Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 09:36 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times

Advertisements

35-40 years ago I worked a few shifts a week at a 24 hour emergency vet clinic. The techs regularly took animal antibiotics as needed

It was always interesting watching them working out the dose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 10:02 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22
I’ve heard of people who get scripts from the vet for tramadol, Valium and other drugs meant for their dogs. Sounds crazy that anyone would be so desperate, but they do it. My dog is on arthritis meds and antibiotics from his recent surgery but he can keep taking them, we’re not sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Highly illegal!

Unfortunately, as with Tramadol, the 'War On Drugs' and the pounding on opioid manufacturers and prescribers has made them reluctant to issue scripts even to people with a legitimate need. That means that those people need to source from alternative suppliers, regardless of legality. They are only making things worse, not better. Some people with a real need will end up obtaining a product with uncertain ingredients and dosage, and no control of the manufacturing process and end up dead. Those people will be added to the statistics that are used to 'justify' the misguided WOD.

There was a time when the drugs they list as 'controlled substances' now, were readily available at most pharmacies. There were few abusers, and no 'illegal' trade to fuel smuggling and gang-wars. The people who claim to be 'protecting' us have created far more and bigger problems than there ever were before they started minding other peoples' business.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:12 AM

20,646 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Have you used animal products on yourself?
Nope, and never plan to.

Spoiler
Fish Medicine used on people "Good & Bad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0EJVgDXWk

Old 08-26-2021, 10:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
When I run out of bonito flakes I use this to get a hearty, rich stock for my seafood stews. It's getting expensive so looking for alternatives if anyone has a suggestion.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:25 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Some entertaining responses here.

I'm sure many are aware that some medications used for animals are the same as medications used for humans, albeit the dosages may differ.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:37 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Some entertaining responses here.

I'm sure many are aware that some medications used for animals are the same as medications used for humans, albeit the dosages may differ.
I think that's an over simplification to think of it in those terms. Even within the same species like the pediatric population vs adults ones sees differences and it's not only with concentrations. Children are not small adults and it's not just dosage that determines effects.

Different animal species means differing biological environments. Dogs have alkaline urine and alkaline kidney stones while humans have acid urine and acid stones.

One the surface it may appear the same but they are different organisms. I don't know if animals have G6PD deficiency states but it sure exists in humans that can have consequences when using oxidant medications.

You are gambling when doing so. It's not just dosage.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:21 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Just a few times, I have used human products on animals, but I'd caution those consuming pet foods. Digestive tracts are very different.

I had a friend whose dog had something that looked like mange on a few spots on its back. Since he wasn't going to take him to the vet, when I visited, I'd bring A&D ointment & put a 1/2" thick coating on the dog's skin. After 3 applications, it cleared up.

When I had kitties, occasionally I'd come home to find a scrape or small bleeding spot (probably them not getting along during the day) & would do the same... just a bit of OTC healing ointment & it was fine in 2-days.

For illnesses, I'd take a pet to the vet, but if you have a sickly pet, like one of my kitties was her whole life, it's very expensive. For that reason, I don't currently have pets. But, for myself, I use holistic home remedies for most things that ail me, which isn't much. I'd be afraid to use any med meant for an animal, given that my allergies are so severe, human meds have sent me to the hospital a number of times. I'm also not a medically trained person, so it's best not to play with fire.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:19 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
[/i]

Unfortunately, as with Tramadol, the 'War On Drugs' and the pounding on opioid manufacturers and prescribers has made them reluctant to issue scripts even to people with a legitimate need. That means that those people need to source from alternative suppliers, regardless of legality. They are only making things worse, not better. Some people with a real need will end up obtaining a product with uncertain ingredients and dosage, and no control of the manufacturing process and end up dead. Those people will be added to the statistics that are used to 'justify' the misguided WOD.

There was a time when the drugs they list as 'controlled substances' now, were readily available at most pharmacies. There were few abusers, and no 'illegal' trade to fuel smuggling and gang-wars. The people who claim to be 'protecting' us have created far more and bigger problems than there ever were before they started minding other peoples' business.
True. But now every patient is thought of as the minority - potential drug addicts. The majority of people can see a doctor or dentist, take the medication as prescribed, when needed, and NOT become addicted.

I think this is tragic for people experiencing intractable pain.

As for taking pain meds made for animals? Never.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
True. But now every patient is thought of as the minority - potential drug addicts. The majority of people can see a doctor or dentist, take the medication as prescribed, when needed, and NOT become addicted.

I think this is tragic for people experiencing intractable pain.

As for taking pain meds made for animals? Never.

Well, I can tell you with some certainty, that the Tramadol obtained from a vet is exactly the same as the Tramadol obtained from a pharmacy. The only difference is that the dosage (mg/kg of body weight) can be far higher for the animal.

But what you say is true, *most* of us who have legitimate scripts take as directed (or less, in at least my case) and we do not become 'addicted'. It really burns my buns to see that commercial on TV, where a young girl is depicted unfastening her seatbelt and driving into a dumpster at high speed in an alleged quest to procure another opioid script, as if the majority of people who get such scripts are unable to control themselves and get 'hooked'. It simply isn't true, though it is presented as if it is.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Just a few times, I have used human products on animals, but I'd caution those consuming pet foods. Digestive tracts are very different.

I had a friend whose dog had something that looked like mange on a few spots on its back. Since he wasn't going to take him to the vet, when I visited, I'd bring A&D ointment & put a 1/2" thick coating on the dog's skin. After 3 applications, it cleared up.

When I had kitties, occasionally I'd come home to find a scrape or small bleeding spot (probably them not getting along during the day) & would do the same... just a bit of OTC healing ointment & it was fine in 2-days.

For illnesses, I'd take a pet to the vet, but if you have a sickly pet, like one of my kitties was her whole life, it's very expensive. For that reason, I don't currently have pets. But, for myself, I use holistic home remedies for most things that ail me, which isn't much. I'd be afraid to use any med meant for an animal, given that my allergies are so severe, human meds have sent me to the hospital a number of times. I'm also not a medically trained person, so it's best not to play with fire.
And I would add - BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN GIVING HUMAN MEDS TO ANIMALS.

One time, my husband was getting an Aleve out of the bottle, and it fell onto the floor, and our lab mix, who was standing right beside him watching him with great interest, just scarfed it down immediately.

My husband came into the living room and said, "You know, she's probably alright but did you know that Josie just ate an Aleve tablet?" I looked it up online, OMG! Super, super poisonous to dogs! Even 100 pound dogs.

We had to make her throw it up. Good times! I made him sit with her while she threw up and I made him go through her dog vomit to find it too. Hey, I don't do well with anyone throwing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness