Not people who occasionally experience anxiety.
Yeah, I read a couple things (skimmed) and they speculated that is maybe the meds, amongst other things. Overall, they are prone to more diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness