Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 11:26 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

It sounds crazy, but I watched Reefer Madness and the speech at the beginning, they claim that marijuana is more dangerous than Heroin...

I realize both drugs were a problem back then, but it makes me wonder why they would ever conclude this? Heroin was as deadly then as it is today, (the 'strength/purity' of heroin was likely stronger back then), so that makes it even more unbelievable.

The heroin epidemic rages on where I live, there are so many new outpatient treatment centers opening up around here, and they are mainly treating heroin/opioid addiction, the doctor I go to has seen a huge increase in patients, they keep moving to larger facilities to keep up with the demand.

I havent used in close to 8 years now, but I see deals going down on a daily basis, ( I can always spot the anxious addicts waiting in their cars in parking lots...I used to be one of those people...fast food places and gas stations are the parking lots they prefer), when I look over online classifieds, (like Craigslist), I still see lots of 'covert dealers', I can still recognize their ads because I know the words/terms they use and what sections they post in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 01:35 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
I can't tell if you're serious. Reefer madness is an anti-marijuana propaganda film from the 30s that is now subject to ridicule. Weed does not make you rape and murder like the video would like you to believe.

It's dangerous because they buy it on craigslist and parking lots? You know they have regular recreational weed shops now, right?

Old 08-31-2021, 02:55 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I can't tell if you're serious. Reefer madness is an anti-marijuana propaganda film from the 30s that is now subject to ridicule. Weed does not make you rape and murder like the video would like you to believe.

It's dangerous because they buy it on craigslist and parking lots? You know they have regular recreational weed shops now, right?
This. Yes, OP, I agree. It does sound crazy for someone to base their understanding of the risks of marijuana on a source that's 90 years old!

Old 08-31-2021, 03:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I think OP was referring to the heroin epidemic and that he used to be a user.

Not marijuana.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I can't agree more with both prior posters. That film was made with a clear agenda in mind - did you watch the entire movie? The horrible stereotypes presented? The complete lack of reason? And the fact that it is from 90 years ago with no research whatsoever? What about it makes it at all believable? Use your critical reasoning, man!

Old 08-31-2021, 03:22 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think OP was referring to the heroin epidemic and that he used to be a user.

Not marijuana.
But Reefer Madness was about marijuana, not heroin...

Old 08-31-2021, 03:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But Reefer Madness was about marijuana, not heroin...
Yes, I know. But OP said that at the beginning of the movie, there was a speech saying that pot was as bad as heroin. And then the rest of OP's post is about heroin.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Rated by the addiction counsel.
1: alcohol
2: cannabis
3: opioids.

Contingent on country of residency these ratings can change in position of usage.

The main take away is each are mind altering, physically addicting. Withdrawals - high risk - medical supervision advised .

Old 08-31-2021, 06:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Rated by the addiction counsel.
1: alcohol
2: cannabis
3: opioids.

Contingent on country of residency these ratings can change in position of usage.

The main take away is each are mind altering, physically addicting. Withdrawals - high risk - medical supervision advised .
I just tried to google "addiction counsel" - and found only addiction counseling services of various names, none of which were "Addiction Counsel."

I then tried spelling what I think you meant - Addiction Council (meaning - an organization) - and also came up with nothing called "Addiction Council."

So - no idea what addiction counsel or council you're referring to.

But cannabis isn't physiologically addictive. There is no such medical supervision for cessation, there are no cannabis rehab centers, it just isn't a thing.

There are people who have a disorder, but it's not the same as an addiction. Most people who imbibe cannabis don't have the disorder. It is a very rare phenomenon. In fact I'd suggest that sugar "addiction" is more common than cannabis "addiction." And yes sugar is absolutely mind-altering. It's mood-altering, it's body-altering, it alters your brain chemistry.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:35 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I would think that nicotine addiction would be in the top three.

If I recall correctly, the young man experimenting with pot in Reefer Madness just passed out, and others framed him for the crimes. Not sure what they were taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness