Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 01:02 AM

3,600 posts, read 1,625,476 times

Advertisements

If you haven't had a heart attack or stroke and are 60+, the bleeding risk outweighs benefits of aspirin in the elderly in new studies. Just stopped daily baby aspirin for elderly mom now. Worthwile to discuss this with your Doctor.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/10452...od-task-force-

Last edited by Fisherman99; 10-14-2021 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 06:27 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,254,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
If you haven't had a heart attack or stroke and are 60+, the bleeding risk outweighs benefits of aspirin in the elderly in new studies. Just stopped daily baby aspirin for elderly mom now. Worthwile to discuss this with your Doctor.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/10452...od-task-force-
This is not news to me.

Cardiologist Stephen Sinatra warned about this in 2016. He has written a some great books including Metabolic Cardiology.

https://www.healthydirections.com/ar...myths-debunked

"I saw many new patients taking aspirin for primary prevention who had symptoms of aspirin side effects, including overt bruising and gastrointestinal bleeding. I got them to kick that habit in a hurry."

Old 10-14-2021, 08:32 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,813,333 times
I keep chewable "baby" aspirin on hand in case of an MI. Studies have shown that chewing aspirin is more effective than swallowing it. Aspirin works in about 15 minutes to prevent blood clots.

I do not, however, take aspirin every day. That would be crazy.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:21 AM

14,801 posts, read 11,948,149 times
I saw those new recommendations. USPSTF said daily aspirin taken by people aged 40-59 with a moderate risk of CAD within 10 years showed some benefit associated with taking aspirin. But those over 60 years of age with the same risk showed no benefit, but there is a higher risk of GI bleeds in this older population.

So it seems taking daily aspirin is not an overall recommendation for the masses over 60, but a matter to be considered with one's health care provider. A little like taking statins.

I've never taken aspirin on a daily basis, found I tended to get petechiae ( little red spots where capillaries burst) when I did so. I've also had gastric ulcers.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 666,292 times
Gee. I wonder what the motive is behind this new recommendation? It couldn't have anything to do with control and not wanting people to use baby aspirin to prevent or treat Covid, could it? (There are only "approved protocols" for prevention/treatment now).

Old 10-14-2021, 03:36 PM

14,200 posts, read 11,447,661 times
Back in the 1980s, my uncle, who was a doctor, told my dad about the recommendation that people their age (50s) should take an aspirin every day to prevent heart attacks and strokes. They both did this for several years.

In 1989, my uncle and aunt were in a head-on collision. She was killed instantly; his injuries seemed less severe and they thought he would survive, but they could not stop his internal bleeding and he also died a couple of days later. He was 62.

My dad immediately stopped taking daily aspirin. He lived to the age of 94.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:21 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,029,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Back in the 1980s, my uncle, who was a doctor, told my dad about the recommendation that people their age (50s) should take an aspirin every day to prevent heart attacks and strokes. They both did this for several years.

In 1989, my uncle and aunt were in a head-on collision. She was killed instantly; his injuries seemed less severe and they thought he would survive, but they could not stop his internal bleeding and he also died a couple of days later. He was 62.

My dad immediately stopped taking daily aspirin. He lived to the age of 94.
Having blood type O, I am at higher risk of dying from blood loss with trauma (like a car accident) than other blood types. This is because of lower levels of a clotting agent in type O. The risk is thought to be 3 times higher.

I never took aspirin.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:24 PM

10,407 posts, read 7,502,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I keep chewable "baby" aspirin on hand in case of an MI. Studies have shown that chewing aspirin is more effective than swallowing it. Aspirin works in about 15 minutes to prevent blood clots.

I do not, however, take aspirin every day. That would be crazy.
That's a good tip.

I bleed easily enough without taking aspirin. Used to take it once in a blue moon to help with sleep, now just go with melatonin.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:53 PM

457 posts, read 388,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This is not news to me.

Cardiologist Stephen Sinatra warned about this in 2016. He has written a some great books including Metabolic Cardiology.

https://www.healthydirections.com/ar...myths-debunked

"I saw many new patients taking aspirin for primary prevention who had symptoms of aspirin side effects, including overt bruising and gastrointestinal bleeding. I got them to kick that habit in a hurry."
Exactly. Why is being reported as "new" news...?

Old 10-15-2021, 05:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,332,154 times
Thought 81 mg was safe to alleviate clots?

Being anemic itself you would think would lower the risk of a stroke..? No?

Maybe I'm not capturing the reasoning for this change in aspirin regimen.

I have stomach ulcers and bleed quickly, yet my family on both sides has not skipped three generations of strokes. Its not IF , its WHEN ....that dern near sends me into a high stress mode.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness