Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,576,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Then I guess ite too late...when my son had chicken pox as a kid he gave it to me....
Not too late! As long as you're 60 or older, you can get the shingles vaccine! Check with your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,576,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Unfortunately, Lindsey Mcfarren, my understanding is that the vaccine against chicken pox may not necessarily ward-off shingles in later life? The pox lies dormant from the vaccine, too? or have I imagined this?

My husband did the math for me. If 1:3 people will develop shingles, and the vaccine affords 50:50 odds against it, then you have reduced your chances to about 18% from 33%. Does that sound right? I'll gamble on it, after watching people in my immediate family suffer with it. My luck, so far, I'll be one in three. I've had just about every skin-related, nerve component, thing so far -- things I'd have never imagined I was at-risk for, and evidently my immune system is incredibly compromised. Sheesh, but I have had a plantar's wart on the sole of my foot for over 10 years now, alone.
Anything that changes the odds from 1 to 1 is good! Please get the shingles vaccine!

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 05-16-2008 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Fix typos.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,437,987 times
Got my shot a couple months agoI had chicken pox as a child as did most of us 60 somes

Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
I just went to a talk about this vaccine last night. The guy who did some of the research spoke and gave a lot of stats. bluedevilz is correct about the varicella vaccine. It has only been licensed in the US since 1995. Prior to that, most kids got chicken pox by age 6 or so. It is estimated that 98-99% of adults in the US have had chickenpox. Even if you don't remember it, you may have had a subclinical disease. The realtionship between chickenpox vaccine and shingles is not well known yet, b/c the vaccine (chickenpox) hasn't been out long enough.

The severity of the pain from chickenpox increases as age increases. I had it at 34 and it wasn't *too* bad (bad enough, I might say).

Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,352,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Unfortunately, Lindsey Mcfarren, my understanding is that the vaccine against chicken pox may not necessarily ward-off shingles in later life? The pox lies dormant from the vaccine, too? or have I imagined this?

My husband did the math for me. If 1:3 people will develop shingles, and the vaccine affords 50:50 odds against it, then you have reduced your chances to about 18% from 33%. Does that sound right? I'll gamble on it, after watching people in my immediate family suffer with it. My luck, so far, I'll be one in three. I've had just about every skin-related, nerve component, thing so far -- things I'd have never imagined I was at-risk for, and evidently my immune system is incredibly compromised. Sheesh, but I have had a plantar's wart on the sole of my foot for over 10 years now, alone.
I had not read that but it wouldn't surprise me. I know when she got it, the vaccine hadn't been around that long so some of the long term effects were not known.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 PM

713 posts, read 2,710,731 times
I just read that because this is a partial live virus vaccine that I cannot get the shot, due to that I take an immunosuppresive medication.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,352,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I just read that because this is a partial live virus vaccine that I cannot get the shot, due to that I take an immunosuppresive medication.
Anyone who is pregnant, has a suppressed immune system like in the case of organ transplants, bone marrow etc. or people with HIV can't take a live vaccine.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
It is a live virus vaccine. It is possible that you can't take it because of your medication. Some people with some forms of immunosuppression can take some live vaccines (it's complicated). There are all sorts of guidlines for this stuff. You might find some more information about this on Immunization Action Coalition and Hepatitis B Coalition

Old 05-31-2008, 02:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,960,148 times
So then if you don't get the varicella vaccine, you have a 33% chance (1 in 3) of getting shingles, but if you get the vaccine you have a 50% chance? Does not seem like a good deal to me! (Or maybe I have it backwards?)

I had shingles a few years ago. I was only 26 and I bounced back very quickly with few ill effects. Once you have shingles, I don't know if you can get it again?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,315,311 times
So then if you don't get the varicella vaccine, you have a 33% chance (1 in 3) of getting shingles, but if you get the vaccine you have a 50% chance?

I think that, if the unvaccinated person has a 1-in-3 chance of getting shingles and the vaccine reduces the chance to 50-50, the vaccinated person has a 1-in-6 chance of getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness